Ending the Goalie Graveyard: Luongo Support Campaign

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I hated the trade but I'll be 100% in his corner and rooting for him to succeed if he decides to stay. Have always liked him as a person and he's always terrific in the regular season. I'm just not crazy about his inconsistency when it comes to the playoffs. He can be the best player on the ice one game, and then the worst the next one.

I do hope he stays though, otherwise we're royally eff'd.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
So Gillis had a good chat with Luu on the phone and is going to see him in Florida in a couple of weeks. It looks like everyone threw a fit for nothing. I am glad I didn't make a big deal out of this and I guess we did get the best deal from NJ that we know of now. The Edmonton deal was not true I KNEW GILLIS MADE A GOOD MOVE!!!! well the best he could but it would have been nice to push for a 2nd or 3rd round if possible.

Where are you hearing this? Gillis and Luongo had a good talk and Luongo is now cool with staying in Vancouver?

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I hated the trade but I'll be 100% in his corner and rooting for him to succeed if he decides to stay. Have always liked him as a person and he's always terrific in the regular season. I'm just not crazy about his inconsistency when it comes to the playoffs. He can be the best player on the ice one game, and then the worst the next one.

I do hope he stays though, otherwise we're royally eff'd.

He seemed to have these moments when the rest of the team is playing like ****. Can't think of a playoff game where we were playing well and he **** the bed. I would hope Torts is more willing to give him the hook when he's having an 'off night' - unlike AV.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
So Gillis had a good chat with Luu on the phone and is going to see him in Florida in a couple of weeks. It looks like everyone threw a fit for nothing. I am glad I didn't make a big deal out of this and I guess we did get the best deal from NJ that we know of now. The Edmonton deal was not true I KNEW GILLIS MADE A GOOD MOVE!!!! well the best he could but it would have been nice to push for a 2nd or 3rd round if possible.

And?

That tells us nothing really.

So if they had a good phone conversation (if even true) why does Gillis need to go see him?

So essentially things aren't completely resolved... and in two weeks which of the goalie UFA's do you expect to still be around?

I think Lou stays... but what if he doesn't? Gillis goes and sees him in two weeks and Lou asks for some time to think about his "options"... then what?

Some people were shot down here pretty quick for saying this yesterday but I'll reiterate... I can't believe Gillis went ahead and made this move without discussing the possiblity of it happening with Luongo... and gauging his reaction.

Rocky-

Aug 2, 2005

I wouldn't call it A GOOD MOVE!!!!
As to Luongo I don't blame him. As to whether he will report or not and his mindset is questionable. I don't see a return to everything's great again but we'll see.
As to Gillis he bungled this BIG TIME!!!! Ownership too.
We'll hope Luongo comes back and plays well.
The fan base is definitely fractured and that isn't good for the team.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I listened to that interview. Gillis did not say Luongo was cool staying in Vancouver. I got the impression Luongo is pissed actually.

I might have misheard or you might have I will go listen to it again.

EDIT:

B-Mac: How is Roberto?

Gillis: he is good, we had a good chat on the call.

Now we all know he was in shock and all we do is just assume how he feels. I think once we all see Roberto on a interview we will know how he actually feels about it which won't be for a couple weeks probably, if not pretty soon.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Yeah it doesn't sound like Luongo is cool with it but he might be understanding about it, I get from it that Luongo is disappointed about not being moved. Luongo has talked to and met with Torts, the owners and now Gillis on his way to see him so that says something.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Yeah it doesn't sound like Luongo is cool with it but he might be understanding about it, I get from it that Luongo is disappointed about not being moved. Luongo has talked to and met with Torts, the owners and now Gillis on his way to see him so that says something.

Yes it does mean something but still its the manly thing to do and go talk to him face to face instead of being a coward doing it over the phone or skype etc. Anyways I don't think we will get a real idea until we actually hear from Roberto preferably a interview with camera so we can get a idea how he feels (Emotion, how he talks, body language)

Rocky-

Aug 2, 2005
I think best case scenerio is Luongo comes back and plays next 5 years here and is content- and fans are reasonable.
Owner and Gillis going to Florida to try and mend fences which are in bad shape. In no way do I blame Luongo here.
I think Gillis should be fired- mainly over this but as well just overall. I think he may last another 2 years but I've been wrong before.
I don't mind the players drafted- probably Gillis best by far to date but I think we'll be in a fight to just make the playoffs next year.
Personally I think a buyout would have been better although not great but we still have a mess otherwise and lose the better goalie. Also we will have cap issues for years after Luongo retires as I understand it. That and a goalie who really does want to move on.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
He can either show up or retire.

Pro's to showing up:

- gets to play NHL hockey
- makes 6.75 million dollars

Pro's to retiring:

- can stay at home

Oh and the fans will support him 100%. did you hear the reactions he got at the end of last season?

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
He seemed to have these moments when the rest of the team is playing like ****. Can't think of a playoff game where we were playing well and he **** the bed. I would hope Torts is more willing to give him the hook when he's having an 'off night' - unlike AV.

Game 6 Boston and Game 6 Chicago immediately jump to mind for me. If we get decent goaltending we have an excellent chance at winning the game. That Boston game really soured me to be honest. The team that scored first won every game of that series I believe, not letting in the first goal was crucial. Luongo let in three bad goals and we were never given a chance to win.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Game 6 Boston and Game 6 Chicago immediately jump to mind for me. If we get decent goaltending we have an excellent chance at winning the game. That Boston game really soured me to be honest. The team that scored first won every game of that series I believe, not letting in the first goal was crucial. Luongo let in three bad goals and we were never given a chance to win.

Yep, even as a Luongo supporter those games were inexcusable. People will make their excuses to defend him but it was terrible goaltending.

Rocky-

Aug 2, 2005
I will say this- if someone gave me 6 mill a year to play I'd suck it up and play too- especially when I get 4 plus months vacation.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Yep, even as a Luongo supporter those games were inexcusable. People will make their excuses to defend him but it was terrible goaltending.

True, but I just think Luongo was having a psychological battle and dealing with a lot of pressure. But anyways hopefully he can start off 2013/2014 with many positives and can play really well for a long time.

Rocky-

Aug 2, 2005
Bottom line- if I'm Luongo I suck it up and come back and play as a professional. He will be fine talent wise and play as well as he can- I have no doubt. His feelings to management will likely be cool as in "not too thrilled" though. I suspect if he's here in 2018 he will say goodbye I'm outa here. I would. Going to be different though.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
At least Luongo can continue to hold multiple canucks record......

if you hate Luongo please burn your jesery and go cheer for a new team......we don't need haters here!

-TYC-

Jun 25, 2007
Strombone ‏@strombone1 15m

Congrats to the @NHLDevils , can't think of a better person or player to replace a hall of famer!

have to agree with Lu here.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Luongo being classy...

@strombone1: Congrats to the @NHLDevils , can't think of a better person or player to replace a hall of famer!

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
Here is a treat!

I always youtube this video when I want to see Lou doing work. 50% of the time I'm ecstatic, the other 50% of the time I'm yelling at the uploader for the volume level.

EDIT:

Lou is a class act.

The first thing I thought when I heard the news of the Schneider trade was how ironic it was that Schneider took the job from arguable the 2nd best starter of the decade, only to be traded to play behind the best starter of the decade.

If all else fails Cory himself has to admit, he's had some great goalies to be mentored by.

McLlwain

Trevor Forever
Jun 9, 2005
Cologne/Germany
And?

That tells us nothing really.

So if they had a good phone conversation (if even true) why does Gillis need to go see him?

So essentially things aren't completely resolved... and in two weeks which of the goalie UFA's do you expect to still be around?

I think Lou stays... but what if he doesn't? Gillis goes and sees him in two weeks and Lou asks for some time to think about his "options"... then what?

Some people were shot down here pretty quick for saying this yesterday but I'll reiterate... I can't believe Gillis went ahead and made this move without discussing the possiblity of it happening with Luongo... and gauging his reaction.
If Gillis has to sign a UFA goalie, then why take the trip to Florida at all?
If there's still a questionmark behind Luongo's return to Vancouver, you'd think Gillis would take that trip to Florida way earlier to clear the air in time for UFA move.

I take this as good sign - as expected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad