Post-Game Talk: End of the Season Press Conference + Exit Interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Covid helped the Canucks more than it hurt them. It hurt teams like Toronto who have tons of big long-term deals that were signed with the expectation of a rising cap. The Canucks don't have that at all.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Covid helped the Canucks more than it hurt them. It hurt teams like Toronto who have tons of big long-term deals that were signed with the expectation of a rising cap. The Canucks don't have that at all.
No team with even one 10 million dollar cap hit (or higher) has won a Cup. I hope Benning signs Petey and Hughes to bridge deals, so we don’t fall into that loser group. It’s just impossible (especially in this Covid flat cap era) to round out a roster, and compete with teams who have their top guys signed to cheaper cap hits.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
No team with even one 10 million dollar cap hit (or higher) has won a Cup. I hope Benning signs Petey and Hughes to bridge deals, so we don’t fall into that loser group. It’s just impossible (especially in this Covid flat cap era) to round out a roster, and compete with teams who have their top guys signed to cheaper cap hits.

Eh, that's just an arbitrary number based on nothing. Ovechkin and Malkin were both close to 10 and won recently. Whether EP makes 9.8 or 10.2 isn't going to be the difference in the Canucks winning a cup.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Eh, that's just an arbitrary number based on nothing. Ovechkin and Malkin were both close to 10 and won recently. Whether EP makes 9.8 or 10.2 isn't going to be the difference in the Canucks winning a cup.
It will, especially with a flat cap era. Benning said during his recent (exit) interviews that the cap will be flat fir two years. He doesn’t know that for sure. It could be flat fir the term of the new CBA. If Benning signs Petey to a hedge contract (expecting the cap to go up and cover the value in the later years) he could be wrecking our chances. Again no team, with a 10 million dollar cap hit contract has won a Cup.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Lots of teams have won the cup with contracts that pro rate to $10m under the current cap.

That said, I agree on bridging the stars. Works out better for both parties (Hughes and pettersson get their big third contracts when the cap isn't depressed by a pandemic).

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Lots of teams have won the cup with contracts that pro rate to $10m under the current cap.

That said, I agree on bridging the stars. Works out better for both parties (Hughes and pettersson get their big third contracts when the cap isn't depressed by a pandemic).
But those contracts were signed with the expectation the cap was going to go up, and therefore become valued over time. Benning mentioning a two year flat cap during his interviews gets me thinking he’s going to make another stupid cap mistake.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It will, especially with a flat cap era. Benning said during his recent (exit) interviews that the cap will be flat fir two years. He doesn’t know that for sure. It could be flat fir the term of the new CBA. If Benning signs Petey to a hedge contract (expecting the cap to go up and cover the value in the later years) he could be wrecking our chances. Again no team, with a 10 million dollar cap hit contract has won a Cup.

No. Just sign guys for good value and you'll be fine. Meaningless caps like "10 million" are irrelevant.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No. Just sign guys for good value and you'll be fine. Meaningless caps like "10 million" are irrelevant.
Still no team has won a Cup with a 10 million dollar cap hit contract. It’s clearly the dividing line between giving your team a chance to win a not. Benning needs to be smart with Petey, and go with a bridge deal.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I think a bridge deal is a terrible idea for Pettersson. If you can, you lock him up now.

Pettersson on a bridge deal is still going to be something like 9m for 3 years, with the last year leading to a big qualifying offer. Get him locked up for now for 10-12m x 8, as opposed to even more after the bridge deal ends.

Reactions: Nosskire ot Elgaeb

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
If Barrie WANTS to play here, id only consider him under specific conditions

1. at a deep discount (less aav than his last contract)
2. we resign Tanev
3. we get something useful for trading away Stehers rights (or cap dump)
4. he's 29, so no more than 3 years

That would result in:
Hughes Tanev
Edler Barrie
Fant Myers
Juolevi
I could live with that

I am all for this team having more puck moving defensemen that can help get the puck out of our zone. I’m a sucker for a hometown boy coming home story - but Barrie is still likely to command at least a decent salary, and I’d rather we try and develop another puck moving defender of our own in one or both of Rathbone and Juolevi.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Good thing we've got CBA expert (cough, cough, Ryan O'Reilly offer sheet) Weisbrod on the payroll to keep Benning informed.:sarcasm:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Yeah, I am hoping $8M x 8 for both EP and Hughes. We are so screwed cap wise right now. I think we just jettison Markstrom, toffoli and Tanev. And I hope that if we do that, that JB is smart enough not to spend to the cap (very doubtful).

Every single UFA signing has been a financial disaster. Sure, thats what it costs to sign guys, but if JB had been smart during our rebuild (which never really happened) he probably could have picked up better players with ok contracts from the cash strapped teams at the trade deadline, and at the draft.

As it is we are going to have to abandon decent players because we just can't afford them. Last I saw 15 teams were in the same boat. It's going to be a buyers market this time around methinks.

Edit - and we are going to need cap room. have to allow adding Podkolzin later this year, and Tryamkin next year. Even on a fantastic front loaded contract by both EP and Hughes we are going to be in even worse trouble next season ...

Edit the Edit - Other GM's must be licking their chops looking at JB and how they are going to screw him over.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Good thing we've got CBA expert (cough, cough, Ryan O'Reilly offer sheet) Weisbrod on the payroll to keep Benning informed.:sarcasm:
Likely this whole Petey and Hughes next contract’s is no big issue, but it’s friggin’ Benning/Brod. Those two are worrisome on every level. If we had Lou Lam would I be worried about this? Of course not. :help:

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
I think a bridge deal is a terrible idea for Pettersson. If you can, you lock him up now.

Pettersson on a bridge deal is still going to be something like 9m for 3 years, with the last year leading to a big qualifying offer. Get him locked up for now for 10-12m x 8, as opposed to even more after the bridge deal ends.
This is the answer. Take care of your bigs and give them some stability.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Still no team has won a Cup with a 10 million dollar cap hit contract. It’s clearly the dividing line between giving your team a chance to win a not. Benning needs to be smart with Petey, and go with a bridge deal.

Its just a dividing line because you declared it as such. It doesnt mean that with a rising cap 10m will forever be the limit. Ovechkin had a ~9.5m cap hit when there was a 75m ceiling, that translates to 10.3m in a 81.5m cap).

Heck, the 2016 Penguins edition had almost 2 10m on the roster, with Malkin (prorated 10.8m) and Crosby (prorated 9.93m)

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

And at one point no team with. Euro captain had won the cup...

Reactions: vanuck

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Pettersson and Hughes will get paid. As long as it’s in line with other star players it shouldn’t be an issue imo. $10 million is just an arbitrary number and doesn’t really mean much imo. Hopefully we lock them up long term but financially it may be in their best interests to take shorter deals and then cash in later like the Matthews deal.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
This is very true.

What's wild to me is Toronto having 3 of these. None on D. :facepalm:

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

If you believe a 3 year bridge would cost $9M per year vs 10-12 for 8 years, I'd agree. I just think your numbers are way off.

Fact is, despite how great he's played, Pettersson has not had a season as a point per game player. 3 years is more likely somewhere around $7.5-$8M (all RFA years). 8 years should be $10.5-11M based on Eichel's contract (you will not find a closer comparable to Pettersson than Eichel).

But Pettersson would be wrong to sign that contract - he's likely better to do better for himself by taking a shorter/lower contract followed by a bigger contract when his play justifies, and the salary cap allows.

For Hughes...its tough to find a past comparable. I think we have to wait and see what Makar signs, then Hughes should get the same contract.

Reactions: Bleach Clean and m9

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I am all for this team having more puck moving defensemen that can help get the puck out of our zone. I’m a sucker for a hometown boy coming home story - but Barrie is still likely to command at least a decent salary, and I’d rather we try and develop another puck moving defender of our own in one or both of Rathbone and Juolevi.
totally agree. if he's worth 6M on the open market and his idea of a discount is 5M.. i'd still pass. he not young and we do have Hughes. He would help the 2nd PP and take minutes from Edler and Tanev...
Id want a huge discount. The number should start with a "3"

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Pettersson and Hughes should be bridged. Nonsense to give a guy so much term too early. Have to consider regression and injury is always a possibility even in prime ages. Ideally
3yrs ELC 19-22
3yr RFA Bridge 22-25
8 yr franchise player deal 25-33 or 3-5yrs for quality players.

Don't go full Toronto

Reactions: deckercky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad