Post-Game Talk: End of the Season Press Conference + Exit Interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Benning has such a terrible strategy and continues to stay adamant about it. He continues with the "try to make the playoffs year after year to give us a chance" mentality. I do not want to be like SJS team where year after year they make the playoffs but are not good enough to win. We really need to take a step back to take 2 steps forwards and that starts with getting rid of those shit contracts of signing those 30 year old+ "veterans".

Those SJS teams were capable of winning cups. They didn’t.

Last edited:

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
This is the type of stuff that drives me absolutely crazy about this Fanbase sometimes, and the "hate" of Jim Benning.
I am not a fan of Jimbo, never was, never will be.
But if you think a random comment on Virtanen not being that good in the playoffs actually hurts a players value, then that is comical.
This is a billion dollar league, Millions of dollars for scouting staffs/coaches/and all the personnel that work for these organizations.

Do you honestly think nobody in those org's watched virtanen play in the playoffs.
Do people actually think comments that jim made, even 1% lowered the value virtanen even in the slightest.

Like give me a break here, Jim being honest here does absolutely nothing.
Instead he should be probably praised for being transparent and honest, it's a nice change of pace considering the past.

Just crazy to me.

Thank you.

You more or less echoed my sentiments. Some people act like all the GMs and executives huddle around twitter and gossip like school girls.

And that quote was even taken out of context to boot. The full quote comes across almost like a dad lightly scolding his son. Aka, it's not a big deal. Just click bait nonsense.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
What a world to live in where your team recognizes the fact they need to rebuild and uses the cap to their advantage - acquiring futures in exchange for bad contracts. Canucks never did that once.
Wait . . . cap space . . . matters???

Reactions: geebaan

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
No.

You talk about priorities, Toffoli is not a priority on this team. This team needs to clear out top salary and get better d-men. Toffoli is a luxury that a contending team signs. We are not that team.

I think this idea we need to improve our defensemen is way off. We have zero shut-down forwards.

A defensive third line center, and winger. Give me Jannick Hansen and a shut down third line center well before getting any more d-men.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I think this idea we need to improve our defensemen is way off. We have zero shut-down forwards.

A defensive third line center, and winger. Give me Jannick Hansen and a shut down third line center well before getting any more d-men.
Well our only 'shut-down' D are both over 30 years old and not exactly known to be able to play the complete season without getting injured. We can score goals. But other than the goalie, we have a problem preventing them from being scored against us.

Eriksson is a great shut-down forward (though he shuts down the offense on whatever line he's on :naughty:).

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
You don’t think a teams own assessment of a player means anything in terms of his value? Basic business....you talk up your assets not down. Even if it causes just one team to reassess or think twice then it’s doing damage.

why bother making the comment at all? It’s dumb.
If you think talking up virtanen is going to change his overall value, than I dono what to say really:laugh:
This is not a sells pitch for a new pair of forks, it's a hockey player who people have been staring at for years.
And months in a bubble.

Reactions: Levch and sting101

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Any time a player is “on the block” it’s up to the GM to create a market. It doesn’t just happen by sitting by and doing nothing. Creating that market involves emphasizing a players strengths, acknowledging but not dwelling on the negatives (every player is flawed in some way), in order to get a swell of interest. The key is to get other GMs thinking that they are going to miss out if they don’t act.
Conversely, dwelling on a player’s flaws will cause other GMs to hesitate....”maybe I don’t want to take the risk”. This is basic human nature.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
If you think talking up virtanen is going to change his overall value, than I dono what to say really:laugh:
This is not a sells pitch for a new pair of forks, it's a hockey player who people have been staring at for years.
And months in a bubble.
This is truth. The only thing you can do is talk up their potential and teams can get lost in a players "potential".

If someone called about Jake knowing he's on the outs and was disappointing my reply would be "listen...we've developed this kid he has the potential to score 30, he scored 20 this year, he hits like a truck and can fly. We don't want to move him but he has too many influences in this town that drag his focus away from the rink. I'm not giving away what your likely to get with Jakes potential without a decent offer"

I 100% agree with what your saying and it would be patronizing to other GMs to suggest he is something he has not been but as a salesman you have to sell the dream not the reality.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Amongst defensive centers, the best asset in UFA is NJ's Kevin Rooney, who is a high-end 4th line center/PK ace (NJ was the 26th ranked team with the #7 PK despite not very good goaltending) who will cost next to nothing because he has no reputation or pedigree whatsoever. If you could get someone to take the corpse of Jay Beagle off of us, he'd be the perfect replacement.

However, I don't think this management group has the slightest inkling of a notion that moving Beagle/Roussel/Sutter types is a good idea, and believes those bad players were huge parts of our success in the last month.

There aren't really a lot of pure #3 centers in the UFA pool. There are a few interesting wingers who probably wouldn't cost much. Zemgis Gergensons is an interesting guy - young UFA who created terrific results from tough minutes on a bad team last year.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Any time a player is “on the block” it’s up to the GM to create a market. It doesn’t just happen by sitting by and doing nothing. Creating that market involves emphasizing a players strengths, acknowledging but not dwelling on the negatives (every player is flawed in some way), in order to get a swell of interest. The key is to get other GMs thinking that they are going to miss out if they don’t act.
Conversely, dwelling on a player’s flaws will cause other GMs to hesitate....”maybe I don’t want to take the risk”. This is basic human nature.

It's mind-boggling that people don't understand this.

And it's also mind-boggling that people don't understand posturing in negotiations. Picture yourself buying a used car, and you're going to look at a car you really want and some old lady is selling it and saying 'I don't really know what it's worth, I just want it gone and out of my yard.' Are you coming in with the same offer for that car as if the seller knew exactly what's up and what they have and makes it clear they're only selling for a price that works for them?

Benning continually telegraphs exactly what he's going to do and puts a message out there that he's a sadsack rube just waiting to be taken advantage of.

And again, if this was one instance nobody would be that upset. It's the constant pattern over 6 years.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Hm, they were just 6 points ahead of 12th place, only 2 WC teams had a worse record in their last 10 and Markstrom just got injured. Without the Covid break there would have been a real possibility to end up in the Western bottom 5. All this with career years from half the roster.
You could make up that stat for the whole 'pack of teams' (Dallas,Winnipeg,Oilers,Flames).all within striking distance of each other.....Canucks had games in hand, and had won 2 out of their last 3...So who knows?
Clearly, the Canucks were a better team than the previous season..They knocked off most of the top teams at some point of the schedule.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

And it's also mind-boggling that people don't understand posturing in negotiations. Picture yourself buying a used car, and you're going to look at a car you really want and some old lady is selling it and saying 'I don't really know what it's worth, I just want it gone and out of my yard.' Are you coming in with the same offer for that car as if the seller knew exactly what's up and what they have and makes it clear they're only selling for a price that works for them?

Benning continually telegraphs exactly what he's going to do and puts a message out there that he's a sadsack rube just waiting to be taken advantage of.

And again, if this was one instance nobody would be that upset. It's the constant pattern over 6 years.

I have to admit that I was one who, for a long time, while not defending him, was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I reached a tipping point some time ago after the avalanche of examples.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
There aren't really a lot of pure #3 centers in the UFA pool. There are a few interesting wingers who probably wouldn't cost much. Zemgis Gergensons is an interesting guy - young UFA who created terrific results from tough minutes on a bad team last year.

Zemgus Girgensons, Cody Eakin, Carl Soderberg, Vlad Namestnikov, Erik Haula will all be on the market this summer...at least one of them might sign a 1-year show-me deal. Eakin in particular is the guy I'm interested in.

If you can package up some bad money going the other way, guys like Derek Stepan or Tyler Bozak might be easy to land too.

Kevin Rooney is a great option for the 4th line. So is Derek Grant (local kid IIRC). We're kinda full up on fourth liners though.

member 328930

And months in a bubble.

I just don’t agree. Sorry. I think most high level jobs involve collections of people that are very adept at understanding their product. You don’t see them going out and talking it down calling it inferior though.

like always the guy should just learn to keep his yap shut....if he can’t figure out how to articulate things as a professional would.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Hm, they were just 6 points ahead of 12th place, only 2 WC teams had a worse record in their last 10 and Markstrom just got injured. Without the Covid break there would have been a real possibility to end up in the Western bottom 5. All this with career years from half the roster.

Exactly. Iirc, Marky went on LTIR and Tanev was announced as week to week, before the League shut down that evening.

There is no doubt that with the team collapsing, losing to OTT, and blowing leads to TOR and Columbus, Marky and Tanev out, the Canucks were not making playoffs playing 82 games.

Go pack to the Eddy Punch Clock injury thread for the posts in early March and there simply isn't any doubt.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

the problem isn't just that he's not a good negotiator, though obviously that is a big problem. imo the bigger problem is he's surrounded himself with other people who also aren't good negotiators. if he had a shark AGM that would give him good notes before a presser — say this about jake, don't say that — and then actually handle the negotiations with other GMs/agents/whatever, that would go a long way to either keeping myers, eriksson, sutter, and so on to reasonable deals, or not signing them at all.

but of course he fired anybody who had the audacity to say, well jim, maybe you should....

and yeah, from day one he's shown he doesn't understand how to project a second, let alone third or fourth, objective. i gotta trade kesler and he only gave me one team. what? bob murray won't give me the 10 pick? well i guess i have to make lemonade...

no, well okay i'll sit kesler until either i get the 10 pick/a good d or he expands his list. no understanding that hey anaheim might be pretty willing to back on some things because they are in their immediate window with two MVP type players at the ends of their peaks. he was full on, kesler's gotta go.

and here we are six years later and he's like, okay guys we are frustrated with jake and he's had a lot of chances. make me an offer. vs, say, he's a promising player with a lot of tools who just broke through offensively and we see room for him to improve but for the right price we would listen.

and the guy sitting next to jim once panic traded t-mac for steve francis, cuttino mobley, and a giant cap dump.

ekimbo

Sep 28, 2009
And months in a bubble.

I think you are right to a certain extent. I don't think other GMs are going to be paying much attention to Benning's comments on his on ice performance. The issue I have is how Jake has been treated relating to his off ice issues. It's pretty obvious that Jake has off ice maturity issues and the Canucks have done nothing to protect his value from that perspective. All of the issues seem to be out in the open. Anyone trading for Jake will be paying less because of his maturity issues.

I think it's best to deal with these issues internally and protect the player from public scrutiny and also the potential of devaluing him as an asset.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

This post is just another demonstration of your usual malicious hyperbole ....but whatever..

Bennings not pulling the wool over anyones eyes regarding Jake..Talking him up to the press , and coming across like a used car salesman would clearly come across as dishonest..Its all out on the ice for everyone to see..?..

Jake makes the news (off ice) every couple of months..all for the wrong reasons ..This isnt lost on anybody outside the organization.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Barrie situation is interesting. Has been talk for awhile of Barrie wanting to come back to BC and seems like the Canucks have seen him in their plans. Fits with the idea that Canucks might, even with the tax situation, have a leg up in getting discounts, like with Hamhuis, for players who off-season or have family connections here.

Last season there was talk of a trade with the Avs but then Avs got a far better offer from Toronto. I think there was a feeling the Canucks held back thinking they could wait a season and then get Barrie without losing any thing.

However, given the flat cap and the Barrie's play in Toronto (especially in his end), this strategy needs to be re-thought. Unfortunately Benning seems doggedly intent on pursuing any plan that gets cemented into his brain. This could turn out ugly.

Given the mess, the need to re-sign people and the potential for Barrie to bust harsh on some long term deal, should make anyone leery of going down this road.

There are things to like about Barrie but so much that you are willing to turn your roster upside down or prevent the acquisition of other players in the future.

On the year end talk: There seems a disconnect between what Benning is saying and the realities of the cap. Like when he says he intends to re-sign this player or that player, or maybe all players, when there simply isn't the money to do that. Likely the less Benning says the better.

this is probably totally unrealistic but i'd totally take barrie on a one year show-me deal, say, $3 million, just to have the RHS on the PP.

unfortunately that would also mean that probably one of tanev and stecher aren't coming back though...

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Except Benning didn't say or remotely imply he doesn't know Virtanen's worth. Just that he expected more from him—which is more or less the same sentiments coaches have all the time. Stevie Y was hardly subtle when Drouin started to throw a tantrum. How many people insisted if he sat on him throughout the season, it'd kill any and all value he had. Steve still waited and look what he got out of it.

All that aside, it's a bit laughable to compare selling a used car to organizations that spend millions of dollars on scouting and management. What Benning says on Twitter is primarily for fans not executives. Do you honestly think GMs, Assistant GMs, or anyone else important gives a hoot about twitter?

But lets' pretend they do. Maybe by making it look like you'll sell low, you garner more interest. Now five offers come in and you go back to each team saying, "See, we've been getting a lot more interest." Now you up sell his potential. If we're going to argument the human nature angle. Human nature is quite competitive. People don't like being outbid.

Just so we're clear. I don't particularly like Benning, but criticism like this is a reach at best. We have far better things to point towards than a twitter comment.

Reactions: sting101

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This post is just another demonstration of your usual malicious hyperbole ....but whatever..

Bennings not pulling the wool over anyones eyes regarding Jake..Talking him up to the press , and coming across like a used car salesman would clearly come across as dishonest..Its all out on the ice for everyone to see..?..

Jake makes the news very couple of months..all for the wrong reasons ..This isnt lost on anybody outside the organization.

There will be teams that will have interest in a player of his size/skating ability who produced the way he did last year and who will cost as little as he will next season.

If you telegraph that you're really down on the player and definitely moving him, you aren't getting the same offers as if you take a strong position on the player.

Again, if you're buying a used car, are you coming in with the same offer to an old lady who doesn't know what it's worth and just wants it off her lawn as you are with a guy who knows what's up and what it's worth and makes it clear he's only selling for fair value and otherwise keeping it?

Reactions: geebaan

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Except Benning didn't say or remotely imply he doesn't know Virtanen's worth. Just that he expected more from him—which is more or less the same sentiments coaches have all the time. Stevie Y was hardly subtle when Drouin started to throw a tantrum. How many people insisted if he sat on him throughout the season, it'd kill any and all value he had. Steve still waited and look what he got out of it.

All that aside, it's a bit laughable to compare selling a used car to organizations that spend millions of dollars on scouting and management. What Benning says on Twitter is primarily for fans not executives. Do you honestly think GMs, Assistant GMs, or anyone else important gives a hoot about twitter?

But lets' pretend they do. Maybe by making it look like you'll sell low, you garner more interest. Now five offers come in and you go back to each team saying, "See, we've been getting a lot more interest." Now you up sell his potential. If we're going to argument the human nature angle. Human nature is quite competitive. People don't like being outbid.

Just so we're clear. I don't particularly like Benning, but criticism like this is a reach at best. We have far better things to point towards than a twitter comment.

Jim Benning is constantly playing poker with his cards facing outward. This is the same guy who accidentally gave away a #33 pick by telling Florida 'obviously you want more than just McCann' when Florida was about to agree to a 1-for-1 swap.

The guy telegraphs everything he is about to do and sets himself up as a rube to be taken advantage of who bungles negotiations at every turn. We've seen this constantly for 6 years. Can you name a single time where he generated expected value on an asset he was selling? This isn't a one-off and there's a 6-year pattern here that is the reason people get set off by comments like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad