GWT: EPL - Matchweek 33

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Stupid stuff from Chelsea, argueing about PK kick taker on the pitch. Sort it out before the match. Unnecessarily adds pressure to Palmer, but it doesn't matter, he converts anyway.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Stupid stuff from Chelsea, argueing about PK kick taker on the pitch. Sort it out before the match. Unnecessarily adds pressure to Palmer, but it doesn't matter, he converts anyway.
Palmer is their taker so I don't know what the issue is.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Penalty was soft, the league is trying to get an English golden boot winner, I'm sick
I know the second part was a joke but palmer was 100% fouled lo

Anyone else see that mudryk switch

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Could have used some of the academy in a 5-0 game but yeah leave these guys out for full 90s, including the guy who cried about not getting a pen !

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Just finished match now! Wow!

What more need be said about Palmer other than that the first goal was Messi-esque and the third went higher than any keeper chip I've ever seen.

S/o to Gallagher for intervening on the penalty. Also to Gusto for pulling back Noni and Nico after the fact. Poch needs to be bad cop sometimes. After the Sterling debacle he said "the players on the pitch decide!" You have to make it clear Mauricio.

Caicedo masterclass, easy MOTM if not for Palmer. Dare I say that he looks more comfortable next to the more energetic Gallagher than he does next to Enzo?

I genuinely teared up when Gilchrist scored. It meant so much to him!!!

Besides PK stupidity, Jackson was spectacular today. He's so deft running at defenders and his interplay can be truly exquisite.

Misha and Noni both looked dangerous when we played through the wings.

Palmer, man. Palmer. Haven't felt this way watching a Chelsea player since Hazard left. 6 goals and 1 assist in April so far.

This team is exhausting, but God they can be fun.

Reactions: gary69 and Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
ICE COLD COLE PALMER

What a legend.

Good on Gallagher for intervening on that penalty nonsense.

Loved that Gilchrist got on and scored.

Jackson played really well I thought.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Am I the only one that thinks Palmer could have just let Madueke take the penalty? I don't think Madueke has a right to be mad over it, but Palmer already scored a hat trick and it was 4-0, so why not let your teammate get on the score sheet and get some confidence?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Am I the only one that thinks Palmer could have just let Madueke take the penalty? I don't think Madueke has a right to be mad over it, but Palmer already scored a hat trick and it was 4-0, so why not let your teammate get on the score sheet and get some confidence?
Palmer is their designated penalty taker.

Madueke probably felt emboldened by Sterling stealing the PK from Palmer a few weeks ago with his "veteran leadership" and figured he'd do the same since he won the penalty.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
when you've scored 3 you want 4

and, like, you're the penalty taker

i don't begrudge noni wanting to take it, and it wouldn't have shocked me at all if palmer had let him! but the second palmer says "no i'm taking it" he needs to back down. great appreciation for gallagher and gusto cutting it out.

i'm just annoyed that this will distract from 1. the spectacular performance palmer had 2. chelsea's best game of the season and 3. the actually very good games both madueke and jackson had!

Reactions: gary69 and Blender

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't have him top 10 yet. I don't have him ahead of Doncic, Jokic, SGA, Embiid, Giannis, KD, Brunson, Kawhi, Tatum, Booker, Steph, Ant, LBJ, Haliburton, AD, or Steph based on performance this year.

On pure potential, he's obviously up there

I'd quibble about some of these and the way he's played this second half of the season has been insane from a rookie, but yeah, I don't have him top 10 yet either...but with another offseason under his belt? :dunno: Kid's already a massive difference-maker.

E:
Oh yeah, kudos to Chelsea.

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Palmer is their designated penalty taker.

Madueke probably felt emboldened by Sterling stealing the PK from Palmer a few weeks ago with his "veteran leadership" and figured he'd do the same since he won the penalty.
when you've scored 3 you want 4

and, like, you're the penalty taker

i don't begrudge noni wanting to take it, and it wouldn't have shocked me at all if palmer had let him! but the second palmer says "no i'm taking it" he needs to back down. great appreciation for gallagher and gusto cutting it out.

i'm just annoyed that this will distract from 1. the spectacular performance palmer had 2. chelsea's best game of the season and 3. the actually very good games both madueke and jackson had!
I'll rephrase my earlier post slightly. I don't think Madueke has a right to fight over taking the penalty when he's not the designated penalty taker, and he should have just let it go once he was told he wouldn't be taking it. But I think it's fair for him to be mad/upset that his teammate wouldn't let him take one in a 4-0 game where he already has scored a hat trick. Quality goal scorers generally have to be ruthless/selfish, but if there was ever a time to give one up and give your teammate some confidence, that was the spot.

Definitely an unneeded distraction for the team.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Madueke needs to know his place.

And Gallagher is the heart and soul of Chelsea, and their best midfielder, if they sell him this summer fans should riot.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I would've pushed the Palmer is a selfish asshole narrative on the penalty but he's in the golden boot race so it's understandable why he wanted the penalty even though he was already on a hat trick.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'd quibble about some of these and the way he's played this second half of the season has been insane from a rookie, but yeah, I don't have him top 10 yet either...but with another offseason under his belt? :dunno: Kid's already a massive difference-maker.

E:
Oh yeah, kudos to Chelsea.
In terms of pure performance VS minutes I'd argue he's there easily over some of those.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I can definitely see why Madueke wanted to take it and why it would've been gracious of Palmer to let him. The team was very supportive of Palmer when he was getting his first off the spot. Good on the former though for then making Jackson go over and celebrate with the team, Nico was seriously out of line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad