Post-Game Talk: End of the Season Press Conference + Exit Interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This string is a great 3 act play:

to put it another way, when one or a few of OJ, rathbone, rafferty, woo, and maybe even tryamkin enter the lineup, who do you want them learning the fundamentals of NHL defending from? it's not edler or myers.

at the same time, which player do you want taking on way too minutes and being overextended on our right side? it's not myers or stecher.

I'm not 100% opposed to bringing Tanev back, but the terms of the deal will be crucial. He's already declining, is oft injured, and will get worse. I'd prefer to target someone younger, with upside.

I'd like to add someone young in Free agency. I feel like DeMelo is the perfect candidate.

Agreed. Demelo would be a great Tanev replacement. Young-ish, probably undervalued, and has great results next to prominent partners (Chabot, Morrissey).

Demelo would be a fine target here, but I'd be shocked if Benning had any interest.

Jim Benning targets virtually always fall into 1 of 3 groups :

1) Overpayment for overrated 'name' player (Myers, Eriksson, Sutter, Miller, etc.)

2) Overpayment for grit/toughness/Cup rings (Prust, Dorsett, Beagle, Roussel, etc.)

3) Overpayment for busting prospect that Benning/Weisbrod really liked as a teenager (Pouliot, Granlund, Baertschi, etc.)

Or some combination of the above 3. Gudbranson sorta fit all 3 categories.

Demelo is a late-round pick who had a mid-20s breakout as a high-IQ defensive defender on a bad team. Isn't big. Doesn't hit hard. No big hockey card stats. No mean streak. No Cup ring.

There has never been any player linked to the organization who fit this sort of profile. I'd be shocked if they had significant interest in this sort of under-the-radar moneypuck late bloomer.

Conversely, overpaying for a 'name' Tyson Barrie who put up great hockey card stats but would be a terrible fit here would be classic Benning.

Aaah the coup-de-grace. For all the above reasons, Benning targeting a reasonable and affordable option like Demelo is a non-starter.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Demelo would be a fine target here, but I'd be shocked if Benning had any interest.

1) Overpayment for overrated 'name' player (Myers, Eriksson, Sutter, Miller, etc.)

2) Overpayment for grit/toughness/Cup rings (Prust, Dorsett, Beagle, Roussel, etc.)

3) Overpayment for busting prospect that Benning/Weisbrod really liked as a teenager (Pouliot, Granlund, Baertschi, etc.)

Or some combination of the above 3. Gudbranson sorta fit all 3 categories.

Demelo is a late-round pick who had a mid-20s breakout as a high-IQ defensive defender on a bad team. Isn't big. Doesn't hit hard. No big hockey card stats. No mean streak. No Cup ring.

There has never been any player linked to the organization who fit this sort of profile. I'd be shocked if they had significant interest in this sort of under-the-radar moneypuck late bloomer.

Conversely, overpaying for a 'name' Tyson Barrie who put up great hockey card stats but would be a terrible fit here would be classic Benning.

There has been one - Jason Demers.

But sadly yes, probably only one.

You can also add a 4th category onto that list, and that is "players who have links to the GM/coach" like Ryan Miller, Bartkowski, Linden Vey, Etem, etc.

Reactions: mossey3535

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
There has been one - Jason Demers.

But sadly yes, probably only one.

You can also add a 4th category onto that list, and that is "players who have links to the GM/coach" like Ryan Miller, Bartkowski, Linden Vey, Etem, etc.

All those guys fall into the "Benning liked them as a prospect" category. Ditto Tyler Myers.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
The 2004-2019 Sharks were absolutely good enough to win a championship and I'd be thrilled if that's what our future team was like.

We're trending more to be the 2013-2018 Minnesota Wild.

Name one player from any those MIN teams that are as young, exciting and dynamic as Pettersson and Hughes. I hear what you're saying but we are entirely different from Minnesota.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

All those guys fall into the "Benning liked them as a prospect" category. Ditto Tyler Myers.

everybody forgets about sam gagner, who checks boxes 1, 3, 4, and 5.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
besides Marion Gabriok?

Marian Gaborik played exactly zero games for the Minnesota Wild from 2013-2018...

And even when he did play for them from 2000-2009 he surpassed 80 points in one season, 2009. He also was outscored by Petey in years 1 and 2 in the NHL, even though Gaborik did have a 17 point in 18 game WCF playoff in 2003.

My point stands...this team is nothing like the Minnesota Wild in any year(s) from 2000-2018.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Marian Gaborik played exactly zero games for the Minnesota Wild from 2013-2018...

And even when he did play for them from 2000-2009 he surpassed 80 points in one season, 2009. He also was outscored by Petey in years 1 and 2 in the NHL, even though Gaborik did have a 17 point in 18 game WCF playoff in 2003.

My point stands...this team is nothing like the Minnesota Wild in any year(s) from 2000-2018.

Sorry I got the years mixed up in that quote. Totally my fault.

having said that you are not giving Gabriok enough credit. On the right teams he would have put up amazing numbers.

but for those years I think Sutter has to be up there. He was a top 3-5 dman in the league.

Reactions: Fedz

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

:nod:

All this. Pretty much fits into all these categories, as well as that 4th category others have mentioned.

That's why I'm scared that there a lot of ex-Bruins and ex-Flames players that are available that he would love to sign. Krug, Beleskey, Soderberg...

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Sorry I got the years mixed up in that quote. Totally my fault.

having said that you are not giving Gabriok enough credit. On the right teams he would have put up amazing numbers.

but for those years I think Sutter has to be up there. He was a top 3-5 dman in the league.

Agreed completely on Suter, he was and still is a game changer.

Gaborik, agree to disagree, and he was one of my favorites growing up. He was dynamic and offensively exciting but he did not take over games the way Pettersson or Hughes can.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Agreed completely on Suter, he was and still is a game changer.

Gaborik, agree to disagree, and he was one of my favorites growing up. He was dynamic and offensively exciting but he did not take over games the way Pettersson or Hughes can.

he wasn’t a player who was going to control a game, I can agree with that, but at any point he could create something from nothing.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
This 4 categories game is pretty fun!

Also impressed by spelling gaborik incorrectly consistently. Well played.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
If Barrie WANTS to play here, id only consider him under specific conditions

1. at a deep discount (less aav than his last contract)
2. we resign Tanev
3. we get something useful for trading away Stehers rights (or cap dump)
4. he's 29, so no more than 3 years

That would result in:
Hughes Tanev
Edler Barrie
Fant Myers
Juolevi
I could live with that

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I've been saying it for a while. Signing Beagle, Roussel, Ferland etc. will directly cost this off season by the loss of two of Markstrom, Toffoli, and Tanev or one and a younger roster player (Virtanen, Stecher, Gaudette). That direct link needs to be pointed out over and over again.

Hi. How did you know at the point of signings that we would be trading for Toffoli?

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Hi. How did you know at the point of signings that we would be trading for Toffoli?
Sure. But it's a point that the philosophy of signing over priced aging players would eventually result in the loss of assets due to cap constraints and that everything was lining up to this summer as having the highest impact (until next summer when they have to sign Petersson and Hughes). The Toffoli trade just enhanced and emphasized the impact. If you want to put a finer point on it, I guess you could say that the actual impact is the loss of Madden and a draft pick.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
He just had basically an hour long interview on Tsn 1040, and honestly I thought he nailed it.

Did not make many excuses, one thing I really liked was his answer to the pressures of the market after six years

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Sure. But it's a point that the philosophy of signing over priced aging players would eventually result in the loss of assets due to cap constraints and that everything was lining up to this summer as having the highest impact (until next summer when they have to sign Petersson and Hughes). The Toffoli trade just enhanced and emphasized the impact. If you want to put a finer point on it, I guess you could say that the actual impact is the loss of Madden and a draft pick.

Hi, how did you know COVID was coming and resulted in the flat cap?

Had things stayed normal. The cap would not be an issue.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

The cap was a big issue regardless of COVID. If they brought the team back on team friendly contracts they would be $10M over the cap. COVID only limited the cap by, what, $2M? If COVID didn't happen they were still going to lose at least two of Tanev, Toffoli, and Markstrom, or one of these and a young roster player (if they could shed salary (Eriksson, Sutter, Roussel)).

Last edited:
Reactions: ChilliBilly

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Name one player from any those MIN teams that are as young, exciting and dynamic as Pettersson and Hughes. I hear what you're saying but we are entirely different from Minnesota.

I didn't make it but a comparison to Minnesota wouldn't be about the roster makeup but rather the results. Basically a step behind the San Jose Sharks, from 2012-13 to 2017-18 they made the playoffs each year averaging 98 points in the regular season, lost in the first round four times and the second round twice. The team makeup is actually an invoice of ours in that they had a good overall roster but always lacked high impact talent. Take that team and work some magic to swap UFA's signings Parise and Suter with 2nd contract Pettersson and Hughes (adjusted for year/cap ceiling would be about the same) and they'd have been Cup contenders.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

What lunacy is this? The cap was going to be a massive problem with or without covid. Somehow I don't think the cap was going to go up by the $15-20 million necessary to keep Pettersson and Hughes this time next year.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
What lunacy is this? The cap was going to be a massive problem with or without covid. Somehow I don't think the cap was going to go up by the $15-20 million necessary to keep Pettersson and Hughes this time next year.

For the 2021-22 season it was possible you could see a $10M cap hike with expansion and a new TV deal, but for this season yeah it probably would have went up $2M or so which doesn't exactly fix the problem.

Also for the optimistic non-Covid version of the 2021-22 season with a huge cap hike you have to think that it's going to take more than $10M each to sign Pettersson and Hughes.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
For the 2021-22 season it was possible you could see a $10M cap hike with expansion and a new TV deal, but for this season yeah it probably would have went up $2M or so which doesn't exactly fix the problem.

Also for the optimistic non-Covid version of the 2021-22 season with a huge cap hike you have to think that it's going to take more than $10M each to sign Pettersson and Hughes.

Expansion wouldnt have caused such a huge cap increase in 21-22. Expansion fees are not part of HRR it only could affect the cap afterwards if Seattle is making decent money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad