Post-Game Talk: Episode 6 (Pens 3, Leafs 0) - Return of the Murri

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Surprised MM would let that pro-Russian propaganda on his show.

I don't listen to it often because I have sirius but NHL Radio was insufferable (based out of Toronto). So I tuned in for a second and it was actually a good segment from an NHL.com writer who had a really good pulse on the team. The guy writes for freaking nhl.cm so he has to cover 31 teams i'm assuming and he had a better pulse on our team than Yohe ever does.

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
I don't listen to it often because I have sirius but NHL Radio was insufferable (based out of Toronto). So I tuned in for a second and it was actually a good segment from an NHL.com writer who had a really good pulse on the team. The guy writes for freaking nhl.cm so he has to cover 31 teams i'm assuming and he had a better pulse on our team than Yohe ever does.
The only writer I care for is Jonathan Bombulie.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
A couple things that need to be said...
1) this was a great win but it’s not sustainable over the course of 82 games...if they can play like 2016,they should wait to do so until March when they’re in a PO run....part of the reason for the win was taking TOR by surprise in the first period with the pressure and their sticks...

2) we should surprise teams in March with this play, like we did in 2016 and like the Caps did last year ...in the meantime, find a way to win now that doesn’t look like the crap they were trotting out the last five games but isn’t this intensely energetic....I don’t want them blocking shots like this during the RS and I don’t want Sully shortening the bench...we need this play and commitment in March if we want to play in June and it’s too early to trot this out every game...and I don’t think they will because it’s hard to get excited playing every bottom feeder team...I doubt we’ll see this effort against EDM

3) the only player I want to keep up this level of play for the RS is Murray....if the goaltending can be this on point, they don’t have to play like ball busters every game

I’ll be interested to see how they play in EDM after another 5 days off and relexing in Banff

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Great win! I just want to be on record for saying Letangs trade stock hasn't been higher in years. This is the time.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
A caught a little on local radio from Claude Julien, no point being a fast skater if your brain is 3 steps behind. You got to have the speed, brain and hands to make it fully work.

That's exactly it.

I have never been the fastest skater, but I was always one of the guys that could process and therefore play the game at a very high speed. Same thing is soccer, being a fast team is not just about having fast runners.

Generate speed in your game is as much about puck movement as it is about skating. Quick passes, puck support, tight defending (when you press quickly the puck carrier, it gives them the impression that your are VERY quick and it will tire them out), positionning in general.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Murray just looked like he lost his confidence...the way he was fighting every puck
Last night was completely different...the old MM, just a steady positional game (he had a couple acrobatics)

The other thing about it is that this is the first game of the season where the F's and D' finally looked like they were on the same page with their rotations. Dmen were pinching but with support. It's amazing to see that this team is capable of clamping down when it wants to.

I guess if you want to summarize last night's game is that they "weren't disjointed" liked it seemed in ALL of the prior games (win or loss)

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
That's non-sense. Letang is an elite defender, you do not trade those away unless you absolutely have to OR if you get a deal too good to be true.

Considering what our defense would look like without Letang, it's a moronic consideration.
I mean unless Edm wants to trade us McDavid for him, ok then yea see ya Letang

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
In speaking Letang...His contract is so weird cause when he plays like last years the contract is a disaster but when he plays like he has so far this years it’s a bargain

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
If Letang keeps playing like he has been and Murray can build off last night, I like our odds very much, against anyone.

That was an absolute clinic. Almost orgasmic.

200.gif

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
His contract is so weird cause when he plays like last years the contract is a disaster but when he plays like he has so far this years it’s a bargain
I'm assuming you're talking about Letang? If yes, I agree.

Also, it has been a problem with him for years- hitting the net with a shot from a blue line and being a good QB on PP. But so far he's been good even at this.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The team actually plays defense and Murray looks good again. It could be a coincidence.

Loved the battle effort last night from everyone.

It would have been nice to bury a few of those chances so they wouldn't have had to shorten their bench, but I completely understand Sully doing so. How does a coach have confidence in those 2 after seeing that terrible shift in a 1-goal game against a team as dangerous as the Leafs? They finally play the way Sully wants them to, so he rightfully did whatever it took to hold on to the W.

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
I'm assuming you're talking about Letang? If yes, I agree.

Also, it has been a problem with him for years- hitting the net with a shot from a blue line and being a good QB on PP. But so far he's been good even at this.
It was Errey I think that first made a note of his new windup. Instead of those big windups he took in the past, he looks to be doing a more controlled, short stroke. Almost looks like he's putting a golf ball. It is really working for him.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
Murray bailed out this defense quite a few times yesterday.

Going into playoffs, I would be concerned about defense crop(if there's no changes) and scoring depth on wing (last year we only had one winger producing at ES in PO-Guentzel, if Kessel was healthy there would be two, probably).

But first they'll need to survive the grind of RS and get a playoffs spot.

Reactions: EightyOne

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
A couple things that need to be said...
1) this was a great win but it’s not sustainable over the course of 82 games...if they can play like 2016,they should wait to do so until March when they’re in a PO run....part of the reason for the win was taking TOR by surprise in the first period with the pressure and their sticks...

2) we should surprise teams in March with this play, like we did in 2016 and like the Caps did last year ...in the meantime, find a way to win now that doesn’t look like the crap they were trotting out the last five games but isn’t this intensely energetic....I don’t want them blocking shots like this during the RS and I don’t want Sully shortening the bench...we need this play and commitment in March if we want to play in June and it’s too early to trot this out every game...and I don’t think they will because it’s hard to get excited playing every bottom feeder team...I doubt we’ll see this effort against EDM

3) the only player I want to keep up this level of play for the RS is Murray....if the goaltending can be this on point, they don’t have to play like ball busters every game

I’ll be interested to see how they play in EDM after another 5 days off and relexing in Banff

I want to debunk the old argument of preserve energy vs. sustainable play.

The way they played last night is 100% sustainable. It won't always work, as life with hockey, but what you saw last night was a game loaded with good habits. I'm okay if Geno or Kessel cheat from time to time because all great forwards do it. But if the habits are more-so like last night as opposed to the first 5 games, the team will be fine. That is sustainable and will not blow their energy.

Where you preserve energy is maintenance days at practice, not overplaying in games, and putting players in scenarios where they aren't exhausted. Let's break this down further starting with maintenance days. We already know what that is. Give them days off. Force Sid out of the rink. Give Geno time with his family.

For situational (scenario) hockey, it's putting Geno/Kessel/Sid out on offensive zone faceoffs and PP minutes. That will help preserve their energy. Don't give them PK duties or final minute preserve lead duties. Let Cully/Sheahan/Hags do that. Same goes for overplaying. Give Brass 15-16 minutes. Give the kids 11-13 minutes. Keep Geno/Sid/Kessel at 16-18 and NOT 21. Keep Horny on the 4th line until he's needed later. Who gives a f*** about his production now. His production will come when he turns into Wolverine in the postseason.

THAT is how you preserve energy and create good habits at the same time. Sure... they'll have a stinker here and there. All teams do. But if the good habits are there, this team will be more than fine. And if they can find last night's level on a consistent basis, they will be one of the toughest teams to knock out of the playoffs. There is no flipping a switch right at March. The habits are built through the season.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It was Errey I think that first made a note of his new windup. Instead of those big windups he took in the past, he looks to be doing a more controlled, short stroke. Almost looks like he's putting a golf ball. It is really working for him.

Maybe it’s just people being overly critical.

Last year’s narrative was Schultz was better at the PP because he shot more and hit the net. When Jesse analyzed the data both of those numbers went to Letang.

Perspective is effected by bias..

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Last year’s narrative was Schultz was better at the PP because he shot more and hit the net. When Jesse analyzed the data both of those numbers went to Letang.

Letang wasn’t himself last year, although he wasn’t nearly as bad as the anti-Letang crew made him out to be.

I was fine with legit criticism of him, but those who declared him washed up and gave up on the guy.... pretty brutal.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Yeah. This is actually one of the most exciting new developments on the young season, to me. I've definitely noticed.

Letang has been DAMNED impressive so far this year.

Also... side note: how the hell is Malkin sitting at nearly 60% on the year in the circle?!?

Reactions: KIRK

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
For situational (scenario) hockey, it's putting Geno/Kessel/Sid out on offensive zone faceoffs and PP minutes. That will help preserve their energy. Don't give them PK duties or final minute preserve lead duties. Let Cully/Sheahan/Hags do that. Same goes for overplaying. Give Brass 15-16 minutes. Give the kids 11-13 minutes. Keep Geno/Sid/Kessel at 16-18 and NOT 21. Keep Horny on the 4th line until he's needed later. Who gives a **** about his production now. His production will come when he turns into Wolverine in the postseason.

Just on ice time - that was pretty well handled last night. Sid only forward above 18 minutes, Letang kept to 'only' 25:01. Feel like that's sustainable, although it would be nice to get them the odd lower night every now and again.

Reactions: ColePens

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

I'd be interested to know which gave up more SH chances against, than who put more PP pucks on net.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad