Ending the Goalie Graveyard: Luongo Support Campaign

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
This task is going to be next to impossible..

It's going to be a tough job to get Lu to be fully engaged in this team again, when they have essentially taken away his job and are now trying to sell it back to him

Kip96

Feb 8, 2010
West Coast

It's going to be a tough job to get Lu to be fully engaged in this team again, when they have essentially taken away his job and are now trying to sell it back to him

Why? If Luongo is the professional he pretends to be then he should be fine

They traded Cory "The real deal" Schneider to keep him. He should be flattered

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
The Lu "hate" was always overblown. He's received criticism, some fair some not, like every player on our team. I think his loyal following is a little too sensitive to the criticism. Lu has been too.

The Luuuuuu chant has been going on since the guy got here. I watched him win an Olympic gold here and get Luuuuuuuuu'd all the way to it. He's also my guess as the most popular jersey seen around town. Any notion that this guy hasn't had it great here is crazy.

Lu is a great goalie. A lot of the criticism's against him were around the 2010 season when his game did fall off. Sure, he won a gold medal, but he didn't have a very good year or playoff. His game needed work. To his credit he's put the work in and got back to being great.

It wasn't hate... it was true.

I cheer for the Canucks, I'm behind Lu.

Well said, like him, just cannot stand his overly sensitive and obsessive fan base with him.

I am not even expecting out of this world stats and I hope this idea that it falls onto our goal tenders disappears a bit, you do need good goal tending but lets face it, we relied on cory and roberto way to much at times, a reasonable 918%-920% SV% I will be happy with him and he will have did his job. It will be up to the rest of the team to do the rest.

Last edited:

YouCantYandleThis*

Well said, like him, just cannot stand his overly sensitive and obsessive fan base with him.

I am not even expecting out of this world stats and I hope this idea that it falls onto our goal tenders disappears a bit, you do need good goal tending but lets face it, we relied on cory and roberto way to much at times, a reasonable 918%-920% SV% I will be happy with him and he will have did his job. It will be up to the rest of the team to do the rest.

In fairness to the "overly sensitive and obsessive fan base" of his (not sure what that makes the rest of you), they've spent the past 2/3 years endlessly defending the guy against fans of the Canucks and every other team alike. Defending him from accusations such as, he single handedly lost us a cup, or that he's a washed up goaltender who doesn't have it anymore. We saw these opinions much, much too often.

Thats's why they seem overly sensitive and obsessive to you. It get's tiring defending a player on your team to both your own fanbase and every other one.

I think the best thing about this whole situation, is Cory Schneider's save percentage is NOT going to hover around .930 for his career. No one's ever has. That would make him by a good way the best goalie ever to play the game.

Expect Schneids stats to fall back to earth as he has a few full seasons, with full responsibilities.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I can easily get behind this. Always been a big fan of his, always will be.

On a side note that is also semi positive, now we can see if we can get more Lui threads than Glendale threads!

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Can't wait. Tortz protect Lu like crazy and blast the media when they get on his case. Let's go!

luongo321 lives on. :laugh:

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Ugh. I've been firmly in camp Schneider and enjoyed watching him develop into a bonafide #1 over the years. Can't get on board with this at this time, especially given the season Lu just had. He's more than welcome to make me eat crow this upcoming season though.

NuckleTort

Nov 28, 2011
I got what I wanted....just not how I wanted it. That ok. After all, it's not actually about me :laugh:

As much as I liked Lu before this whole fiasco, I came to really love the guy.
He's been through the wringer and kept smiling the whole time (publicly, at least)

I have no doubt that he may be in a dark place right now, given how the last 14 months have gone. Hopefully, the fence can be mended and we can have the most accomplished goalie in franchise history back where he belongs.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
It's a tough position Lu finds himself in now. But he's also a pro and the reality was that his contract made him unmovable. If he wants to play it's going to have to be for the Canucks. I have faith that once he's on the ice he's going to be doing everything he can to win.

Tanevian*

Well, you could all start with this from our friend thepuckmonster.

v1hLlC4.gif

Hal 9000*

Maybe Luongo should go with a zombie motif for his next mask.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011

If he comes back, he'll have no problem competing. That's just what Lu does. Hell, he could be playing hockey with a bunch of little kids and you know he'd still be pissed off if he let in a goal. It's his competitive fire and desire to prove everyone wrong that fuels Lu even after all of the punishment he has taken. It's just the way he is. I guarantee that if Lu/schneider had the roles reversed that Schneider would tell the Canucks to go to hell. :laugh:

It will be so sick if Lu wins another gold medal in Sochi. :handclap:

Lundface*

He used to be my favorite player, loved the guy in a big way. I haven't cared about a Canucks player like that since Bure and now the Twins (People don't fully understand how amazing these two humans are yet but that's for another time).

It's too bad he injured his groin in Pitt and has somewhat proven to buckle under pressure. I really liked Cory, was my next fav Canuck after the twins and I wish him all the best and hope he actually wins some awards :)

That said I will fully support Luongo again. Yeah he's a mental midget but he's our mental midget and he is one of the best players to ever put on a Canucks sweater. Hopefully he trains hard over the summer and comes in looking to prove every team wrong. If no team in the entire league would trade for me, I sure as hell know I'd work my tail off to prove them all wrong.

Good luck Luongo, maybe the coaching change will do wonders for him.

beamer67

Nov 22, 2009
Leaf fan living out west. Lou will play his best because he is a class act, but don't think for a minute he won't forget: that stuff just doesn't go away. Gillis messed up big time with Lou and he will take it personally. With the fans that's a different story. Most players understand that fans are fickle and they change their opinions as the fortunes of the team changes. A couple of great games and all is forgiven till the next supposed disaster. I am not sure how all this will pan out but imho Lou won't be 100% happy till either Gillis or himself are gone.

RealGudbranson

Jun 19, 2008
I don't know where to put this, but it seems that we aren't excited enough about Jaocim Eriksson.

I was perusing Swedish Netminder stats to see who posted a similarly ridiculous .935, .936 as our shiny new Jaocim did at the ages 21 and 22. Who had similar stats you ask?

Markstrom, Lundqvist, and Lehner.

Now, I'm not saying that Jaocim is going to turn out to be any of those players (Markstrom posted the stats a year younger than Jaocim, Lehner developed in NA, and Lundqvist played in a different era of the SEL), but can't we be just a *bit* excited about this 23 year old?

Canuckz

Jul 8, 2012
My thoughts are,

Lu may look at this as a chance of redemption. He realizes and accepts the position he is in and continues to be the consummate professional he's always been. He accepts this is just business and I have a job to do and getting paid obscene amounts of cash to do it.

He sees this as a chance to work under a different coach, the latter for the most part praising him in pressers, then throwing him under the bus when he's having an off game. Boston series comes to mind.

This could be a perfect storm. Lu has changed his whole attitude, is more laid back and relaxed. Did great for us in the playoffs this year when called upon etc.

Tim Thomas seemed to get better with age, no reason why Lu isn't on that same track. He is extremely competitive and I'm sure wants to prove all the doubters, bashers wrong.

I'm onboard

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
The goalie graveyard is in Phily. We have an elite goal tender in the prime of his career and a couple of solid prospects competing to back him up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad