GWT: EPL - Matchweek 10

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Think that's a bit harsh on Odegaard. He's been asked to essentially carry the full burden of creating chances from midfield with Xhaka gone and Partey often injured. Hopefully he just needs a rest and we'll see Rice - Partey - Odegaard or ESR/Vieira - Rice - Odegaard some more.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Think that's a bit harsh on Odegaard. He's been asked to essentially carry the full burden of creating chances from midfield with Xhaka gone and Partey often injured. Hopefully he just needs a rest and we'll see Rice - Partey - Odegaard or ESR/Vieira - Rice - Odegaard some more.

Partey's out injured for a bit as far as im aware

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Partey's out injured for a bit as far as im aware
Not good for us then. But looks like Vieira is back on the bench today - he deserves the start more than Havertz and ESR (though I'm happy to see ESR out there), but probably doesn't have 70-90mins in him yet.

Edit: I'm also not opposed to Zinchenko in midfield and Tomiyasu/Kiwior LB. Zinchenko - Rice - Odegaard looks good on paper to me.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Not good for us then. But looks like Vieira is back on the bench today - he deserves the start more than Havertz and ESR (though I'm happy to see ESR out there), but probably doesn't have 70-90mins in him yet.

Edit: I'm also not opposed to Zinchenko in midfield and Tomiyasu/Kiwior LB. Zinchenko - Rice - Odegaard looks good on paper to me.

Vieira got a lot of time when he had a couple impressive performances. I'm happy with ESR getting the start. Havertz is... Havertz.. I guess OK give him another prime chance to see if he can contribute in any way at all. I won't be holding my breath. Honestly his best role to me seems to be how he was used against Sevilla - i.e. being brought on as a sub to have a defensively minded attacker

Reactions: KJS14

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Really?
I don't remember Liverpool fans claiming they were lucky during their run.... And yet they were.

I, for one, have been impressed.
They got luck, but also had most of the underlaying metrics backing them up.

What they didn’t have was the officials hand them any games, and then having to apologize about it later, for example

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Arsenal really turned it on for the last 10mins or so. Should have scored another, but just good to see them clicking a bit.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

What they didn’t have was the officials hand them any games, and then having to apologize about it later, for example
You guys pulled so many results out of your asses. Alisson against West Brom, Pickford keeping the ball in bounds for Origi, etc. Metrics be damned, that was some of the luckiest shit I’ve ever seen.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You guys pulled so many results out of your asses. Alisson against West Brom, Pickford keeping the ball in bounds for Origi, etc. Metrics be damned, that was some of the luckiest shit I’ve ever seen.
Of course. No one is saying it wasn’t.

And as your example shows, it’s across
multiple seasons; a longer sample size.

Alissons’s goal literally made me fall out of my seat at the bar. Origi’s goal was a doozy too. My club makes miracles. It’s pretty cool. And yeah sometimes it’s lucky.

All I can say is there is a glut at the top of the league right now, but the season isn’t even half over yet. This is the same thing that I said about Arsenal last season but the league is stronger this year (so far) and more teams are in it. It’s all fun and games until Kevin is healthy again and City (who Tottenham still need to play twice) uncork like 45-60 points in a row after the calendar turns over. We will see who can keep that pace. I don’t think this years Tottenham team is as good as last years Arsenal team

Last edited:

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Of course. No one is saying it wasn’t.

And as your example shows, it’s across
multiple seasons; a longer sample size.

Alissons’s goal literally made me fall out of my seat at the bar. Origi’s goal was a doozy too. My club makes miracles. It’s pretty cool. And yeah sometimes it’s lucky.

All I can say is there is a glut at the top of the league right now, but the season isn’t even half over yet. This is the same thing that I said about Arsenal last season but the league is stronger this year (so far) and more teams are in it. It’s all fun and games until Kevin is healthy again and City (who Tottenham still need to play twice) uncork like 45-60 points in a row after the calendar turns over. We will see who can keep that pace. I don’t think this years Tottenham team is as good as last years Arsenal team
Those were top of mind and honestly thought they were the same season - I was specifically attempting to highlight the title season. But Liverpool have had, in my estimation, bigger doozies than most.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

Wrong Liverpool had tons of dubious decisions going their way that year. Tons.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Wrong Liverpool had tons of dubious decisions going their way that year. Tons.
Shows me the ones that PGMOL had to apologize over

Don't understand why people are indulging one of the conspiracy twin.

Okay. You say Spurs are lucky. And so? What's the follow-up to that?
Nothing. Just acknowledge and admit it. It’s fine. Which is what I have been saying. What’s the conspiracy?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And how cares if they didn't apologize. Everyone could see the blatant calls in favor of Liverpool. It went way beyond an offside goal in a game you were clearly beaten anyway.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Basically every club that wins has luck go for them at points. Kompany could take that shot 50 times and might not even hit the target half the time never mind top bin it.
Only one club gets away with that Rodri handball though :)

But yeah LFC’s basic list two titles on Rodri hand ball and Kompany Hail Mary.

Luck giveth and Luck taketh

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Don't understand why people are indulging one of the conspiracy twin.

Okay. You say Spurs are lucky. And so? What's the follow-up to that?
Generally speaking luck doesn’t hold up long term and thus they should be expected to have less chance to hold onto a PL lead than most teams in their spot this far into the season.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
And how cares if they didn't apologize. Everyone could see the blatant calls in favor of Liverpool. It went way beyond an offside goal in a game you were clearly beaten anyway.
I mean “in favor calls” are subjective. A call that needed to be apologized for is objective. I think that’s kind of the fair way you had to look at it.

And if you want to find 18 points worth of “in favor calls” that swung the title to LFC that season, go right ahead

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Generally speaking luck doesn’t hold up long term and thus they should be expected to have less chance to hold onto a PL lead than most teams in their spot this far into the season.

I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there but I'm not sure what conspiracy twin already crying about it does. We're ten weeks in and I don't think any club has looked so good that Tottenham being 1st is a travesty.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Right, this too; which is why I talked about underlaying metrics. Sure, teams can overcome that, but my point is the indicators aren’t suggesting it’s sustainable long term

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad