GWT: EPL - Matchweek 10

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Pull what off? The words are there for everyone to see. If I interpreted wrong so be it, but not really sure how else that would have been interpreted.

Yes American (unfortunately)

Starting rooting for LFC in 2002 without ever seeing a game for them just because my room mate at summer camp where we were counselors was a LFC fan from Ireland that was happy they signed Harry Kewell. Also there was another counselor who was a Utd fan that was an asshole so hated to stick it to him. Didn’t know anything else about them but knew they had a bunch of fan clubs in the area, and because they were a bigger team they were easier to watch. And The Beatles. I’ve definitely posted this before.

I’ve also posted, and stand by, that if I started following PL when all the teams were accessible to watch I certainly could have, and maybe would have gone in a different direction. I probably would have picked a team in a better vacation destination at least, but again I’ve been following the team for over 20 years now so can’t exactly hit the reset button. And I’ve gotten some lousy years too; I certainly didn’t get to see when they were dominant.

I don't care and didn't read this.

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
looks like they did the wrong angle to begin with and the head was clearly ahead of the line. Does not count. Crazy but it looked like the right thing but it took way too long to get the right angle / most forward part of the body

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I hope you would have better things to do!

But yeah LFC won the title by 18 points that season, so to me, if you are going to say calls swung the pendulum in their favor I don’t think it’s unfair to say “what 18 points did they gain because of it”
It's not how it works though. If it's 5 points the competition might be more focused.

I don’t think it’s a travesty at all, just noting that I still wouldn’t have them higher than 3rd favorites for the title at best.

They should be able to hold onto top 4 without too much hassle since I don’t think Newcastle is as solid, Chelsea and United are tire fires, and the other teams just don’t have the quality to stick around for a full season, but I don’t see a real title challenge as being something they can realistically keep up.
But that's weird because literally nobody on this board, including the Spurs fans, have said Spurs would win the title.
They're just enjoying winning, even when they're average and the Debbie Downers come every thread saying they're lucky and they shouldn't last long there.

Reactions: HeHateMeFrisbee

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The underlaying metrics really like Newcastle. Better than Tottenham actually.
Sure, but they’re also 10 points back right now. 7 if they win today.

I don’t think there’s that big a gap to let them catch up, especially since they’ll have cup and continental games to play through the year.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Wolves looking better than Newcastle so far, the Geordies are not used to playing 3 games/week and it's starting to show.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don't care and didn't read this.
Good. That says more about you than it does about me though

Sure, but they’re also 10 points back right now. 7 if they win today.

I don’t think there’s that big a gap to let them catch up, especially since they’ll have cup and continental games to play through the year.
Right, it was a big advantage last year and it’s a huge advantage this year too. Also speaking of Newcastle, how do they keep getting the prime time late game?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Good. That says more about you than it does about me though

Yeah, because a North American supporting Liverpool (or Chelsea or ManU or City or Arsenal or or or) trying to call anyone else a bandwangoner of winning teams is stupid as hell and without merit.

I don't need to read your stupid origin story to get to that point. That's why I stopped at 'Started rooting for Liverpool in 2002'

I like the play and narrative of Son this year. Therefore I'm happy to cheer for Spurs. Whether that turns into actual fandom who knows but that's for me to enjoy.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
No clue how you fix Chelsea at this point.

In a way, I'm glad because they're an immoral club but they're not even competitive and a lot of young talent has signed with them. This sucks.
I mean, the only way they do it is shut off the buy buy buy. Give a manager with a plan time to figure out what 11-15 players he wants and get rid of the rest. Likely have to get a few who fit what they’re gonna do, but at the core, you can’t have a squad that size with half of them projects. They need a consistent director of football and might need to be bad for a bit while they build. But that can’t really happen when they’ve gambled the financial future to making CL tomorrow.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah, because a North American supporting Liverpool (or Chelsea or ManU or City or Arsenal or or or) trying to call anyone else a bandwangoner of winning teams is stupid as hell and without merit.

I don't need to read your stupid origin story to get to that point. That's why I stopped at 'Started rooting for Liverpool in 2002'

I like the play and narrative of Son this year. Therefore I'm happy to cheer for Spurs. Whether that turns into actual fandom who knows but that's for me to enjoy.
So jumping on a bandwagon 20 years ago, not knowing anything about results/team history is the same as a less than seven week bandwagon. Got it. You root for Luton by your own logic here; at least you know what the results look like

• Haha
Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
So jumping on a bandwagon 20 years ago, not knowing anything about results/team history is the same as a less than seven week bandwagon. Got it. You root for Luton by your own logic here; at least you know what the results look like

I'm sure you would have kept that fandom when you'd discovered they were a bottom feeder alternating between the Premier League and the Championship.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'm sure you would have kept that fandom when you'd discovered they were a bottom feeder alternating between the Premier League and the Championship.
I’m sure you had that choice, and decided you didn’t want any part of it. I didn’t even know what relegation was when I started watching. There’s a difference

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I am in chicago. Was out late so never in the cards to watch.

Saw that my boy palmer cooked again tho
Has Southgate given him a sniff yet? Probably a very stupid question, I know.

I’m sure you had that choice, and decided you didn’t want any part of it. I didn’t even know what relegation was when I started watching. There’s a difference
You just loved the accent?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad