Post-Game Talk: Episode 6 (Pens 3, Leafs 0) - Return of the Murri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Shame we only have one of those at present.

If HMK is a long term thing (also playoffs) maybe they will trade for a LW for that role on the 3rd line. Simon isn’t the right fit in that role.

JR already tried to get one in the preseason.

Reactions: KIRK and Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If HMK is a long term thing (also playoffs) maybe they will trade for a LW for that role on the 3rd line. Simon isn’t the right fit in that role.

JR already tried to get one in the preseason.

It could work if Simon starts to introduce goal scoring instincts to his game. He's a great clearer up of rubbish in terms of possession, which is useful with a guy who generates so much of it. But the clock's gonna start ticking for him at game 20, if it isn't now.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
It could work if Simon starts to introduce goal scoring instincts to his game. He's a great clearer up of rubbish in terms of possession, which is useful with a guy who generates so much of it. But the clock's gonna start ticking for him at game 20, if it isn't now.

Yeah for sure we’ve got time for right now.

We are also pretty flexible especially seeing Cullen-Sheahan-Hornqvist last night as a very capable 3rd line. Brassard would go to the wing in that case for parts of the game.

I thought Sully would have consistent lines early on to get those early points and start changing things up more in December. He started early and we are still getting points so he’ll probably continue to do so. Maybe depending on who we play too.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I for one am shocked that a healthy offseason and less fresh worry over neck surgery has allowed Letang to bounce back this year. There's no way anybody could have expected that.

PS: that's a lie. But I am super excited at just how good he's been. I was expecting good Letang back, but he's playing as good as he ever has.

So far, Letang's been every bit as good as his advocates over the summer suggested and then some. Awesome to see.

Now he just has to maintain something like this standard and stay relatively healthy.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

We are also pretty flexible especially seeing Cullen-Sheahan-Hornqvist last night as a very capable 3rd line. Brassard would go to the wing in that case for parts of the game.

I thought Sully would have consistent lines early on to get those early points and start changing things up more in December. He started early and we are still getting points so he’ll probably continue to do so. Maybe depending on who we play too.

I was going to say that's a bit optimistic, but I think Sully would have liked some consistent lines too instead of shuffling like mad for sparks.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
So far, Letang's been every bit as good as his advocates over the summer suggested and then some. Awesome to see.

Now he just has to maintain something like this standard and stay relatively healthy.

I haven’t noticed him putting himself in vulnerable positions. He’s making quick decisions and not trying to take too much on if he’s in traffic in the D zone.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
I haven’t noticed him putting himself in vulnerable positions. He’s making quick decisions and not trying to take too much on if he’s in traffic in the D zone.
True, but the Pens haven’t really played a “heavy” team yet that likes to lay the wood. Sure, Washington can do that but without Wilson, and in the 2nd it back to backs, they really didn’t.

Hopefully Letang can keep himself out of the crosshairs this season.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

As much as I love Cullen, I so do not want him playing 15 min a night on the third line....keep him with low ES minutes on L4 and play him on the pk and at the end of games if we’re trying to hold onto a close lead...preserve the guy for the POs

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

If we hadn't been playing soo poorly, we probably would have had consistent lines.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
It's nuts that absolutely no one here consistently argued that you were all being insanely hard on and reactive about Letang and that maybe we shouldn't trade him for a worse but "more stable" defenceman.

Oh wait, there were, and we got an insane amount of shit for it all summer.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I've always done my best to be middle of the road with Letang. As I recognize the talent and hard work he puts in. But I can completely understand why people were frustrated with him this past Summer. And honestly it's only been six games.

Though obviously he has been the team's best player in those six.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Against Vancouver he was using one of his patented reaches to get the puck over center for a dump and got plastered into the glass awkwardly (by Schaller, I think?) but for the most part he's been good about it.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's nuts that absolutely no one here consistently argued that you were all being insanely hard on and reactive about Letang and that maybe we shouldn't trade him for a worse but "more stable" defenceman.

Oh wait, there were, and we got an insane amount of **** for it all summer.

First of all, it wasn't being "reactive", like people turned on him for a bad month or something. Letang hasn't played nearly this well over the last 2 seasons, so there was a considerable sample size to base it on. There's also a long way to go before we can talk about Letang being a better option than a more steady, less dynamic RH PMD. He has to maintain something like this level and stay healthy, both of which are far from guaranteed.

But it's been great to see. I hope he can keep it up so you can fire off a valid "told ya so" post at the end of the season rather than 6 games in.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I've always done my best to be middle of the road with Letang. As I recognize the talent and hard work he puts in. But I can completely understand why people were frustrated with him this past Summer. And honestly it's only been six games.

Though obviously he has been the team's best player in those six.

Legit criticism was always fine. Saying he was finished and nothing but a brain dead moron who the org needed to trade for the betterment of the team, was always a bridge way too far...

Letang took the kind of beating from Pens fans he never deserved, and I’m not just speaking of the ones on here.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Legit criticism was always fine. Saying he was finished and nothing but a brain dead moron who the org needed to trade for the betterment of the team, was always a bridge way too far...

Letang took the kind of beating from Pens fans he never deserved, and I’m not just speaking of the ones on here.

Eh... frustration. Like I said... I try to stay in the middle with him. I've had long-standing qualms but also recognize that he's kind of OUR problem, know what I mean? But I imagine it's tough for some people to watch him go out there and make some of the same gaffes year after year. Which I get. But you also have to recognize what a huge part of this team he really is and the all great things he DOES do.

But the last two years have been a little rough on ol' Tanger. I hope his start is a sign of things to come this year. A top-of-his-game Letang is arguably more important than ANY player on this roster being at the top of their respective games.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The idea that he was an inherently stupid player all along was always a meme that could only flourish in a small isolated internet community that didn’t watch other teams closely. His brain isn’t Karlsson genius but it was never Byfuglien either. Even Burns to me often looks like a way less intelligent player.

I still don’t know why the analytics community always under appreciated him though.. even in 2016 he got no respect.

Reactions: JackFr

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Letang's decision making and hockey IQ is certainly questionable sometimes. But he looks like da Vinci on skates compared to Burns.

Yeah Burns can be brutal sometimes. Plays like a winger.

It was a risk to trade Letang and it was a risk to keep him. I’m glad it’s worked out the way it has since you can’t get a prime Letang back in any trade. It was worth the wait and see especially how serious the injury was and how it affected his game.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Is it fair to equate Letang to Fleury? MAF - a clear #1 goalie in the NHL. At times made out to be the best. At times made out to be the worst. Dabbled with inconsistencies in his career. But at the end of the day most likely a HOFer who had a great career?

I'm just spitballing. I never got into the idea of valuing a player's career until it's over and time has passed to really understand how good that player was. I personally think Letang is what he is. He's a rollercoaster. His great is f***ing great. His bad is pretty bad. And the fans are rollercoasters, too. We went from "omg we wont win the Cup w/o Letang" in 2017 to "Omg we won the cup because we didn't have letang". :laugh:

The haters of Letang, though, have been around for at least 8 years now. There have been threads after threads of potential trades or claiming he's done and i've always said - you will never replace the guy. The only thing you can do is go a different way. It's like having a dog. The dog is awesome but maybe it's not for your lifestyle right now and it doesn't make the best you. Maybe a cat is better right now because it's less to handle. I've always felt that's a fair argument around here. The problem is there are about 10 posters who can have that conversation in an honest and fair way.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Eh... frustration. Like I said... I try to stay in the middle with him. I've had long-standing qualms but also recognize that he's kind of OUR problem, know what I mean? But I imagine it's tough for some people to watch him go out there and make some of the same gaffes year after year. Which I get. But you also have to recognize what a huge part of this team he really is and the all great things he DOES do.

But the last two years have been a little rough on ol' Tanger. I hope his start is a sign of things to come this year. A top-of-his-game Letang is arguably more important than ANY player on this roster being at the top of their respective games.

Ya I get it I guess. Most fans only love a guy when he is playing well.

Guess it shouldn’t be a surprise given how many times Pens fans have given up on the team over the years the moment any adversity strikes.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Is it fair to equate Letang to Fleury? MAF - a clear #1 goalie in the NHL. At times made out to be the best. At times made out to be the worst. Dabbled with inconsistencies in his career. But at the end of the day most likely a HOFer who had a great career?

I'm just spitballing. I never got into the idea of valuing a player's career until it's over and time has passed to really understand how good that player was. I personally think Letang is what he is. He's a rollercoaster. His great is ****ing great. His bad is pretty bad. And the fans are rollercoasters, too. We went from "omg we wont win the Cup w/o Letang" in 2017 to "Omg we won the cup because we didn't have letang". :laugh:

The haters of Letang, though, have been around for at least 8 years now. There have been threads after threads of potential trades or claiming he's done and i've always said - you will never replace the guy. The only thing you can do is go a different way. It's like having a dog. The dog is awesome but maybe it's not for your lifestyle right now and it doesn't make the best you. Maybe a cat is better right now because it's less to handle. I've always felt that's a fair argument around here. The problem is there are about 10 posters who can have that conversation in an honest and fair way.

From my own experiences I’d say hell no. People I have spoken with/read/heard on the radio would make every excuse in the world for MAF and they turned so easily on Letang.

The MAF phenomenon is the weirdest sports related thing I’ve ever encountered in Pgh sports.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
First of all, it wasn't being "reactive", like people turned on him for a bad month or something. Letang hasn't played nearly this well over the last 2 seasons, so there was a considerable sample size to base it on. There's also a long way to go before we can talk about Letang being a better option than a more steady, less dynamic RH PMD. He has to maintain something like this level and stay healthy, both of which are far from guaranteed.

But it's been great to see. I hope he can keep it up so you can fire off a valid "told ya so" post at the end of the season rather than 6 games in.

If we had traded Letang for a more steady PMD, we’d likely be at the bottom of the league atm.

Reactions: JackFr

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If we had traded Letang for a more steady PMD, we’d likely be at the bottom of the league atm.

Could be. But it would depend on the PMD, and 6 games do not a season make.

Either way, it's great to see Letang killing it thus far. I'll happily eat crow if he keeps it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->