GWT: EPL - Matchweek 5

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Emi looked like he had a rough game based off highlights those goal were awful. Never seen that from him. Must be sick of Gerrard

agree with bluesfan, he was actually really good. he DOES however look like he's over 40, that i cant wrap my head around

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Not at all. Diaz was good. If anything it’s a sign they’re gonna have some studs going forward. Add Bellingham and they’re off

I think as Elliott, Diaz and Carvalho get settled they’re going to be ok breaking stuff down as well
Diaz isn’t exactly young. Nunez, Carvalho, Elliott, Jones, TAA. That’s the young core.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
The only guy that even possibly refers to is Djed Spence, and I don’t know what he was going to do. Perisic was Tottenham’s best player yesterday.

I’m sure no one was clamoring for Lenglet.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Diaz isn’t exactly young. Nunez, Carvalho, Elliott, Jones, TAA. That’s the young core.
He doesn't turn 26 until January.

I would also argue Konate, Jota and Gomez, none of which are even 26 yet, and who knows about some of the young academy players. Bajcetic could be a player down the road.

There's more young talent than people think. That's at least 6-7 players who are getting significant / key minutes. Sure, gotta flesh it out as it goes, but that's a pretty strong core.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
He doesn't turn 26 until January.

I would also argue Konate, Jota and Gomez, none of which are even 26 yet, and who knows about some of the young academy players. Bajcetic could be a player down the road.

There's more young talent than people think. That's at least 6-7 players who are getting significant / key minutes. Sure, gotta flesh it out as it goes, but that's a pretty strong core.
I guess 26 doesn’t feel that going to me. But then I’m viewing that from an arsenal perspective where no one is old

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'll go out on a limb here and say that he's the best defensive talent that I have seen since VVD. At least at such a young age.

When Virgil came to Southampton, he was already a finished article. He just needed to prove himself in the Premier League before getting his big move to Liverpool. The rest is history.

Now obviously it's very early days and his form could change (I really hope not!), but he's quite clearly a very exciting prospect.

Speed, power, pace, agility, good IQ, humble, great in the air and a good passer of the ball. His composure is stunning, doesn't lose his head at all.

He's forming a very good partnership with Salisu who is a good young player in his own right too.

Southampton have brought in a new defensive coach and it seems to be paying dividends. We look lightyears ahead of years past, probably the best we've looked defensively since VVD and Fonte.

I am very excited by ABK. Enjoy him while we have him situation.

Awesome to hear. He's certainly still far from the finished article...as I mentioned, he lost his starting spot for Bochum in the first half of last year because he was struggling to track runners in crowds at the 1st division level, but things started to slow down for him and he had a strong second half to the season; after having been a key part of their promotion push the year before.

The tools are all there, if experience will clean up the mental aspects of defending that he's still learning, so it's nice to hear he's adapting well early.

With Schlotterbeck's amazing development at the senior level, Süle getting his s*** together, and kids like Dardai, Thiaw, Bright-Mbi, Gechter, etc.; CB is a much stronger position for us than it was just a cycle ago...but I think ABK is the best CB prospect we've had since Tah & Süle, or maybe even Hummels & Boateng.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Diaz is in his prime. I wish Liverpool had more players in their prime. They have a lot that are too young and a lot that are exiting/has exited their primes

Reactions: JeffreyLFC

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
They have like three players who are u20 on the senior squad.
Who and how many are the u20 players on Arsenal?

The focus on youth in football isn't nearly as relevant as say hockey, unless you're trying to be a budget club nurturing youth and selling at a mint. I can guarantee the Arsenal "core" of youth players they have now won't be the same core they have a decade from now.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Who and how many are the u20 players on Arsenal?

The focus on youth in football isn't nearly as relevant as say hockey, unless you're trying to be a budget club nurturing youth and selling at a mint. I can guarantee the Arsenal "core" of youth players they have now won't be the same core they have a decade from now.
Saka and Marquinhos but if we go to u23, add ESR, Vieira, Martinelli, Lokonga, Saliba, Odegaard, Nketiah, Tomiyasu, and Nelson. Or put another way, the only arsenal players over the age of 25 are Bellerin, Partey, Holding, Cedric, El Neny, Turner, and Xhaka.

I sure hope that arsenal’s core changes. You need youth in a squad.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They have like three players who are u20 on the senior squad.
Right. either way, LFC is one of the oldest teams in the league and there is a donut hole shaped void of players in their prime ages.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You spent 85mil on a striker….?
They did not. They spent roughly 65m with add ones. And they had to sacrifice Mane to do it. As well as Minamino, Williams and (lol) Davies to do it.

Initial fee 75m euros which converts to 64.73m GBP

(estimates)

Darwin = 64.73m

Mane = 27m
Minamino = 13m
Williams = 16m
Davies = 3m
Total = 59m

Net Spend = 5.73m

I know net spend math isn’t your strong suit because your team does not have to worry about it. But compare LFC net spend to the rest of the league this summer and it speaks for itself. And LFC saved money on wages too.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
They did not. They spent roughly 65m with add ones. And they had to sacrifice Mane to do it. As well as Minamino, Williams and (lol) Davies to do it.

Initial fee 75m euros which converts to 64.73m GBP

(estimates)

Darwin = 64.73m

Mane = 27m
Minamino = 13m
Williams = 16m
Davies = 3m
Total = 59m

Net Spend = 5.73m

I know net spend math isn’t your strong suit because your team does not have to worry about it. But compare LFC net spend to the rest of the league this summer and it speaks for itself. And LFC saved money on wages too.
You should be madder about the seemingly tunnel vision strategy than a willingness to spend money. They were willing to spend the money on Tchouameni. They spent the money on Darwin. The issue isn't a willingness to spend money, it's a pigheaded obstinance to do it "their way", which is a very different issue. That seems more a football issue, than an ownership/money issue.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You should be madder about the seemingly tunnel vision strategy than a willingness to spend money. They were willing to spend the money on Tchouameni. They spent the money on Darwin. The issue isn't a willingness to spend money, it's a pigheaded obstinance to do it "their way", which is a very different issue. That seems more a football issue, than an ownership/money issue.
Oh I assure you I am mad about both. One issue at a time though. Will wait until window closes for my full report. Something for you to look forward to tomorrow. I’ve left some breadcrumbs though if you want to look at post history and in transfer thread.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, why should he be mad about the strategy? It's won a ton of trophies and ran close to a lot more.

It's foolish to sit here and act like what they've done hasn't worked.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I mean, why should he be mad about the strategy? It's won a ton of trophies and ran close to a lot more.

It's foolish to sit here and act like what they've done hasn't worked.
I mean, that’s a conversation it sounds like needs to be had with your fan base, not with me. I just think it’s not a correct framing to have this as a cheap/not willing to spend money issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad