Entry Draft Thread: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Another SHL goal for my 3rd round pick last year, his 10th of the season. Just keeping you shlimazels up to date.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
On USHL forwards, Mastrosimone looks like an NHL player to me. I doubt he will be a tremendously productive player at the next level, but I also have very little doubt that he'll be a middle 6 winger. He plays the game at a very high pace, he can shoot, and he shoots quickly, he has enough puck skills to create space for himself, and he has enough play making ability when that fails him.

Matias Maccelli has the skill to be a major offensive contributor at the NHL level. He has superb puck skills, eyes on the back of his head. His passing game is very creative and complemented by accurate passes both on the forehand and backhand, even through traffic. He has a deadly little wrist shot, and he's a very fast and agile skater which allows him to win puck races all game long and create odd man rushes. All this skill has allowed him to be 3rd overall in USHL scoring, 16 points clear of the next player on his team. However, he's a cherry picker and defensively mediocre when he's not which simply won't fly at the NHL level. It's a case where you really wish you could interview this kid to make sure he's at least coachable. If so, he's a first round talent.

On Afanasyev, I think I'm probably off the bandwagon at this point. His feet are so slow and his tool kit not nearly diverse enough to compensate for it. While his playmaking is quick and intelligent, he's not a playmaker per se. While his shot is devastatingly powerful, I don't see him getting the separation at the NHL to get it off regularly. I love the tool kit and it's not a case where he doesn't understand how to play the game, but too much has to go right for him to be the player you're dreaming of, IMO.

Josh Nodler is another kid who just looks like an NHL player. I still need to watch a few more games of his but, similar to Mastrosimone, he plays the game at a very high pace. I have to watch him play a few more games before I give a more detailed scouting report of him, but he plays the game aggressively and at a high pace and has some skill to go with it. I've seen him play both wing and center. The only goals I've seen him score have been from in close, so I have no idea if he can shoot, but he's a pretty dangerous play maker.

Reactions: jvr32 and G0bias

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
On USHL forwards, Mastrosimone looks like an NHL player to me. I doubt he will be a tremendously productive player at the next level, but I also have very little doubt that he'll be a middle 6 winger. He plays the game at a very high pace, he can shoot, and he shoots quickly, he has enough puck skills to create space for himself, and he has enough play making ability when that fails him.

Matias Maccelli has the skill to be a major offensive contributor at the NHL level. He has superb puck skills, eyes on the back of his head. His passing game is very creative and complemented by accurate passes both on the forehand and backhand, even through traffic. He has a deadly little wrist shot, and he's a very fast and agile skater which allows him to win puck races all game long and create odd man rushes. All this skill has allowed him to be 3rd overall in USHL scoring, 16 points clear of the next player on his team. However, he's a cherry picker and defensively mediocre when he's not which simply won't fly at the NHL level. It's a case where you really wish you could interview this kid to make sure he's at least coachable. If so, he's a first round talent.

On Afanasyev, I think I'm probably off the bandwagon at this point. His feet are so slow and his tool kit not nearly diverse enough to compensate for it. While his playmaking is quick and intelligent, he's not a playmaker per se. While his shot is devastatingly powerful, I don't see him getting the separation at the NHL to get it off regularly. I love the tool kit and it's not a case where he doesn't understand how to play the game, but too much has to go right for him to be the player you're dreaming of, IMO.

Josh Nodler is another kid who just looks like an NHL player. I still need to watch a few more games of his but, similar to Mastrosimone, he plays the game at a very high pace. I have to watch him play a few more games before I give a more detailed scouting report of him, but he plays the game aggressively and at a high pace and has some skill to go with it. I've seen him play both wing and center. The only goals I've seen him score have been from in close, so I have no idea if he can shoot, but he's a pretty dangerous play maker.
Is there any Dubuque games in the free archive?

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Metallurg(Dorofeyev)-Neftekhimik starting in half an hour.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
This seems like year where a sub is actually worth it with quite a few stud worthy players in both junior leagues available, so I might splurge.

Totes worth it. Last year it was really just for the 5 nations and the U18 team. 10x the talent this year.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I hope Pelletier is there when the Habs pick. Having watched him the last two years, I think he could be a great pick. He drives the play and plays with an underrated edge. Not physical, but he isn't afraid either. He reminds me of a more skilled Gallagher.

Reactions: Vachon23

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Tracey is up to 62 pts in 54 games. Beckman had a 3 point night. I think I agree with @covfefe 's ranking of them, specifically

Tracey
Beckman
Newkirk

I like the look of Beckman even if he's not as productive as Newkirk.

Reactions: covfefe and Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I have a really hard time coming up with a guy who plays like Kaliyev who also plays in the NHL.
Theres very little guys who have the offensive tools Kaliyev has, so thats a factor. I mentionned JVR, I think they both play similar at times, but Kaliyev is a much better playmaker and much better on the rush. Really if you want a real comparison Id go Marty era Stammer, though not perfect, I think its close.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Theres very little guys who have the offensive tools Kaliyev has, so thats a factor. I mentionned JVR, I think they both play similar at times, but Kaliyev is a much better playmaker and much better on the rush. Really if you want a real comparison Id go Marty era Stammer, though not perfect, I think its close.

I just watched his most recent game against Peterborough, and I have to say, I have never been less impressed by a 3 point performance. He was so slow, so lazy, he didn't make it through his first shift without an unforced giveaway, if he was ever well covered that play died on his stick, and he ended the game with 3 points.

I think the team who picks him is asking to get Brendled.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I just watched his most recent game against Peterborough, and I have to say, I have never been less impressed by a 3 point performance. He was so slow, so lazy, he didn't make it through his first shift without an unforced giveaway, if he was ever well covered that play died on his stick, and he ended the game with 3 points.

I think the team who picks him is asking to get Brendled.
He had three points though. I think everyone and their mother knows hes not going to be driving the play in the NHL, but hes a skilled player and hes going to score goals. Id much rather bet on that than a guy like Suzuki or Krebs.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He had three points though. I think everyone and their mother knows hes not going to be driving the play in the NHL, but hes a skilled player and hes going to score goals. Id much rather bet on that than a guy like Suzuki or Krebs.

Where? In the extraliga, or?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad