GWT: EPL - Matchweek 20

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
If you’re out front halfway, and you drop off the pace, you could argue a team bottled it.

There could be mitigating circumstances, whether injuries, or whatever, but there’s some element of a collapse.

City is going to be perfect basically the run in here out, so whomever wins is going to have to beat that

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
By this logic then Arsenal couldn’t have bottled it last season.
I don’t agree with that logic. Arsenal bottled in like Matchweek 32/33. Today is Jan 1st.

If LFC poop the bed in April, I will gladly say it’s a bottle job. But we aren’t there yet. It’s January 1st and City still control their destiny.

The only time LFC bottled was 13/14.

I will put myself on record saying we'll win the title and it will be fun to watch everyone cry about it.

It's only a bottle job once you lead by 6 or 7 points though. As soon as you do, it doesn't matter what was expected from the team.
Let’s see where we are in the spring. Lets see if we do anything this window

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Do not think you can bottle a title when the entire fan base would be happy finishing third or fourth. Especially before the season started.

Just so funny people can’t see the differences between these things

BuT jOtA dOvE

Arsenal's goal before last season was literally to make it back into the champions league, but okay, I forgot I wasn't going to get into this argument again.

I don't blame Jota for diving, but I do think VAR should overturn that and that that's what it was instated for.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Arsenal's goal before last season was literally to make it back into the champions league, but okay, I forgot I wasn't going to get into this argument again.

I don't blame Jota for diving, but I do think VAR should overturn that and that that's what it was instated for.
Yes - their goal was to make CL. Also they reinforced in January and spent the most weeks of the season in first. The expectation obviously changed in January and they went for it, and then they blew it in the spring. Again, LFC could get to that point, but they simply are not there yet.

Soccer players dive, shit happens. I do not know anyone that would have argued if that was overturned. But again, if you are almost 7 goals better than the other team on xG, and it wasn’t a game deciding goal; it’s like crying over spilled milk here

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If Liverpool win, it’s because they have better depth than anyone else in the league. The idea that they can bring on 3-4 starter level players at 60 is the most depth they’ve ever had. Bringing Gakpo, Gravenberch and Jota on today is just unfair.
For the first time in a while, the season feels like they can make subs which make them better; as opposed to just like for like.

Made a huge difference today. Curtis Jones was MOTM though

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I don’t agree with that logic. Arsenal bottled in like Matchweek 32/33. Today is Jan 1st.
You just said “Do not think you can bottle a title when the entire fan base would be happy finishing third or fourth. Especially before the season started.”

Being happy finishing top 4 is 100% where the Arsenal fan base was prior to last year.

Reactions: KJS14 and maclean

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Also they reinforced in January

Trossard was a reinforcement, I would say comparable to Liverpool aquiring Diaz in the winter window. Kiwior barely played though, and Jorginho actually cost us a game or two...

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You just said “Do not think you can bottle a title when the entire fan base would be happy finishing third or fourth. Especially before the season started.”

Being happy finishing top 4 is 100% where the Arsenal fan base was prior to last year.
When talking about Liverpool this year. At this time. Talking about present tense.

I do not think you can compare that to Arsenal pooping the bed in April. When se just saw this happen. And again, the expectation changed by additional in January and consistency in the top spot.

These are different things. As of right now, on January 1; I do not think this is equivalent

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Trossard was a reinforcement, I would say comparable to Liverpool aquiring Diaz in the winter window. Kiwior barely played though, and Jorginho actually cost us a game or two...
Right, (on Trossard) and that’s when LFC was going for the league too. Either way you added bodies, two of which played quite a bit. There is no guarantee LFC is adding bodies to reinforce. Let’s see on Feb 1 where we are at.

Klopp and Virgil keep saying “let’s see where we are at the end of February” and I agree with that as a coherent and rational take. I would LOVE if LFC added a Trossard equivalent this month. Let’s see if it happens

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I don't understand how LFC would be bottling anything. They'd have been picked to finish what, 3rd at best this year by the entire world? And come New Years day they're in 1st place. This is an over achievement if anything

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don't understand how LFC would be bottling anything. They'd have been picked to finish what, 3rd at best this year by the entire world? And come New Years day they're in 1st place. This is an over achievement if anything
If we have a lead built in mid to late April, yeah sure bring it on. Especially if they reinforce this month. Until then, it’s simply not comparable

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
By this logic then Arsenal couldn’t have bottled it last season.
Shhhh, that logic doesn’t apply because reasons.

Which is fine, but all I’ve heard is about Arsenal bottling it last year when they were barely picked to make CL.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Which is fine, but all I’ve heard is about Arsenal bottling it last year when they were barely picked to make CL.
How many MWs did Arsenal finish in 1st place?

Did they reinforce in January?

What MW did Arsenal fall out of 1st place?

Expectations rightfully changed when they added 3 players in January to keep running for the title. They went for it

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I don't get people's obsession with calling teams bottlers and chokers. It's almost as if some would rather have their team be flat out shit than actually have a chance of fighting for the title and then lose out.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don't get people's obsession with calling teams bottlers and chokers. It's almost as if some would rather have their team be flat out shit than actually have a chance of fighting for the title and then lose out.
Screw that. People went out of their way to call LFC bottlers when they were dropping 90+ point seasons. Not just here but online, on media, that was the narrative.

You lose an eight point lead in April when you’ve been in first most of the season, that’s a bottle job. Own it. People want to throw around bottle word for every team but their own; and grasp at straws to do so. I’ll retire the phrase when everyone else does

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
How many MWs did Arsenal finish in 1st place?

Did they reinforce in January?

What MW did Arsenal fall out of 1st place?

Expectations rightfully changed when they added 3 players in January to keep running for the title. They went for it
I’m unsure what any of those questions have to do with pre-season expectations which were the explicit reason you stated in your post for why Liverpool can’t be bottlers this season.

Reactions: bluesfan94

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

All I can say is the Reds are probably gonna be up 2 points at best whenever Citeh plays its makeup game. It's too early to say anything. If the Reds are somehow miraculously up 8 points on March 30th and finish the year going 3-3-3 in their last 9 games I promise you no one will argue they didn't bottle it.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Screw that. People went out of their way to call LFC bottlers when they were dropping 90+ point seasons. Not just here but online, on media, that was the narrative.

You lose an eight point lead in April when you’ve been in first most of the season, that’s a bottle job. Own it. People want to throw around bottle word for every team but their own; and grasp at straws to do so. I’ll retire the phrase when everyone else does
I'm not denying it doesn't happen of course. I just find it weird how fans can take all the shit being thrown at their team, but the second someone calls them bottlers, all hell breaks loose.

For what it's worth, I think I might have been here last season calling Arsenal bottlers with the rest of you haha

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I’m unsure what any of those questions have to do with pre-season expectations which were the explicit reason you stated in your post for why Liverpool can’t be bottlers this season.
Preseason expectations is a part of the equation. How is it not?

I’ve said my criteria before. It’s still exists. You are comparing different timelines.

Liverpool can be bottlers this season, just not in January.

I don’t think any of this is outrageous or controversial

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

1107520.gif

Someone needs to explain to me why gifs work in the preview and then don't show when you post. This board sucks. I give up.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'm not denying it doesn't happen of course. I just find it weird how fans can take all the shit being thrown at their team, but the second someone calls them bottlers, all hell breaks loose.

For what it's worth, I think I might have been here last season calling Arsenal bottlers with the rest of you haha
Arsenal were bottlers last season. Arsenal fans just can’t look in the mirror. Arsenal should be in 1st this season too.

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad