Entry Draft Thread: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I think Im going to pay the 5$/month for those shift by shifts. My schedule is opening up just a bit for the next few weeks.

Which players do you guys like up to now ? Sleepers ?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I think Im going to pay the 5$/month for those shift by shifts. My schedule is opening up just a bit for the next few weeks.

I’m gonna go with the Q guys because they are them that I know the most

Alex Beaucage
Jordan Spence
Xavier Simoneau
Christopher Ortiz
Egor Serdyuk
Samuel Bolduc

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL

Great thing with shift by shifts is you don't really need to have a different schedule, being 11 to 20 minute videos.

Puistola is killing it in Mestis, 15 goals in 20 games. Really liked his toolkit at the 5 Nations. I think there's a couple of his on there.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Great thing with shift by shifts is you don't really need to have a different schedule, being 11 to 20 minute videos.

Puistola is killing it in Mestis, 15 goals in 20 games. Really liked his toolkit at the 5 Nations. I think there's a couple of his on there.

I watched him earlier on the year. Liked him quite a bit too.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Basically any but the Q.
Assuming you know of all the top 20-30ish guys

WHL: Tracey, Foote, Hamaliuk, Korzcak, Williams, Thomson, Lee, Gauthier, Zaitsev, Mutala, Newkirk

OHL: Robertson, Kolyachonok, Rees, Murray, Constantinou, Tomasino, Vukojevic, Mackay, Keppen

USNTDP: Beecher, Warren

USHL: Afanasayev, Brink, Matrosimone, Firstov, Johnson, Maccelli, Malone, Kallionkelli

Finland: Puistola, Saarela, Hugo has, Tanus, Nikkanen, Aaltonen, Tuomisto, Kokkonen, Honka, Tieksola, Raty, Loponen,

Sweden: Holmstrom, Muzik, Soderblom, Fagemo (OA), Grewe, Hoglander, Bjornfoot, Feuk, Johansson(2x) Soderblom, Gustaffson, Macklin, Wernblom, Henriksson

KHL/MHL: Spiridonov, Gutik, Nikolaaev, Mironov, Kniazev, Misyul, Pribilsky

Czech: Teply (Haven't caught any games but I think he's been mentionned a few times here.), Plasek, Psenicka, Bernovski

BCHL: Campbell, Berger, Blaisdell, Verboon, Rizzo

OJHL Ciccolini

Seider in Germany

Haven't scouted the AJHL but heard some good things about Olson

Bolded are some of my favorites.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Kind of weird, but if we do miss the playoffs it'll likely be with us getting 90+ pts, while a team in the West will get in with 85pts, and we'll draft ahead of them.

I'm ok with a top 15 pick. Would love to win the lottery obviously.

I'm fine with that given that we drafted after NYR once after being eliminated by them in the playoffs.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Kind of weird, but if we do miss the playoffs it'll likely be with us getting 90+ pts, while a team in the West will get in with 85pts, and we'll draft ahead of them.

I'm ok with a top 15 pick. Would love to win the lottery obviously.
I could be wrong, but right now we would be drafting 20th while the Canes who are 1 point back would be drafting 15th(with the lottery chance). That's nuts.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
At this point, probably Turcotte. He's more complete and he's got a slighly better frame. To be perfectly honest though, I haven't seen enough of either to really have a strong opinion. The U18 next april will be telling for me, it's where I'll make my mind.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Turcotte for me. Hes kind of a better Newhook. Both are really similar, Turcotte just does it better.

I think both probably end up as high end 2cs, but theres some 1C in Turcotte.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I guess I'm kind of skeptical of the entire USNTDP crop, including Hughes. Between the two of Newhook and Turcotte, I actually think Newhook has the more ''premiere player'' upside. I don't say 1C because he's absolute garbage on faceoffs and might actually end up better on the wing. But between the two I think the higher upside belongs to Newhook. That also speaks to the difference in these two players' games. Turcotte's game is way more straight forward. That has its drawbacks as I have already mentioned, but it also has its benefits. I'm pretty sure that what Turcotte is doing will work at the NHL level. Whereas there are those little bonehead plays that Newhook makes.

Why I'm skeptical of the NTDP guys is that I think they're all benefitting from playing with one another. Thats not to say that they're untalented, quite the contrary. But what I think might be happening is that they're all good players made to look better than they really are by playing with each other. That none of them is a world beater but they might look it because their team is wall to wall quality, whereas the average USHL team is a few good players and a bunch of NPCs.

Reactions: covfefe

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

I want hot takes on the Swedish and Finnish defencemen.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
So we usually start the Early Bird Mock Draft the day after the trade deadline when picks are known and stable for awhile, since there aren't really trades til after the season at that point.

Are you guys still up for it? It's a week away.

I found 7 rounds long and draining, so I was considering reducing it to 5 rounds. Thoughts?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I guess I'm kind of skeptical of the entire USNTDP crop, including Hughes. Between the two of Newhook and Turcotte, I actually think Newhook has the more ''premiere player'' upside. I don't say 1C because he's absolute garbage on faceoffs and might actually end up better on the wing. But between the two I think the higher upside belongs to Newhook. That also speaks to the difference in these two players' games. Turcotte's game is way more straight forward. That has its drawbacks as I have already mentioned, but it also has its benefits. I'm pretty sure that what Turcotte is doing will work at the NHL level. Whereas there are those little bonehead plays that Newhook makes.

Why I'm skeptical of the NTDP guys is that I think they're all benefitting from playing with one another. Thats not to say that they're untalented, quite the contrary. But what I think might be happening is that they're all good players made to look better than they really are by playing with each other. That none of them is a world beater but they might look it because their team is wall to wall quality, whereas the average USHL team is a few good players and a bunch of NPCs.

Turcotte doesn't play with Hughes/Zegras though and he plays the 2nd PP.

Really you're looking at a kid that has overall elite tools and a top notch motor. The only reason why I have him as a "possible" 2nd liner is that his goalscoring is suspect.

Top it all off with him having the best PPG on the team vs College player, he's good, man.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So we usually start the Early Bird Mock Draft the day after the trade deadline when picks are known and stable for awhile, since there aren't really trades til after the season at that point.

Are you guys still up for it? It's a week away.

I found 7 rounds long and draining, so I was considering reducing it to 5 rounds. Thoughts?
Dibs

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Turcotte doesn't play with Hughes/Zegras though and he plays the 2nd PP.

Really you're looking at a kid that has overall elite tools and a top notch motor. The only reason why I have him as a "possible" 2nd liner is that his goalscoring is suspect.

No, but he plays with Boldy and occasionally Caufield (usually Moynihan though). And Caufield plays with Zegras and Hughes. And they all play with York. Point being that he's always on the ice with top prospects. It's difficult to determine who is the straw stirring the drink, they're just all better than the competition and they always have the puck. The only exception on that team, IMO, is Hughes.

I'm not saying Turcotte's being carried, but doesn't it worry you that the only stand out on that team is the presumptive #1OA? How can you tell that these guys aren't just all late first talents playing together? For example, let's say you put Jamieson Rees on that team. What do you think he'd do and would he go from a late first to a top 10 talent all of a sudden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad