Confirmed with Link: Enroth on Waivers(Update: He cleared, sent to Marlies)

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
who cares hes a meh backup goalie who sucked. glad to see accountability. Also to the topic of him playing the 2nds of back to backs... that's what a backup's job is. You think a team in a perfect world wouldn't wanna start their #1 82 games if rest permitted it? They know their job is the 2nd game and if youre terrible at them then what's the point?

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Well I never liked the signing from the beginning. But there was all this talk of hard work ethic, perfect guy in back up role, etc.

Looking forward to someone else actually. Babs seen something he didn't like clearly and has kicked that up to Lou and well, Lou took care of the rest.

This is just winning mentality that has been lacking too long.

Last edited:

jaybo21

Oct 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Except Hunwick and Polak. Those guys can **** up all they want and keep getting even more minutes.

I agree, but we dont have much in terms of upgrades for those guys, we literally have a goalie sitting in our dressing room waiting for a contract. There is really no harm in this.

If he signs and sucks....oh well, we already had a back up that was bad, there is no risk. more of a low risk, high reward type of deal.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
pure politics..you dont evaluate a backup after 4 games especially on a rebuilding team.

you guys really fell for that organziational nonsense?

ramo is most likely ready and its his job now so enroth got the short end of it.

also babcocks system doesnt favour short goales enroth wasnt a match

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
You justified your point by using two shots in the previous game.

Any knowledgable hockey fan that when you start basing your opinions on the revency bias you're going to have faulty judgement.

It was an example.

Do you want actual justification?

0-3-1, 3.94 GAA, 8.72sv%

Why should we keep him? He ranks third last in sv% of goalies with more then 4 gp. Almost any goalie could provide that, with a chance he will be better.

How much longer should we give him to figure this out? The clock is ticking and he isnt performing. He can be assigned to the Marlies and his contract buried, or go to Europe and have his contract wiped clean.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Only thing I would say about this is that Enroth had a strong season last year and this is the first time in decade his save percentage has fallen below .900. His first season was .892 but that was only 1 game.

So based on a sample size of 6, they determined that he's lost it and not performing to a decade long standard?

Doesn't seem plausible to me. Sounds like more going on and performance (over 6) is the public statement.

In the end, it doesn't matter though. Enroth's money is guaranteed and they want to go in another direction for whatever reason. It's their perrogative and the player will get his money.

So be it.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Enroth was a place holder until Ramo was ready.

The Enroth signing was generally seen as a safe move on this board. Lou saw it as a low dollar stop-gap but things have gone sideways - not uncommon in this organization for a new goalie.

I was hoping for a back-up platoon before the Enroth signing and that may be what we will see going forward. Goaltender knee injury recovery and recurrence are a difficult thing to depend upon.

Worst case is we have some NHL experience in Sparks to fall back on. Glass is unknown but experienced at the pro level. Bib eau is a wild card. The best thing about Ramo is he is used to sharing the net.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
It was an example.

Do you want actual justification?

0-3-1, 3.94 GAA, 8.72sv%

Why should we keep him? He ranks third last in sv% of goalies with more then 4 gp. Almost any goalie could provide that, with a chance he will be better.

How much longer should we give him to figure this out? The clock is ticking and he isnt performing. He can be assigned to the Marlies and his contract buried, or go to Europe and have his contract wiped clean.

:popcorn:

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Hes the backup goalie and the season is 1/3 over. Even if we kepe him all year his sample size wont be big enough to determine much of anything anyways. Hes not getting the job done in anyway so whats the harm in trying someone else?

You don't run an professional sports team based on 4 game sample sizes. Recipe for disaster and it's extremely inefficient will only hurt you in the long run.

If this stop gap plan for Ramo was always a thought or the plan though, I can see the reasoning.

Last edited by a moderator:

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
You don't run an professional sports team based on 4 game sample sizes. Recipe for disaster and it's extremely inefficient will only hurt you in the long run.

If this stop gap plan for Ramo was always a thought or the plan though, I can see the reasoning.

Its not just a 4 game sample size... its 9-10 weeks of practice too. Its probably safe to say that Babs and Company has a good grasp on what Enroth can bring.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Decisions on marginal NHL players are made on small sample sizes all the time. Like daily, by every team in the league.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Its not just a 4 game sample size... its 9-10 weeks of practice too. Its probably safe to say that Babs and Company has a good grasp on what Enroth can bring.

Many never consider that what they witness in practice/in the room has a large bearing on how they view the player. Safe to say, he wasn't kicked to the curb because of 4 games.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Decisions on marginal NHL players are made on small sample sizes all the time. Like daily, by every team in the league.

Think I am just annoyed at the lynching aspect AFTER he was waived.

"Oh ya, guy is a bum, deserved it. Let in 2 goals on 3 shots, knew this was coming"

When in fact, mostly all liked the signing, including yourself.

And back up goalies usually get a larger shake than 4 games. So I don't agree with your first statement.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Think I am just annoyed at the lynching aspect AFTER he was waived.

"Oh ya, guy is a bum, deserved it. Let in 2 goals on 3 shots, knew this was coming"

When in fact, mostly all liked the signing, including yourself.

And back up goalies usually get a larger shake than 4 games. So I don't agree with your first statement.

Sure I liked the signing. But I was expecting some indication he was going to be able to perform adequetly. But he hasnt shown that.

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto

So do you start playing Enroth 2 or 3 games in a row, just to get a better sample size? Your backup goalie should be able to be that guy to jump in, and play a good game, then jump back out. This isn't a Bernier vs. Reimer situation where we need to see what we have in both goalies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
There might be more to the story too guys. Maybe it's not completely on performance alone. Maybe Enroth wasn't happy. Maybe Leafs didn't like his methods... maybe the Leafs have something in the works that'll bring him a better back up of some kind. Maybe it's a mix of everything all together. We don't have better internally and I doubt Ramo is seen as a necessary upgrade when he hasn't played in 10 months or so, but maybe they prefer what he brings and we'll have to see if it pays off.

Let's see how it plays out and then make our judgements when everything is said and done.

Last edited:

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Only thing I would say about this is that Enroth had a strong season last year and this is the first time in decade his save percentage has fallen below .900. His first season was .892 but that was only 1 game.

So based on a sample size of 6, they determined that he's lost it and not performing to a decade long standard?

Doesn't seem plausible to me. Sounds like more going on and performance (over 6) is the public statement.

In the end, it doesn't matter though. Enroth's money is guaranteed and they want to go in another direction for whatever reason. It's their perrogative and the player will get his money.

So be it.

0.900 is not a good benchmark.

You want 0.915-0.920 out of your backup.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
But it isn't just 4 games. It's 4 games plus 2 1/2 months of viewing him in practice on a near daily basis.

Lets look at this way.

If the new backup goalie comes in a wins a single game that would already be an improvement on what we had. So nothing to lose here and everything to gain.

The age of tiny goalie is over, much like the designated goon/fighter in the new NHL. Advanced stats would support bigger is better when it comes to goalies as the reason is too obvious in that the more surface area and net a goalie occupies the better the odds at blocking a puck from entering the net.

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
Its a little sad but i'd love someone to pay me 750k to lose 4 games

I'm sure he'll be fine, but as someone said he's cost us 4 points, that would've put us right in the mix of the wildcard spot right now

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
pure politics..you dont evaluate a backup after 4 games especially on a rebuilding team.

you guys really fell for that organziational nonsense?

ramo is most likely ready and its his job now so enroth got the short end of it.

also babcocks system doesnt favour short goales enroth wasnt a match
Um..... k.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Hopefully LA or someone picks him up and clears a roster spot. I think this then means Holland gets traded as I heard teams want to trade player for player but Toronto wants a roster spot. Hopefully this gives them the roster spot they wanted.

Don't sign Ramo - go with the Marlies goalies and see if anyone is up to a backup spot for next year, a sort of play the kids thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad