Ending the Goalie Graveyard: Luongo Support Campaign

Ruston*

When Luongo retires, only then will he be appreciated.

And when Schneider is selected to a pair of post-season all-star squads, leads the US to Olympic gold and wins three consecutive rounds in the playoffs, let me know.

A damn shame that ALL of you don't realize how good he still is.

Like Lundqvist in NY, Torts will see to it that Luongo gets help at both ends of the ice.

I won't be shocked if he is a strong Vezina contender this coming season, but, sadly, those of you still sore over 2011 will feign shock.

Spoiled fans.

Conversely, I can't wait until the always candid Torts lays into those who are the real problem, something AV was always too timid to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Anyway, the whole Goalie Graveyard thing is a myth created by Brian Burke in an attempt to deflect criticism from himself for his failure to adequately fill the position.

So long as they deliver, Vancouver supports its goalies.

Until they have a bad game. Then they can do no right. Every goal let in, somehow always comes back to the goaltender not being in position, or the goaltender's 'mental fortitude'.

Completely OT from this comment. Couldn't help but notice mrmyheadhurts pointed out the team that scored the first goal won every game in the Boston series. All horrendousness aside (referring to the performance in game 6), I'll go even further than saying Luongo needed to keep the Bruins completely at bay through the first two periods - (Canucks scored 1 goal in the entire series before the 3rd period) and say Luongo probably would have needed to post a third 1-0 shutout to win us that 16th game. Sadly, the fate of a Cup does not rest entire on a goaltender.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Ultimately this has nothing to do with right and wrong. Obviously Luongo signed a 12 year contract with the Canucks and he's required to fulfill it at their pleasure. I don't think anyone's debating that. However, it doesn't take a genius to realize that effectively forcing a player to remain in a situation he's not comfortable with could turn out to be a terrible idea for everyone involved. If Luongo sticks it out for the long haul while his mind is elsewhere, this could get ugly.

Yeah he handled last year pretty well, but that was clearly on the basis that he'd be moved by the trade deadline or the offseason at the latest. How is he going to handle the prospect of playing the rest of his career in Vancouver? Hopefully he'll be OK with it, but I'm skeptical. And if he's not, this "like it or lump it" attitude some people seem to be expressing isn't really conducive to getting the best out of an athlete and could make an already bad contract an absolute nightmare.

The whole like it or lump attitude is irrelevant. Its not an issue of feeling sorry for Lu etc

Its about how the club is being managed.

I don't care how Lu feels beyond the fact that nothing can be more caustic to a dressing room than a guy who feels wronged and doesn't want to be here. Period.

Rocky-

Aug 2, 2005
So Gillis had a good chat with Luu on the phone and is going to see him in Florida in a couple of weeks. It looks like everyone threw a fit for nothing. I am glad I didn't make a big deal out of this and I guess we did get the best deal from NJ that we know of now. The Edmonton deal was not true I KNEW GILLIS MADE A GOOD MOVE!!!! well the best he could but it would have been nice to push for a 2nd or 3rd round if possible.

looks like Luongo isn't so happy after all. Luongo has been really good through this last year. We may be back to looking for a goalie soon. An unhappy Luongo is not going to bring long term stability and a demand that he play or else does no one any good.

freakydave

Feb 10, 2004
otp.phpbbweb.com
Anyway, the whole Goalie Graveyard thing is a myth created by Brian Burke in an attempt to deflect criticism from himself for his failure to adequately fill the position.

So long as they deliver, Vancouver supports its goalies.

+1
Vancouver is not & never was a goalie graveyard.

There have been in the past GM's that could not recognize or sign goalie talent.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
He better pull a Tim Thomas or things could get ugly quickly. Good thing Torts' system is decent at keeping the quality scoring chances to a minimum.

freakydave

Feb 10, 2004
otp.phpbbweb.com
The whole like it or lump attitude is irrelevant. Its not an issue of feeling sorry for Lu etc

Its about how the club is being managed.

I don't care how Lu feels beyond the fact that nothing can be more caustic to a dressing room than a guy who feels wronged and doesn't want to be here. Period.
Now that Schneider has been dealt why wouldn't luongo want to be here?
He's getting paid more money than any other franchise would pay him--evidenced by the fact he can't be traded. Really this is the only franchise that wants him -if he's disgruntled he's not the consummate pro his fanboys make him out to be-

skywarp75

May 19, 2009
this fanbase is too disgusting to support its future HOF goalie that carried the franchise for half a decade.

YouCantYandleThis*

Now that Schneider has been dealt why wouldn't luongo want to be here?
He's getting paid more money than any other franchise would pay him--evidenced by the fact he can't be traded. Really this is the only franchise that wants him -if he's disgruntled he's not the consummate pro his fanboys make him out to be-

You're in the wrong thread.

Check the NJ Devils boards, you'll feel more at home probably.

Tanevian*

this fanbase is too disgusting to support its future HOF goalie that carried the franchise for half a decade.

First off, I'd bet Lu has a long way to go before he is a "future HHOF goalie". But that aside, the worst fans are the ones that spend their time complaining about how the other fans aren't doing it right. Or were you included in disgusting group?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
First off, I'd bet Lu has a long way to go before he is a "future HHOF goalie". But that aside, the worst fans are the ones that spend their time complaining about how the other fans aren't doing it right. Or were you included in disgusting group?

Depends on how things are looked at. He has some of the best career numbers ever seen.

He is 17th in career wins...60 more wins puts him top 10. 100 more puts him top 5 all time. In the top 70 wins of all time group not one has a career SV% better than Luongo. He will likely be top 10 (or higher) for career shutouts. He has had international success at all levels of play.

He lacks one thing and that is a major trophy of some kind. Winning such a trophy would essentially make him a lock for the hall of fame. So as it stands I wouldn't say he has a long way to go as a pretty good argument could already be made for his inclusion.

He is quite simply one of the best goaltenders to ever play the game.

I'll also go out on a limb and say that if he suits up as a canuck, makes it his mission to prove everyone wrong, and has a wonderful season he will be all but a lock for the Vezina. With everything that has gone on, a great season is going to have a lot of GMs in the league giving him that pat on the back.

Last edited:

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site

Personally I'm a fan of the Vancouver Canucks and have been since the 80s. There is no one player I place higher than the team. Not Luongo, not anyone else. Perform, do your job, or find a different jersey. That's how successful organizations are run.

skywarp75

May 19, 2009
Depends on how things are looked at. He has some of the best career numbers ever seen.

He is 17th in career wins...60 more wins puts him top 10. 100 more puts him top 5 all time. In the top 70 wins of all time group not one has a career SV% better than Luongo. He will likely be top 10 (or higher) for career shutouts. He has had international success at all levels of play.

He lacks one thing and that is a major trophy of some kind. Winning such a trophy would essentially make him a lock for the hall of fame. So as it stands I wouldn't say he has a long way to go as a pretty good argument could already be made for his inclusion.

He is quite simply one of the best goaltenders to ever play the game.

I'll also go out on a limb and say that if he suits up as a canuck, makes it his mission to prove everyone wrong, and has a wonderful season he will be all but a lock for the Vezina. With everything that has gone on, a great season is going to have a lot of GMs in the league giving him that pat on the back.

haters really don't get how good he has been and still is. like you said, 4 more 25win seasons and he's top 5 alltime. he also has the 2nd highest sv% alltime for a goalie who's played 700+ games. the guy who's .02 higher? Hasek.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

this is exactly why vancouver is a goalie graveyard.

gobi

Feb 9, 2006
Paradise, BC
Many of Luongo's supporters keep bringing up how good he is and he is a future hof. I just don't see it. He cracked in the games that matter most and often gets outplayed by the other goalie. I just don't understand the love here. If he is such an elite goalie with a proven playoff record, I think it's very probable he'd be traded by now despite his contract.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
Many of Luongo's supporters keep bringing up how good he is and he is a future hof. I just don't see it. He cracked in the games that matter most and often gets outplayed by the other goalie. I just don't understand the love here. If he is such an elite goalie with a proven playoff record, I think it's very probable he'd be traded by now despite his contract.

maybe you should re read the title...it clearly states "Luongo Support Campaign" :naughty: so you would expect supporters around here :p:

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
this is exactly why vancouver is a goalie graveyard.

Vancouver has never been a goalie graveyard - this term is a myth which was created by Brian Burke to justify his ineptitude in finding a serviceable starter.

Vancouver has had the most stability in net compared to almost every other team in the league.

Luongo - starter for 6 years, McLean starter for what - 8 years?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

He is top 35 in all time playoff wins. His career playoff SV% is 27th.

He isn't Brodeur or Roy but those guys are 100% sure fire HOFers, though they (a) had there fair share of stinkers in the playoffs...including the big games and (b) were lucky enough to play on exceptional teams at the beginning of their careers. If Luongo isn't stuck in Islander and Panther purgatory for the first half of his career he is top 20 perhaps top 15 in all time playoff wins.

IMO people could put together a reasonably decent argument for Curtis Joseph and Luongo is and has been better throughout his career overall (people remember the great series Joseph would have but tend to forget he's follow that first round up with a poor second round). Certainly not saying Luongo is a lock for the HOF or anything because (1) his career isn't done yet. he could thrive or fizzle the remaining years of his career and (2) because he doesn't have that major trophy. He gets that trophy (or perhaps even another gold medal in the Olympics as starter) and he will be in with very, very few naysayers.

He has a pretty good resume beyond numbers:

4 all-star games
2 time NHL all-star team
A Jennings
Most regular season OT wins all time.

World junior best goalie
World junior allstar team
two time World Championship gold medal
World cup gold (though not the starter)
Olympic gold

btw... in a perfect world I would have kept Schneider and moved Luongo. Given the hand that was actually dealt I think they very little choice but to move Schneider. I think several GMs will be kicking themselves this time next year after Luongo has a great season (because that is what he does...play great.) and they still have goaltending issues that killed them.

Last edited:

gobi

Feb 9, 2006
Paradise, BC
@tantalum: Fair enough. Glad you replied without flaming me. Seems like any criticisms about Luongo are met with immediate flames.

But regarding your last statement, I don't quite agree with. Many are constantly saying how x and y teams will be kicking themselves next year, etc etc since last year. I heard how Toronto will regret not trading for Luongo at the deadline but they seemed to do alright in the playoffs (better than the Canucks anyway). Unless Luongo wins that trophy, I doubt other teams would want him (even next year).

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
@tantalum: Fair enough. Glad you replied without flaming me. Seems like any criticisms about Luongo are met with immediate flames.

But regarding your last statement, I don't quite agree with. Many are constantly saying how x and y teams will be kicking themselves next year, etc etc since last year. I heard how Toronto will regret not trading for Luongo at the deadline but they seemed to do alright in the playoffs (better than the Canucks anyway). Unless Luongo wins that trophy, I doubt other teams would want him (even next year).

As bad as Luongo's meltdowns has been - he's never surrendered a three goal lead with 10 minutes left in a playoff game to my knowledge.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Why?
I've been a Canucks fan since 1975 & I've never been a fan of any other franchise.

Personally I'm a fan of the Vancouver Canucks and have been since the 80s. There is no one player I place higher than the team. Not Luongo, not anyone else. Perform, do your job, or find a different jersey. That's how successful organizations are run.

I feel the need to qualify this with the fact that doesn't make you any more or less correct with your opinions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->