Confirmed with Link: Enroth on Waivers(Update: He cleared, sent to Marlies)

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I was just thinking that. I can't even remember Enroth playing or given any sort of chance. Leafs are ruthless and waste so much money as well. Poor Enroth. He will be much better on his next team. Plus the Leafs D is brutal. How can any goalie play well , numbers wise.

Sarcasm? Andersen has posted .931SV after his first five games. Now I know Enroth didn't get many games but that's the life of a backup. He didn't do himself any favours by playing bad in all four games.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Except Hunwick and Polak. Those guys can **** up all they want and keep getting even more minutes.

They're literally the only veteran presence on the blueline right now, and I think all of management, from Babcock to Shanny, believes in having a few guys with experience around. This is the first full year with Rielly and Gardiner (and now Zaitsev) running the show, and it's good for them to have older guys to fall back on. Up front we have a more capable veteran presence with guys like Bozak, Komarov, Martin, and now Kadri, but the D is young and green as is, and infinitely more so if we replace those 2 permanently with prospects. Should we have better options? Ideally, yes, but they won't be around forever. Have patience. Loov, Valiev, Nielsen and co. will be along shortly.

Hopefully Ramo can provide the same thing behind Andersen.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I was just thinking that. I can't even remember Enroth playing or given any sort of chance. Leafs are ruthless and waste so much money as well. Poor Enroth. He will be much better on his next team. Plus the Leafs D is brutal. How can any goalie play well , numbers wise.

He played Wednesday and let in the first two shots he faced.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
Good to see them being decisive and proactive. We have Andersen playing well, but we need a backup that can win, it's Enroths fault he didn't play well.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Wow I have never seen the Leafs so ruthless. When they see weakness, they cut bait and move on. Amazing really.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Not a fan of Enroth .... but man he did not get a lot of starts.
Just a handful ... and mostly (all?) on back to backs.

Seems a bit harsh to judge him on 6 starts ... when our 5x5 guy was horrible in his first 6 starts.
But not losing sleep ... he is a backup goalie on a 1 year trip.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I really wonder if this is more a dislike of Enroth's playing style? Maybe they want a goalie with similar style to andersen? Makes it easier for the team to play in front of the backup.
Babcock said something along the lines of "organizational change".

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I really wonder if this is more a dislike of Enroth's playing style? Maybe they want a goalie with similar style to andersen? Makes it easier for the team to play in front of the backup.
Babcock said something along the lines of "organizational change".

They knew who their starting goalie was before signing Enroth.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
At least Sparks has been moderately consistent which is a good quality in a goalie
Bibeau is either really good or hot garbage
Not much in between

I don't think either is good enough as a back-up long term at this stage
Maybe as a fill in desperation style
Not saying much though
Pretty much yup!
Bibeau being younger gives me hope for him still. Plus he's big and good positioning. If he can get the mental fortitude I think he will be an nhl goalie.
I just remember how solid he was for val d'or in that memorial cup and hold on to his potential.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
By being worse than him every season? I don't even like Sparks as an NHL prospect, but Bibeau is bad. He's not even backup worthy so far. .913, .909 and now .907 this season so far. Not to mention .911/.900 his last year in junior. He's slow tracking the puck and has poor rebound control. It baffles me how many people think he's a legit prospect.

He's still young. His puck tracking is not bad. My opinion is its his mental toughness that's in question.
He has a long steep road ahead of him but I'm still cheering for him.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I don't think so, to be honest. I'm getting the sense that Ramo was the guy they wanted all along, and Enroth was a stop-gap until Karri was ready. Enroth may have even known that. If this is true, I expect Ramo to have a longer leash than Enroth did, even if he performs poorly out of the gate.

I also think this.

Rhynne

Nov 14, 2016
Not a fan of Enroth .... but man he did not get a lot of starts.
Just a handful ... and mostly (all?) on back to backs.

Seems a bit harsh to judge him on 6 starts ... when our 5x5 guy was horrible in his first 6 starts.
But not losing sleep ... he is a backup goalie on a 1 year trip.

Yeah, all 4 of his starts(total of 6 appearances) were on back to backs which is certainly tough. I guess the main issue is that although Andersen was also really bad in his first 5 starts, the whole team was dreadful at that time and since then there has been significant improvement in both Andersen's and the team's play. Unfortunately Enroth has not shown the same progression in his play hence the waiving. It doesn't help that he's 5'10" and doesn't fit the mould of the goalie that Babcock likes/wants. Maybe if he was bigger he'd had been given a longer leash?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Imagine if Andersen was given this completely narrow minded, short sighted sample.

Unbelievable.

Andersen gets more rope because hes the long term goalie.

The one and only job of a backup goalie is to be competent. If you can't be competent, then the team has every right to move on from you. The season is almost 30% over, his future with the Leafs was always going to end at the conclusion of the season. Theres nothing narrow minded about what I said. Hes not doing his job, its time to move on.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Andersen gets more rope because hes the long term goalie.

The one and only job of a backup goalie is to be competent. If you can't be competent, then the team has every right to move on from you. The season is almost 30% over, his future with the Leafs was always going to end at the conclusion of the season. Theres nothing narrow minded about what I said. Hes not doing his job, its time to move on.

You justified your point by using two shots in the previous game.

Any knowledgable hockey fan that when you start basing your opinions on the revency bias you're going to have faulty judgement.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
There was a different atmosphere with Enroth in net, really strange that the team as a whole worked that out. Just shows that he isn't a fit here, give him the opportunity to work elsewhere. Since we are protecting Andersen in the expansion, I imagine we'll be bringing Ramo to expose over Sparks/Bibeau?

Can't say I am surprised by any of these proceedings.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He's a backup goalie. He was given two months of the season, and played typical backup goalie work.

He did it poorly.

Because of that, he got replaced.

He's been bad. He's garnered us just 1 point in his starts. He's easily cost us 4 other points with his play, and those would make a big difference for us right now.

Now, management is going to try to find a different goalie that can perform when needed in a backup role

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Imagine if Andersen was given this completely narrow minded, short sighted sample.

Unbelievable.

Andersen is our starter locked up to a long term contract. Of course he's getting the benefit of the doubt. There is no such thing as fairness.

Wow I have never seen the Leafs so ruthless. When they see weakness, they cut bait and move on. Amazing really.

As it should be. It's a result oriented business. And it's not personal, it's business.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad