'Emelin extension could get done soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
If we resign Emelin and Markov, and given that Subban is getting a massive raise, we may need to deal Gorges.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
This is a problem for MB.

If Emelin isn't signed this year, comes back and plays and shows well, then he will expect and will get some high offers probably close to around $4.0M plus at least. The better he is, the more he wants and expects. However, if Emelin is signed early, what if he comes back and flubs. He was drafted in 2004 and only played in the high level after seven years and had a minus 18 in 2011-2012. As well, after his operation he may not be the same player.

So what does MB do? He has to gamble somewhere, and keep in mind that the numbers offered Emelin on an early contract still have to satisfy Emelin for what he wants and thinks he is worth, else he just sits and waits for his UFA.

My guess is that MB will wait till at least a month to see what Emelin is like after his return, but by that time it may be too late to get him at a cheaper rate.

Emelin has laready shown e can play top 4 NHL plus at a high level internationally. Signing a26-27 year old for 4-5 years is not a big risk.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
This is what happens when you're a soft, small team. You overpay for bigger, more physical players. There are some here that would pay Emelin 4+ million/year?

:help:

dkd

May 4, 2012
Canada
Even if he struggle, would you really let him walk at the end of the year? He would not be the 1st player to take time to get his game in order after an injury.

Thing is injuries affect people differently, you never know.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
If we resign Emelin and Markov, and given that Subban is getting a massive raise, we may need to deal Gorges.

If we assume Subban at 7.5 mil cap hit(see Letang), Markov at 5.5-5.75. Emelin at 3.5-4 plus Gorges you have a top 4 signed at around 21 mil, that leaves lots of money for the rest of the team.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
This is what happens when you're a soft, small team. You overpay for bigger, more physical players. There are some here that would pay Emelin 4+ million/year?

:help:

The NHL is a pretty small league, I'm sure an NHL GM would give him 4.25-4.5 long term as a UFA.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
If we assume Subban at 7.5 mil cap hit(see Letang), Markov at 5.5-5.75. Emelin at 3.5-4 plus Gorges you have a top 4 signed at around 21 mil, that leaves lots of money for the rest of the team.
Right now we are paying ~20 million for 7 or 8 defenders depending on how you count.

The raises to Emelin and Subban could consume 7 million dollars in cap space, that does not leave a lot of room for the rest of the team.

Bergevin ...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'd rather let him play for a month before signing him. He might not be the same after the injury, you never know.
I want to see him play first too. Imagine we sign him for four years and then he's crap. We're already tied to Briere and DD, we don't need another bad deal on our hands.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Right now we are paying ~20 million for 7 or 8 defenders depending on how you count.

The raises to Emelin and Subban could consume 7 million dollars in cap space, that does not leave a lot of room for the rest of the team.

Bergevin ...

Gionta - Leblanc = roughly 4 millions.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Bergevin ...

The salary cap will be 65-75 mil, not 25-30. Plus as some young guys move up we may be able to move some d-men down the road as needed.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Wrong...

Tinordi, Beaulieu, Nygren and Pateryn all on the way.

Even if we are maximally lucky, and we have three rookies in our d corps next year making ~900, 000 a year (does that ever happen?), we would only save ~2 million total.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Even if we are maximally lucky, and we have three rookies in our d corps next year making ~900, 000 a year (does that ever happen?), we would only save ~2 million total.

Add this to the +-4 millions saved by having Bournival / Leblanc taking Gionta's spot (spot used in a liberal meaning -- Bournival would play LW, but Bourque RW...), an that makes 6.

Technically, Drewiske can take the spot of ANY of those players, meaning a 900K economy. For only one player.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I am assuming that we will have 7 dmen plus Drewiske. If Beaulieu and Tinordi both start next year and Gorges, Markov, Emelin, and Subban stay, we need one more, and it is probably someone making ~1.5 million.

Either way, our defense next year will be ~4-5 million more expensive. It can be managed but it will not be easy or pain free.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I am assuming that we will have 7 dmen plus Drewiske. If Beaulieu and Tinordi both start next year and Gorges, Markov, Emelin, and Subban stay, we need one more, and it is probably someone making ~1.5 million.

Either way, our defense next year will be ~4-5 million more expensive. It can be managed but it will not be easy or pain free.

I tend to somewhat agree with your ballpark figure regarding D.

But our forwards corps, at first glance, appears to shape up into something that will be 2 - 2.5 millions cheaper (excluding ANY slide risk/bonus).

We're currently roughly 2M below cap.

Analyzer*

We'll likely sign a guy like Deryk Engelland. A good 7th dman. Blocks shots, considered a heavy weight.

Subban
Gorges
Emelin
Tinordi
Beaulieu
Markov*
Ufa

Hopefully Emelin is on a good deal around 4 years.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Emelin , Markov, Subban are must signs. If I am Bergevin I don't get cute with any if these players .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad