Post-Game Talk: Episode 6 (Pens 3, Leafs 0) - Return of the Murri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Is it fair to equate Letang to Fleury? MAF - a clear #1 goalie in the NHL. At times made out to be the best. At times made out to be the worst. Dabbled with inconsistencies in his career. But at the end of the day most likely a HOFer who had a great career?

I'm just spitballing. I never got into the idea of valuing a player's career until it's over and time has passed to really understand how good that player was. I personally think Letang is what he is. He's a rollercoaster. His great is ****ing great. His bad is pretty bad. And the fans are rollercoasters, too. We went from "omg we wont win the Cup w/o Letang" in 2017 to "Omg we won the cup because we didn't have letang". :laugh:

The haters of Letang, though, have been around for at least 8 years now. There have been threads after threads of potential trades or claiming he's done and i've always said - you will never replace the guy. The only thing you can do is go a different way. It's like having a dog. The dog is awesome but maybe it's not for your lifestyle right now and it doesn't make the best you. Maybe a cat is better right now because it's less to handle. I've always felt that's a fair argument around here. The problem is there are about 10 posters who can have that conversation in an honest and fair way.

Not at all. Letang has been effective every year of his career except last year when he was clearly recovering from an injury that ten years ago would have ended an athletes career.

The team was also awful last year defensively so you’re # 1 in TOI is clearly going to get destroyed. As has been shown once the team turned around, Letang’s play turned around and too many people focus on an atrocious couple of plays in the Cap series and completely ignore the fact he basically set up the dagger in Game 6 against Philly and then was the only person to score in a must win in Game 6 in Washington.

MAF has a three year stretch of atrocious play that was entire mental. Letang’s bad play has almost always coincided with injuries.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Could be. But it would depend on the PMD, and 6 games do not a season make.

Either way, it's great to see Letang killing it thus far. I'll happily eat crow if he keeps it up.

It’s okay, I get your bit. Everything is greener. Funny, how Sprong was still a disaster last night despite playing with Brassard and that Simon - Brassard - Sprong got caved in possession wise as has been common place this season for any line Sprong is on.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I haven’t noticed him putting himself in vulnerable positions. He’s making quick decisions and not trying to take too much on if he’s in traffic in the D zone.

Let’s be honest, most of the hits that have injured Letang have nothing to do with vulnerability. They have to do with forwards taking runs at him.

If he didn’t have a stroke / this neck thing he’d essentially be Malkin in terms of the 5-20 games missed due to nagging injuries thing.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Pixies.. come off it. :laugh: You talk about how non-combative you are in real life. Just discuss both sides, agree to disagree, but the internet-style jabs are worthless. All you are going to do is get the Sprong crew on fire.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Pixies.. come off it. :laugh: You talk about how non-combative you are in real life. Just discuss both sides, agree to disagree, but the internet-style jabs are worthless. All you are going to do is get the Sprong crew on fire.

I just want realistic analysis of players.

We all know what Letang’s faults are, but honestly he’s been probably the most consistent player in the playoffs for us after Sid and Malkin since 2008. He had a bad couple of games in the Washington series. We all can acknowledge that. He’s 32. But, people acted like we “had” to move him.

Also, the Sprong nonsense is just ridiculous. People saying if he gets 14-17 minutes he just suddenly would be a 25 goal scorer. It’s like we’ve never seen a prospect before.. And I really, really like Sprong. It’s just so tiresome to hear how wrong our back to back cup winning coach is because he isn’t playing a 21 year old with a couple assists right.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Let’s be honest, most of the hits that have injured Letang have nothing to do with vulnerability. They have to do with forwards taking runs at him.

If he didn’t have a stroke / this neck thing he’d essentially be Malkin in terms of the 5-20 games missed due to nagging injuries thing.

The Shane Doan hit was probably the worst that comes to mind.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

If he didn’t have a stroke / this neck thing he’d essentially be Malkin in terms of the 5-20 nagging injuries thing.

He did take a lot of hits within a body length of the boards in the D zone to make a play. Almost like he watches it instead of getting out of it. Yeah a lot of them were bad hits but the NHL let em get away with it. Tanev does it a lot too and gets injured. They aren’t big enough to take that punishment.

I get it. Take the hit for the team but it’s not a great idea. I like his play this year. Quick smart plays and move on.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Down, Callahan, Rinaldo, Nystrom, even Oshie last year was borderline.

If you want to see he makes himself “vulnerable” because he yaps and plays dirty himself, I can completely agree with that.

I don't know if forwards take runs at him because he yaps and plays dirty himself. Most of those guys in the list take runs at anyone they can cause that's the way they play. And all the better if they can hurt the other team's best D-man.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Yes please don’t start that fire again. :laugh:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
As long as you, my brother, are on my side, I'm fine with being late to the party ;)

5915d4cba5f26c89833510b088cf1cb2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad