Ending the Goalie Graveyard: Luongo Support Campaign

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I heard how Toronto will regret not trading for Luongo at the deadline but they seemed to do alright in the playoffs (better than the Canucks anyway). Unless Luongo wins that trophy, I doubt other teams would want him (even next year).

Toronto..Carlyle all but said the goaltending was the issue. They then went out and acquired another goaltender most expect to be the starter.

If they aren't kicking themselves they should be. And I think they are with the acquisition of Bernier. Nonis perhaps learned something then he stood pat after the canucks made the playoffs under his watch. he failed to address the weaknesses and it killed the team the next year. He doesn't seem to be willing to make that same mistake (though Bernier is far from being proven and it may prove to be a disaster). That isn't to say that Luongo would have been their answer this year, but the critics pointed to Reimer as being an issue and he was. Reimer either lets in 2 or less or 4 or more. He doesn't have average games which hurts. He's good or he's bad. Also rarely is he carrying his team.

Tanevian*

this is exactly why vancouver is a goalie graveyard.

What is exactly why? What the hell does that even mean? Go look at the list of HHOF goalies in the modern era. Cups. Awards. Stats are fun and all, but GAA, SV% and wins are up ALL AROUND with the current game. I am all for Lu getting in, but he is not a future HHOF until he has put up the numbers. For now he is a potential hhof.

A graveyard is a place you TAKE dead people. You do not go there to die.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
What is exactly why? What the hell does that even mean? Go look at the list of HHOF goalies in the modern era. Cups. Awards. Stats are fun and all, but GAA, SV% and wins are up ALL AROUND with the current game. I am all for Lu getting in, but he is not a future HHOF until he has put up the numbers. For now he is a potential hhof.

A graveyard is a place you TAKE dead people. You do not go there to die.

Goalie retirement home just doesn't have the same ring to it.

sithoutcast

Jul 31, 2007
For the 1st game of the season we should all cheer Louuuuuuuu! for the 1st minute after the puck is dropped. He loves it we love it and he can know how happy we are to have him back. I also think the Canucks should have a he's back campaign.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Reminds me of one of our goalies.

(Both, if we count the playoffs!)

Well the past two regular seasons Reimer has let in 4 or more in something like 35% of his games. Luongo the past two season we're talking 10 in 75 games or something (13%). That was a quick count so it might be off by a bit....also didn't delve into starts versus relief etc. 30-35% of your games letting in 4 or more ought to put a guy out of work in a hurry if it continues.

In the playoffs this year Luongo never let in 4. The year before he did in one game. The cup run he had 4 games the first 20 then the wheels fell of in Boston (reimer had 3 4 or more goal games in the first round this year). Tim Thomas, by the way, had 5 games where he let in 4 or more during the cup year and the Tampa series for him was like Luongo's Boston series. But they ended up winning that series (when the refs decided not to call any infraction in game 7 and neutered the Bolts) so everyone glosses over it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad