GWT: EPL - Matchweek 5

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, that’s a conversation it sounds like needs to be had with your fan base, not with me. I just think it’s not a correct framing to have this as a cheap/not willing to spend money issue.
We have had it a few times in that situation.

It is certainly frustrating for some. Even more so, as this is HF Futures, and new, and better is always exciting.

But Klopp, Edwards, Ward, whomever, have more than earned the right to do it how they want to do things. It's tough when sure, they could add another part and likely push on a touch, but we don't know if that fits the room's mentality or what they've promised some players in house.

Liverpool enjoy one of the most successful runs in their history and 5 games into a season after winning two domestic cups and going to the CL finals the pitchforks are out because they’re not spending enough money.
They've been out before long.

I've certainly been one to frustrate on the net spend. But it's worked. They've been one of the best teams I'll ever see.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Liverpool enjoy one of the most successful runs in their history and 5 games into a season after winning two domestic cups and going to the CL finals the pitchforks are out because they’re not spending enough money.
Do you think that midfield is good enough to run it back?

Money only counts when it's net and also don't forget wages and installments and ignore other transfers and also it's only initial fees whereas addons are counted in net received and blah blah blah.
The morally superior Liverpool.
Where is the lie though? Who did your teams have to sell to accommodate new buys? Did you have to sell any BDO finalists recently? I’m not the one making up transfer fees to try and prove a point here.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah I have 0 clue why Liverpool would have any issues with how the club is currently run. I’d kill to consistently be in the top 4 nonetheless be a consistent CL final threat.
You can think the club is run well AND think they pooped the bed during a transfer window. These things aren’t exclusive to each other.

Reactions: JeffreyLFC

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Yeah I have 0 clue why Liverpool would have any issues with how the club is currently run. I’d kill to consistently be in the top 4 nonetheless be a consistent CL final threat.
It's Cardinals fans complaining about not spending with the tip top spending teams. Both teams do spend quite a bit to have elite players, and are just generally very well run clubs, that are consistently in the running for Cups/Titles/Playoffs. Those aren't things to complain about. Would they really rather be in the position that United is currently in? I know as a Chelsea fan, I'd love to have a consistent vision and managerial stability.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
You should be madder about the seemingly tunnel vision strategy than a willingness to spend money. They were willing to spend the money on Tchouameni. They spent the money on Darwin. The issue isn't a willingness to spend money, it's a pigheaded obstinance to do it "their way", which is a very different issue. That seems more a football issue, than an ownership/money issue.
It's a money issue.

I won't go into much details but the Melo loan deal is certainly a good example of that.

They don't like spending money even in term of crisis like right now.

It's Cardinals fans complaining about not spending with the tip top spending teams. Both teams do spend quite a bit to have elite players, and are just generally very well run clubs, that are consistently in the running for Cups/Titles/Playoffs. Those aren't things to complain about. Would they really rather be in the position that United is currently in? I know as a Chelsea fan, I'd love to have a consistent vision and managerial stability.
It depends if you dwell on the past and don't see the iceberg coming your way.

They clearly have irritated their golden goose this summer. Klopp has shown more frustration to the media than he ever did and contrary to popular belief he is a very rational thinker and not the over reactionary type.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Or the Red Sox fans complaining about John Henry…

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
100%. I’d much rather spend less money and have an owner that gives a shit about the club and it’s results. Spending money means f*** all really if there’s plan and vision.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's a money issue.

I won't go into much details but the Melo loan deal is certainly a good example of that.

They don't like spending money even in term of crisis like right now.

It depends if you dwell on the past and don't see the iceberg coming your way.
How is the Arthur deal an example. It's a loan, which is better than overpaying for a bad fit, so it doesn't impact the ability to go after better targets in the next window or 2. Which, according to all reports, you guys want to pursue Bellingham.

Sure, if when this core ages out and needs to be replaced, and then no money is spent, then you'd have a point. I don't think there's been any indication that will be the case though. Liverpool spends enough money when they have to in the spots they need to.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Diaz is in his prime. I wish Liverpool had more players in their prime. They have a lot that are too young and a lot that are exiting/has exited their primes
That has been my main issue with LFC team build.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Or the Red Sox fans complaining about John Henry…
Boo-hoo, they are a consistent top 5 payroll team, so thanks for proving my point. And 4 WS during his ownership, Boston fans should be grateful for that ownership group. Or how it took FSG to be the ones to bring Liverpool their first EPL title.

Maybe you are agreeing with me though? Just assuming you are agreeing with Boston fans complaining about Henry.

Last edited:

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
It's mental. I was there last night, he must have touched the ball about a dozen times and he has a hat trick. He's just there when he needs to be, so f***ing irritating.

It's like if Solskjaer was 6-4 and quicker and stronger than everyone else. He always finds space, he always goes where defenders aren't, rebounds and deflections always seem to find their way to him.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Poor Liverpool fans… things are really tough now. And especially for the future. I mean how will one of the best run clubs in the world manage…. Maybe we should start a go fund me.

Reactions: Chimaera

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Diaz is in his prime. I wish Liverpool had more players in their prime. They have a lot that are too young and a lot that are exiting/has exited their primes
This team is coming to the end of its cycle, your core players are 29-31. It happens, and its been a pretty successful few years for you guys all told. Even Fergies teams had down years as they went through the cycle and had to be rebuilt, and it was never done in one transfer window.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Boo-hoo, they are a consistent top 5 payroll team, so thanks for proving my point. And 4 WS during his ownership, Boston fans should be grateful for that ownership group. Or how it took FSG to be the ones to bring Liverpool their first EPL title.

Maybe you are agreeing with me though? Just assuming you are agreeing with Boston fans complaining about Henry.
Oh I agree with you. Ownership can be good at some things and bad at other things. The grass can always be greener. FSG is still better than most, but they absolutely make mistakes. Red Sox won a World Series and then they traded Mookie Betts because they didn’t want got pay him, and look at their descent since then. LFC fans don’t want similar.

This team is coming to the end of its cycle, your core players are 29-31. It happens, and its been a pretty successful few years for you guys all told. Even Fergies teams had down years as they went through the cycle and had to be rebuilt, and it was never done in one transfer window.
It’s like flying a plane while you are building its wings. This has not been a strength for Liverpool either and you can see the gaps in the squad. Next summer they are going to have to replace three midfielders probably. It’s insane to have to do that in one window.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Oh I agree with you. Ownership can be good at some things and bad at other things. The grass can always be greener. FSG is still better than most, but they absolutely make mistakes. Red Sox won a World Series and then they traded Mookie Betts because they didn’t want got pay him, and look at their descent since then. LFC fans don’t want similar.
That's fair, and agree. There will likely be a transition period when your current core ages out, so then it comes down to scouting and recruitment. I'd have more faith than not that they'll have a successful plan.

And maybe some of the sentiment is being scared of a post-Klopp life because you all remember what it was like before Klopp. I can get that too.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
That's fair, and agree. There will likely be a transition period when your current core ages out, so then it comes down to scouting and recruitment. I'd have more faith than not that they'll have a successful plan.
Sure. I mean you have to trust the infrastructure right? That being said they have a lot of work to do and the majority of it is being pushed for next summer. They have A LOT to do. Especially in midfield.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think one top midfielder in next summer and it’s a different discussion. Two and it’s a completely different one as well
I mean maybe this year is a slight transition year for Liverpool? But I mean they’re already doing a good job of laying the groundwork for the next core group. Konaté and TAA are both 23. Jones and Elliott are 19 and 21. Jota, Diaz, and Nunez are 23 and 25.

I mean for a club run as well as you guys are that’s an easy core to build around. Obviously replacing Salah probably will be a downgrade, but adding a big CM next year and I’d guess a CB in the near future should set you guys up for another go at PL and CL contention. I really don’t get the doom and gloom.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'm honestly not that concerned about our results this season yet. I am concerned that we have only two midfielders without a long injury history. It seems like somebody should know better.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think one top midfielder in next summer and it’s a different discussion. Two and it’s a completely different one as well
Keita, Chamberlain and (probably) Milner are going to be out. That’s three bodies. And that’s not taking any additional numbers to the squad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad