Post-Game Talk: End of the Season Press Conference + Exit Interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Pettersson and Hughes should be bridged. Nonsense to give a guy so much term too early. Have to consider regression and injury is always a possibility even in prime ages. Ideally
3yrs ELC 19-22
3yr RFA Bridge 22-25
8 yr franchise player deal 25-33 or 3-5yrs for quality players.

Don't go full Toronto

I can see Hughes signing a bridge deal as he has no arbitration rights but even then what kind of bridge deal is he getting? 7M plus?

Why wouldn’t it make more sense to sign him to that 8*8 deal or 8*$9 deal.

I do t see pettersson signing a bridge deal at all as he would have all the negotiating power.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Pettersson and Hughes should be bridged. Nonsense to give a guy so much term too early. Have to consider regression and injury is always a possibility even in prime ages. Ideally
3yrs ELC 19-22
3yr RFA Bridge 22-25
8 yr franchise player deal 25-33 or 3-5yrs for quality players.

Don't go full Toronto

Why are you using Toronto as the only example?

Kings, Penguins and Caps were all successful using the long term model. Which team has been successful with bridge model?

Reactions: racerjoe

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Why are you using Toronto as the only example?

Kings, Penguins and Caps were all successful using the long term model. Which team has been successful with bridge model?

Depending on if we’re able to rid ourselves of a couple of bad contracts, we may have to go the bridge route with both of them. Heck, they may even want that, what with the flat cap. I could see something along the lines of 7mil x 2 years each.

I’d prefer to go long term with these guys, but we may need to go this route.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Expansion wouldnt have caused such a huge cap increase in 21-22. Expansion fees are not part of HRR it only could affect the cap afterwards if Seattle is making decent money.

Don't quote me I haven't seen anything concrete, but this is more about the TV deal and I've seen people on HFBoards float the $10M number. If that has any accuracy I have no idea, just using it for the sake of discussion.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Don't quote me I haven't seen anything concrete, but this is more about the TV deal and I've seen people on HFBoards float the $10M number. If that has any accuracy I have no idea, just using it for the sake of discussion.

Even with the TV deal I doubt it. For arguments sake, lets say a 5m cap increase related to the tv deal. 5m x 32 teams = 160m which would be 50% of HRR so you would need an increase of $320m per year on the current deal which sits at 200m/y. Even before Covid hit, I dont think 500m+ per year was realistic.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I think Pettersson and Hughes would love being offered bridge deals. Works right into them getting paid exorbitant amounts later with greater leverage. Good idea.

Bridging high end players = Auto-loss for the GM.

Just wait until Boeser has to be re-upped.

Reactions: Luckylarry

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Here's the kind of company Pettersson is in and where I think he'll land on a long term deal.
20200914_114200.jpg

Reactions: racerjoe

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Here's the kind of company Pettersson is in and where I think he'll land on a long term deal. View attachment 367427
A couple things. First Pettersson is far better without the puck than all those guys, so he’s actually a more complete player. However, those contracts were all done with the belief the cap will go up thus creating their value in the last years of term. The cap isn’t going up any time soon. I think Petey comes in on a three year bridge deal at 6.5 - 7 per. Likely a total about 20 million for the three years. Hughes will be a bit less, bit similar deal.

Reactions: Kushman

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
There is at least one prominent player that had a bridge deal that is making an impact in the conference finals right now...Kucherov (though not on a bridge now). Kucherov was on a 3 x $4.7 mil deal and he scored 85, 100 and 128 points. Heck while it's almost $7 mil a year Point is basically also on a Bridge deal (3 x 6.75). So it is done and it does help teams out short term.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Here's the kind of company Pettersson is in and where I think he'll land on a long term deal. View attachment 367427

My formula has him at 10.1m on a long term deal. He could realistically ask for Matthews money though if he improves next year.

A couple things. First Pettersson is far better without the puck than all those guys, so he’s actually a more complete player. However, those contracts were all done with the belief the cap will go up thus creating their value in the last years of term. The cap isn’t going up any time soon. I think Petey comes in on a three year bridge deal at 6.5 - 7 per. Likely a total about 20 million for the three years. Hughes will be a bit less, bit similar deal.

Even with a flat cap, I would sign Pettersson long term if he signs for somewhere between 9m and 10.25m. It will be hard to build a competitive team in 3-4 years when Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat, and Boeser will all be due big raises.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I think the lack of revenue for the next while is going to cause bigger effect on the contracts being signed. This is not a small economic effect that is on the way. IMO, there are teams that are going to be flirting with bankruptcy if this goes on for another year or more. In Benning's year end presser, he was asked if the Canucks would spend to the cap again in the next two years and his response was he hadn't spoken to ownership on this yet and didn't know. I think when teams like the Canucks can't spend to the cap, and when there is no revenue to share in the league for weaker $$ teams, the effect is going to mean that contracts signed this year and next are going to be seriously effected. Teams simply can't afford many of these players. It is going to depress the market and require ownership groups to dig into their pockets in a real way for the short term. Not sure what that means league wide and what the fallout will be.

Reactions: Orr4Norris

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
My formula has him at 10.1m on a long term deal. He could realistically ask for Matthews money though if he improves next year.

Even with a flat cap, I would sign Pettersson long term if he signs for somewhere between 9m and 10.25m. It will be hard to build a competitive team in 3-4 years when Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat, and Boeser will all be due big raises.
If we can get Petey for between Draisatl and Eichel dollars then fir sure JB needs to go the full 8 years. 10 and under fir 8 years should be a no brainer fir Benning. And he should be good at the whole no brain scenarios.

Reactions: Bojack Horvatman

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think the lack of revenue for the next while is going to cause bigger effect on the contracts being signed. This is not a small economic effect that is on the way. IMO, there are teams that are going to be flirting with bankruptcy if this goes on for another year or more. In Benning's year end presser, he was asked if the Canucks would spend to the cap again in the next two years and his response was he hadn't spoken to ownership on this yet and didn't know. I think when teams like the Canucks can't spend to the cap, and when there is no revenue to share in the league for weaker $$ teams, the effect is going to mean that contracts signed this year and next are going to be seriously effected. Teams simply can't afford many of these players. It is going to depress the market and require ownership groups to dig into their pockets in a real way for the short term. Not sure what that means league wide and what the fallout will be.

I think the biggest impact will be that there will be far more 1&2 year deals than ever before. The teams/players have cap certainty for those two years so it just makes sense in many cases for both sides not to extend things beyond that.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think Pettersson and Hughes would love being offered bridge deals. Works right into them getting paid exorbitant amounts later with greater leverage. Good idea.

Bridging high end players = Auto-loss for the GM.

Just wait until Boeser has to be re-upped.

I honestly see both Hughes and Pettersson pushing for bridge deals. I think they and their agents will recognize that singing long term in a flat cap environment limits their future/prime year earning potential pretty significantly.

If Benning can get them to agree to long term deals, great - but I think they will both fight for bridge deals.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
If we can get Petey for between Draisatl and Eichel dollars then fir sure JB needs to go the full 8 years. 10 and under fir 8 years should be a no brainer fir Benning. And he should be good at the whole no brain scenarios.
I'd even do a bit above 10 if that is what it took to get him signed long term. I'd go even higher depending on how Petey plays next year.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I'm curious if you have to automatically write Hughes in at the same price, following the Daniel/Henrik, Toews/Kane, and Parise/Suter effect where you're guys who individually may have slightly different market value but are equally important to the team and their contracts are up for negotiation at the same time.

In this case, individually there's much lower precedence for a young impact dman coming off his ELC as there is for forwards, but it's hard to argue that Hughes isn't equal in value to the team as Pettersson.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Short term no but if you're looking at 8 year contracts that are starting the 2021-22 season I don't think that will be the case. The expectations with Covid-19 is that it was going to be a 2 year thing, so by this time next year it will be a year and a half and we should have an idea about a vaccine and if the arena's can open again for the 21-22 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce