GWT: EPL - Matchweek 5

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Side note... best players for LFC today

Elliott and Carvalho... both u20.

That is very concerning for LFC moving forward.

Reactions: Chimaera

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

2/3 of this is right but I don’t think concerning is the right word here.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The Pope injury in extra time is what did it. Had that not gone for a corner, might have ended. Newcastle definitely worked for that point, but I’m not sure I could support that type of play.

Yea if we're saying that every team should get benefit from an opponent time wasting like that I think everyone here agrees. It wasn't as bad as Everton last season but it was pretty bad. They had a player go down for cramp half the time the ball went out of play. Frankly I think their time wasting also helped break our momentum a couple times so it was quite beneficial for them overall. They'd have conceded sooner otherwise.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The Pope injury in extra time is what did it. Had that not gone for a corner, might have ended. Newcastle definitely worked for that point, but I’m not sure I could support that type of play.
Joelinton hit the floor like three times

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

The concerning part is that without Nunez we have almost no chance of breaking down a parked bus unless the other team makes some mistakes. We can't play it in the air unless he's there. Took 12 or 13 corners just to get that second goal. Without Nunez it seems the other team can double mark van Dijk and that's the end of scoring chances from corners.

Otherwise those two players being awesome again is great. They're very talented. Also a good thing Portugal has so many quality midfielders because that way Carvalho will get a break during the WC. Would be surprised if they brought him to Qatar. We are going to need him.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah, and on top of that, it's supposed to be a point of emphasis this season lol. Obviously, didn't catch this match to see the extent of that being/not being applied.
Something to look forward to. :(

It is because it means the team is aging faster than anticipated.
The whole team was bad again from the start.
It means the future is bright. Yes they need to fix the present but them being ready is a major positive.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I guess someone on Newcastle's bench threw bottles at Liverpool's bench after the goal but the director decided not to show us what happened on the benches after that. Too bad tbh.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Not even September and Haaland is on 9 goals. Just ridiculous. He may prove to be the piece that gets them over the hump in Europe.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Went overboard in preseason and paying the price now.

They didn’t have the same legs they used to anyway. They can’t run anymore. Too old. Too much tread on the tires.

But also maybe spend the summer promoting your assistant managers new book, called Intensity, if you are going to be 17th in running. Intensity is no longer their identity.

Last edited:
Reactions: luiginb

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland

Not at all. Diaz was good. If anything it’s a sign they’re gonna have some studs going forward. Add Bellingham and they’re off

The concerning part is that without Nunez we have almost no chance of breaking down a parked bus unless the other team makes some mistakes. We can't play it in the air unless he's there. Took 12 or 13 corners just to get that second goal. Without Nunez it seems the other team can double mark van Dijk and that's the end of scoring chances from corners.

Otherwise those two players being awesome again is great. They're very talented. Also a good thing Portugal has so many quality midfielders because that way Carvalho will get a break during the WC. Would be surprised if they brought him to Qatar. We are going to need him.
I think as Elliott, Diaz and Carvalho get settled they’re going to be ok breaking stuff down as well

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I just watched the highlights. That second Newcastle goal did not look offside. They have good reason to be bitter right now.

His head is ahead of Gomez's foot and you're allowed to score with your head, so it's offside. But what I don't understand is why Rashford wasn't offside the other week even though it was far more clear than that?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
His head is ahead of Gomez's foot and you're allowed to score with your head, so it's offside. But what I don't understand is why Rashford wasn't offside the other week even though it was far more clear than that?
There’s a new rule about margin of error where if your within a specific set of space (it’s inches I don’t remember the exact number but real small) it’s not called as offside because there’s a margin of error within the technology. That’s why Rashford’s was given.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
There’s a new rule about margin of error where if your within a specific set of space (it’s inches I don’t remember the exact number but real small) it’s not called as offside because there’s a margin of error within the technology. That’s why Rashford’s was given.

Yea that's what's getting me because then this goal should have been given too. It's a stupid ass standard anyway imo.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Because camera angles make things look different compared to a direct line across.

In the Rashford case, the line for him and the line for Gomez were within a margin of error so it counts as onside.

In this case, the line for the attacker and Gomez were ever so slightly beyond the margin of error so it's offside.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yea that's what's getting me because then this goal should have been given too. It's a stupid ass standard anyway imo.
I didn’t see the second goal. I don’t agree with the thought that it’s stupid though. Camera angles make things a little funky so having that margin of error makes sense to me.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Son in horrendous form to start the season.

Liverpool really do need a new central midfielder, such a glaring hole, but Fabio Carvalho doing really well to start the season.

Lage is a awful manager, Wolves need to can him asap. All that talent to play so much better, and they were lethargic against Bournemouth.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
It is because it means the team is aging faster than anticipated.

Doesn't help that Klopp chased 4 trophies last season, which meant an aging core played a million games. That's going to catch up with you eventually - this is the price you're paying for winning the League Cup & FA Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad