GWT: EPL - Matchweek 5

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I'm honestly not that concerned about our results this season yet. I am concerned that we have only two midfielders without a long injury history. It seems like somebody should know better.
You and I know they decided early on when they couldn't get the kid from Monaco, and Bellingham wasn't moving, that they would make do with what they had. they've done it repeatedly.

in a perfect world, Henderson / Thiago / Fabinho / Elliott would have played the lion's share of the match time, and it would not matter. Henderson played a crap load of minutes, and was looking like he had rediscovered some of his fitness last season. Fabinho has had some injury spells, but I don't think they expect him to be out.

One of Jones / Keita / Milner was also around there to pickup the slack.

I agree they wanted a midfielder, but had they got the one they wanted, I think they move Ox (before the injury) and likely one other on.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'm honestly not that concerned about our results this season yet. I am concerned that we have only two midfielders without a long injury history. It seems like somebody should know better.
More than two.

I’m concerned that we are -7 compared to last season. No margin for error against “Top 6” teams now. Especially after losing to Utd

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I mean maybe this year is a slight transition year for Liverpool? But I mean they’re already doing a good job of laying the groundwork for the next core group. Konaté and TAA are both 23. Jones and Elliott are 19 and 21. Jota, Diaz, and Nunez are 23 and 25.

I mean for a club run as well as you guys are that’s an easy core to build around. Obviously replacing Salah probably will be a downgrade, but adding a big CM next year and I’d guess a CB in the near future should set you guys up for another go at PL and CL contention. I really don’t get the doom and gloom.
Liverpool definitely is looking to transition, but they need another couple young midfielders and defenders. They have rebuilt their attack well with Diaz - Nunez - Jota, assuming all get more consistent at their top levels. Elliott looks like he could be a player, and so does Carvalho, but that midfield would be missing a spine. Bellingham would help, but they need another defensively sound midfielder in there as well. Who knows what'll happen with Jones.

TAA and Konate is a good start, but TAA has his defensive issues that are often covered by strong CB play. The problem is that VvD won't be there forever, Gomez looks bad and is never healthy, Matip isn't young and Konate has his own injury issues. I've liked Tsimikas so far, but not sure he's a sure fire starter in the future. I haven't seen Ramsay play enough to know anything about him.

Now, I have no idea about Liverpool's youth players to know whether they'll have replacements coming in. I'm a little skeptical about Liverpool's youth program because they've brought in two, maybe three players in recent memory (Gomez, TAA, maybe Elliott) and one of those no longer looks great due to injuries. I do remember hearing a lot about youth players that haven't panned out - Ojo Ibe, Wilson, Woodburn, Hoever, etc.

Of course, you could probably do something similar with Arsenal with players like Zelalem, JRA, TJJ, and AMN, among others. The difference is that Arsenal does have young players throughout their side, even if Arsenal needs a couple young midfielders in the near future. Frankly, depending on how this season goes, I would love to make a run at Bellingham ourselves, and we could be selling an up and coming side with Champions League football. Or, you know, a young, title winning team ready to run it back.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Keita, Chamberlain and (probably) Milner are going to be out. That’s three bodies. And that’s not taking any additional numbers to the squad.
How many matches do you really expect Ox and Keita to play? Last year Naby did 23... but that's his most since year one. They don't expect him to play more than that to be honest. Ox played 17, but much of that was in late subs or matches when players would out to the African tourney.

Milner plays a decent bit, but his minutes are often close out, coming on late. Give those minutes to Thiago or Henderson going forward.

Going forward, I would expect many of those minutes could be taken by Carvalho or others. Yes, they need two midfielders, but they hope they get one who plays 40, not 15.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
How many matches do you really expect Ox and Keita to play? Last year Naby did 23... but that's his most since year one. They don't expect him to play more than that to be honest. Ox played 17, but much of that was in late subs or matches when players would out to the African tourney.

Milner plays a decent bit, but his minutes are often close out, coming on late. Give those minutes to Thiago or Henderson going forward.

Going forward, I would expect many of those minutes could be taken by Carvalho or others. Yes, they need two midfielders, but they hope they get one who plays 40, not 15.
The better question is how many matches did Klopp expect them to play. He was certainly counting on them this season.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
More than two.

I’m concerned that we are -7 compared to last season. No margin for error against “Top 6” teams now. Especially after losing to Utd
No I would say Milner and Carvalho are the only mids we have who don’t get hurt all the time. Hendo now out at least two weeks lol.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
No I would say Milner and Carvalho are the only mids we have who don’t get hurt all the time. Hendo now out at least two weeks lol.
Oh I read that wrong that we only had two injury prone guys (although I will say I am not sure if we should count Carvalho as a mid or a forward) and Milner at his age isn’t a guarantee either

Reactions: Live in the Now

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Liverpool definitely is looking to transition, but they need another couple young midfielders and defenders. They have rebuilt their attack well with Diaz - Nunez - Jota, assuming all get more consistent at their top levels. Elliott looks like he could be a player, and so does Carvalho, but that midfield would be missing a spine. Bellingham would help, but they need another defensively sound midfielder in there as well. Who knows what'll happen with Jones.

TAA and Konate is a good start, but TAA has his defensive issues that are often covered by strong CB play. The problem is that VvD won't be there forever, Gomez looks bad and is never healthy, Matip isn't young and Konate has his own injury issues. I've liked Tsimikas so far, but not sure he's a sure fire starter in the future. I haven't seen Ramsay play enough to know anything about him.

Now, I have no idea about Liverpool's youth players to know whether they'll have replacements coming in. I'm a little skeptical about Liverpool's youth program because they've brought in two, maybe three players in recent memory (Gomez, TAA, maybe Elliott) and one of those no longer looks great due to injuries. I do remember hearing a lot about youth players that haven't panned out - Ojo Ibe, Wilson, Woodburn, Hoever, etc.

Of course, you could probably do something similar with Arsenal with players like Zelalem, JRA, TJJ, and AMN, among others. The difference is that Arsenal does have young players throughout their side, even if Arsenal needs a couple young midfielders in the near future. Frankly, depending on how this season goes, I would love to make a run at Bellingham ourselves, and we could be selling an up and coming side with Champions League football. Or, you know, a young, title winning team ready to run it back.
I mean like I said there’s work to be done, but it’s not like VVD/Salah/ Fabinho are going to shit next season. Liverpool needs a few signings in a few areas, but I don’t see why Liverpool fans should have much reservation about the recruiting for those positions. They killed it with their scouting over the last line 8 years.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
If you sign Bellingham, he plays 40 matches if you can keep him fit.

That's two or three of the squad extras not getting ANY minutes. with 5 subs, you can keep some happy, but you're proportioning a pie differently based on talent.

I think back to the seasons when it was basically Hendo / Gini / one other.

They're not going to rotate as much if they go out and pay 100 million for a guy.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I mean like I said there’s work to be done, but it’s not like VVD/Salah/ Fabinho are going to shit next season. Liverpool needs a few signings in a few areas, but I don’t see why Liverpool fans should have much reservation about the recruiting for those positions. They killed it with their scouting over the last line 8 years.
Isn't a huge part of that on Edwards who left?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
That's fair, and agree. There will likely be a transition period when your current core ages out, so then it comes down to scouting and recruitment. I'd have more faith than not that they'll have a successful plan.

And maybe some of the sentiment is being scared of a post-Klopp life because you all remember what it was like before Klopp. I can get that too.
That is the worry. Most LFC fans realise that Klopp was the main difference between success and failure. Prior to him, LFC recruitement was a complete mess. Let's say I have little faith in a post Klopp era with FSG as owner.

Keita, Chamberlain and (probably) Milner are going to be out. That’s three bodies. And that’s not taking any additional numbers to the squad.
+ Thiago/Henderson/Fabinho aging as well.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
United playing with a ton of confidence is fantastic. Pretty sure that buildup is some of the best ball movement I’ve seen from them in a while.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
much as I don't wish united any success, there's another part of me that would cherish Ten Hag turning out to be the real deal after everyone claiming he was way out of his depth two weeks in

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
much as I don't wish united any success, there's another part of me that would cherish Ten Hag turning out to be the real deal after everyone claiming he was way out of his depth two weeks in
It’s hilarious seeing the difference in articles over the two weeks. “Ten Hag a bust as a manager” to “How Ten Hag has started to rebuild United” lmao

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I was an ETH believer, so I hope so, too, although I would prefer he wasn't at United.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad