Post-Game Talk: Episode 6 (Pens 3, Leafs 0) - Return of the Murri

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
Maybe it’s just people being overly critical.

Last year’s narrative was Schultz was better at the PP because he shot more and hit the net. When Jesse analyzed the data both of those numbers went to Letang.

Perspective is effected by bias..
He just appears to be making quicker decisions with the puck this season. There were times he would hold on, or do that stupid pump fake then try to make the cute play. It is clear he made an effort over the summer to get the puck on net more quickly.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I want to debunk the old argument of preserve energy vs. sustainable play.

The way they played last night is 100% sustainable. It won't always work, as life with hockey, but what you saw last night was a game loaded with good habits. I'm okay if Geno or Kessel cheat from time to time because all great forwards do it. But if the habits are more-so like last night as opposed to the first 5 games, the team will be fine. That is sustainable and will not blow their energy.

Where you preserve energy is maintenance days at practice, not overplaying in games, and putting players in scenarios where they aren't exhausted. Let's break this down further starting with maintenance days. We already know what that is. Give them days off. Force Sid out of the rink. Give Geno time with his family.

For situational (scenario) hockey, it's putting Geno/Kessel/Sid out on offensive zone faceoffs and PP minutes. That will help preserve their energy. Don't give them PK duties or final minute preserve lead duties. Let Cully/Sheahan/Hags do that. Same goes for overplaying. Give Brass 15-16 minutes. Give the kids 11-13 minutes. Keep Geno/Sid/Kessel at 16-18 and NOT 21. Keep Horny on the 4th line until he's needed later. Who gives a **** about his production now. His production will come when he turns into Wolverine in the postseason.

THAT is how you preserve energy and create good habits at the same time. Sure... they'll have a stinker here and there. All teams do. But if the good habits are there, this team will be more than fine. And if they can find last night's level on a consistent basis, they will be one of the toughest teams to knock out of the playoffs. There is no flipping a switch right at March. The habits are built through the season.
I'd also add multi-goal games. Whether they are up by a couple or down by a couple, Sully can adjust ice times accordingly. I think it's also OK to ease off the pedal a little in those type of games as well. Not necessarily with skating, but hitting, blocking shots, etc. In 1-goal games though, there's no room for error, so you gotta do what you gotta do.

Reactions: Riptide and Andy99

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
Yeah. This is actually one of the most exciting new developments on the young season, to me. I've definitely noticed.

Letang has been DAMNED impressive so far this year.

Also... side note: how the hell is Malkin sitting at nearly 60% on the year in the circle?!?
I hope he's able to sustain the great start, especially with Schultz out for four months. He has his swagger back for sure.

I genuinely have no clue how Geno is doing so well. If he keeps up with these faceoffs and can cut out the dumb penalties he'll have a whale of a season.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Just on ice time - that was pretty well handled last night. Sid only forward above 18 minutes, Letang kept to 'only' 25:01. Feel like that's sustainable, although it would be nice to get them the odd lower night every now and again.
I don't want to see Cullen getting 15+min a night all season, though.

Reactions: Andy99

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I hope he's able to sustain the great start, especially with Schultz out for four months. He has his swagger back for sure.

I genuinely have no clue how Geno is doing so well. If he keeps up with these faceoffs and can cut out the dumb penalties he'll have a whale of a season.

If Letang can continue to play like this... it almost won't matter that Schultz was injured. And I hate to make Sarge sound like some sort of defenseman whisperer but Letang's shorter windup and emphasis on simply getting the puck to the net has his fingerprints all over it, to my eyes. He was always a master at simply getting the puck though even if it was a half powered wrister... still extremely dangerous with traffic in front.

I don't want to make many predictions about Geno. I always worry about the obvious when it comes to him and saying anything optimistic out loud almost feels like a jinx.

Reactions: Riptide and vodeni

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Just on ice time - that was pretty well handled last night. Sid only forward above 18 minutes, Letang kept to 'only' 25:01. Feel like that's sustainable, although it would be nice to get them the odd lower night every now and again.
And speaking to that point I thought that was one of the most judicious ways that Sully and the coaching staff managed the game, both in ice time and situational personnel utilization in quite a while.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
So Schultz was worse?

Also, I’m totally gonna rally and beat your ass in fantasy tonight.

The power of the Tanger shall see me to victory.

And yes.

Although the stats change a little when with Hornqvist (i.e. PP1), as Letang is ahead in some defensive metrics but Schultz ahead in more.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Speaking of Hornqvist.... looking over the roster he's sitting at one assist and -1 on the year. Which wouldn't matter much to me were he actually playing well. But he isn't.

Young season but I'd like to see more out of him. Paying someone that kind of money to skate on the 4th line even part of the time frankly doesn't sit well with me.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Speaking of Hornqvist.... looking over the roster he's sitting at one assist and -1 on the year. Which wouldn't matter much to me were he actually playing well. But he isn't.

Young season but I'd like to see more out of him. Paying someone that kind of money to skate on the 4th line even part of the time frankly doesn't sit well with me.

Yeah he hasn't gotten it going yet. Usually he scores on the PP at least. But we also haven't had a lot of PPs yet.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't want to see Cullen getting 15+min a night all season, though.

Sid came down a little at the expense of Cullen's line, and the fact that L3 barely played and Brass was rotated at wing...we should be running 4 lines...I get that Sully doesn't trust Sprong and Simon but we need them or the equivalent playing to keep everyone else's playing time down...

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
If Letang can continue to play like this... it almost won't matter that Schultz was injured. And I hate to make Sarge sound like some sort of defenseman whisperer but Letang's shorter windup and emphasis on simply getting the puck to the net has his fingerprints all over it, to my eyes. He was always a master at simply getting the puck though even if it was a half powered wrister... still extremely dangerous with traffic in front.

I don't want to make many predictions about Geno. I always worry about the obvious when it comes to him and saying anything optimistic out loud almost feels like a jinx.
What I really look forward is seeing what Gonchar can do to help Riikola adapt to the smaller ice. His passing ability has to be the best on the team in terms of getting a flat hard pass right to a guys stick. I'd love to see him feeding Geno one timers like Gonchar used to do.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Tbf he got more ice time on the 4th than he has some nights on the 3rd :laugh:

But pedantry aside, yeah, he's got to be better. I'm happy to park any mofo on the 4th if that's what helps the team but his form needs to demand more ice time than that.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
What I really look forward is seeing what Gonchar can do to help Riikola adapt to the smaller ice. His passing ability has to be the best on the team in terms of getting a flat hard pass right to a guys stick. I'd love to see him feeding Geno one timers like Gonchar used to do.

Not to crack on Tanger too badly but I think that's at least a contributing reason to why we haven't seen the volume of one-timers from Malkin the last bunch of years -- he just can't quite get that pass where he wants it consistently enough.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Tbf he got more ice time on the 4th than he has some nights on the 3rd :laugh:

But pedantry aside, yeah, he's got to be better. I'm happy to park any mofo on the 4th if that's what helps the team but his form needs to demand more ice time than that.

Yeah they have to figure out a happy balance, there. I hate to make it about cost/benefit but you seriously can't pay a guy that kind of contract and then not really know what to do with him.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I want to debunk the old argument of preserve energy vs. sustainable play.

The way they played last night is 100% sustainable. It won't always work, as life with hockey, but what you saw last night was a game loaded with good habits. I'm okay if Geno or Kessel cheat from time to time because all great forwards do it. But if the habits are more-so like last night as opposed to the first 5 games, the team will be fine. That is sustainable and will not blow their energy.

Where you preserve energy is maintenance days at practice, not overplaying in games, and putting players in scenarios where they aren't exhausted. Let's break this down further starting with maintenance days. We already know what that is. Give them days off. Force Sid out of the rink. Give Geno time with his family.

For situational (scenario) hockey, it's putting Geno/Kessel/Sid out on offensive zone faceoffs and PP minutes. That will help preserve their energy. Don't give them PK duties or final minute preserve lead duties. Let Cully/Sheahan/Hags do that. Same goes for overplaying. Give Brass 15-16 minutes. Give the kids 11-13 minutes. Keep Geno/Sid/Kessel at 16-18 and NOT 21. Keep Horny on the 4th line until he's needed later. Who gives a **** about his production now. His production will come when he turns into Wolverine in the postseason.

THAT is how you preserve energy and create good habits at the same time. Sure... they'll have a stinker here and there. All teams do. But if the good habits are there, this team will be more than fine. And if they can find last night's level on a consistent basis, they will be one of the toughest teams to knock out of the playoffs. There is no flipping a switch right at March. The habits are built through the season.

I get what you're saying--if Sully played four lines and kept shifts short and stopped shortening the bench, I'd agree with you...It's not the habits of playing solid D that's the problem...it's that (1) they're not going to be able to beat other teams' players to the puck every game (should they try, knowing they will fail against McDavid for example? I don't think so, think the strategy needs to be different sometimes) and (2) they did a lot of shot blocking last night and a couple times people were worried about players...I'm not a big fan of shot blocking a lot in the RS and that's just an injury waiting to happen; and (3) I don't trust Sully based on past history to keep playing times equitable and manageable.....last night he played three lines for most of the 2nd and 3rd periods...can't be doing that regularly, yet he does, including playing Sid 21+ min a night like he was McDavid...

BmxHockey

Jan 4, 2012
San Diego
Murray saved the day. Its been ages since he did that. But lets not lie ourself, we played a mediocre hockey.
My internal representation of mediocre hockey was mistake free hockey as per coaches orders. Those coaches respected the neutral zone tonight. It was not a wide open track meet despite the amount of shots taken.

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
Not to crack on Tanger too badly but I think that's at least a contributing reason to why we haven't seen the volume of one-timers from Malkin the last bunch of years -- he just can't quite get that pass where he wants it consistently enough.
I could see that coming around now that he's getting the shot under control. Teams will have to respect that and passing should open up.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Kucherov and Theodore for Letang and a winger equivalent of Theodore on your squad after this matchup.

Can't give up my star player.

Yeah they have to figure out a happy balance, there. I hate to make it about cost/benefit but you seriously can't pay a guy that kind of contract and then not really know what to do with him.

I think they knew what to do with before Kessel-Geno stuck :sarcasm:

More seriously... I dunno. I think you were one of the guys I was talking with about roster balance and awkward fits in the Summer and this is kinda an epitome of it. Six games in so a lot of things are going to get sorted and maybe this is one of them, but Horny really needs a lot of speed and skill on his line. Line 1 would be ideal, but no go, Kessel's hogging Line 2, Line 3... where's the LW who brings it? Is he better with Brassard than Rust is (probably not)?

At the same time... leaving aside Hornqvist's general good stats with anyone and reliability, he's a guy who is playoff gold. If Horny is an awkward fit in regular season but then magic in the PO when Sid is told to shut it, is that worth the cost?

Eh. I dunno what I'm arguing at this point. Right now, I'll take 11-13 ES minutes a night on a heavyweight 4th line while getting lots of PP time (when we get some damn PPs...). Not ideal but it's worth the price to me with one eye on the play offs. But, to really jump the gun, would you trade Horny for a RW who we think would be perfect for Sid? I expect to be lynched for even mouthing the suggestion and I don't think I'd do it, but I could see it paying off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad