'Emelin extension could get done soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

HatTricK09

Jun 23, 2012
3m/yr sounds like a fair deal to me right now, may be worth more if he comes back and plays like the way he did before injury

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
The questions then becomes, would you let him become UFA if you can not get him for $3M?
That's not the question. There are 8 more months until he could become a UFA. I don't need to sign him by Nov. 1, that's all. If he plays well enough, I'd cheerfully offer him more than $3M somewhere down the road. If he plays like crap and wants a big payday, I would cheerfully let him walk. Etc. I just don't see any point in committing big money right now.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
Sure wish the signing happens at the end of the year.

The Desharnais contract should serve as an example that rushing a contract extension is a baaaaad idea.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I do not get why posters are comparing Emelin to Desharnais. Little DD had bad fundamentals when he signed his contract, Emelin does not.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
This is a problem for MB.

If Emelin isn't signed this year, comes back and plays and shows well, then he will expect and will get some high offers probably close to around $4.0M plus at least. The better he is, the more he wants and expects. However, if Emelin is signed early, what if he comes back and flubs. He was drafted in 2004 and only played in the high level after seven years and had a minus 18 in 2011-2012. As well, after his operation he may not be the same player.

So what does MB do? He has to gamble somewhere, and keep in mind that the numbers offered Emelin on an early contract still have to satisfy Emelin for what he wants and thinks he is worth, else he just sits and waits for his UFA.

My guess is that MB will wait till at least a month to see what Emelin is like after his return, but by that time it may be too late to get him at a cheaper rate.

bjac

Jan 16, 2006
Good, he is a key component to the defense moving forward. They should have a window to be true contenders in about 2 years.

MB should be able to get a good deal because of Emelin injury. Hopefully it drops his price tag a bit (probably marginally, but its better than nothing).

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Price, Pacioretty, Desharnais and Prust are all signed....all contracts will end when those players will turn 31-32 years old.

So i expect the same here.
Players with that kind of physicality are hard to find and desperately needed in the NHL right now.

He's turning UFA this summer....unlike DD who was ¸RFA

MB don't want Emelin to come back and play well enough to build some hype around him turning UFA. Emelin might be tempted to see how much he's worth on the market.

Sign him 4 to 5 years.....
Around 3.5/4 millions.

He was starting to get known as one of the biggest bone-crushing hitter at D in the NHL.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
I do not get why posters are comparing Emelin to Desharnais. Little DD had bad fundamentals when he signed his contract, Emelin does not.
The question mark is whether Emelin will be the player he was once he comes back. In some cases, injuries can permanently change the way a player acted, reacted, or moved on the ice.

If it was dental surgery, I'd be quick to re-sign him, but something as challenging to come back from as an ACL...

I'm more than willing to wait until the end of the season before forming an opinion and deciding whether the team's finances should be spent on that specific player.

I honestly don't see any positives that could come out of re-signing him quickly.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
The question mark is whether Emelin will be the player he was once he comes back. In some cases, injuries can permanently change the way a player acted, reacted, or moved on the ice.

If it was dental surgery, I'd be quick to re-sign him, but something as challenging to come back from as an ACL...

I'm more than willing to wait until the end of the season before forming an opinion and deciding whether the team's finances should be spent on that specific player.

I honestly don't see any positives that could come out of re-signing him quickly.

thats what contract talks are all about, taking educated risks. MB is 0/2 as of now after his failed attempt at hardballing subban and the DD contract
thats the reason why hes sitting in his GM chair and were not, he gets paid to make the right calls

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
thats what contract talks are all about, taking educated risks. MB is 0/2 as of now after his failed attempt at hardballing subban and the DD contract
thats the reason why hes sitting in his GM chair and were not, he gets paid to make the right calls

How did Bergevin fail in his contract with Subban? Subban had a Norris-winning season and is now seemingly ready to be re-signed. Yes, it'll cost us about 2M$ more per season, but chances are he'll get a longterm deal that'll keep him in a Habs jersey until he's in his 30s.

I didn't like the bridge deal either, but there's an upside if you look at the five-year plans with and without the bridge deal:

Had there been no bridge deal (the rumoured amount): 5 yrs x 5.5M$ = TOTAL without bridge: 27.5M$ until Subban is 29. That's if Bergevin would've been nice to PK in January.

But the amount we spend to keep 29-year-old Subban with the bridge deal + possible new contract: 2.875M$ x 2 = 5.75M$ (bridge) / 8M$ per season (generous new contract as of three more seasons) = 24M$ TOTAL with bridge + big contract: 29.75M$ until Subban is 29. The new contract will be longer, but I'm only counting up to the end of the term he would've had without the bridge deal - five years from January 2013.

Even if he's signed to an 8M$ contract now, there will only be a 2.25M$ difference TOTAL over five seasons, from January 2013 to the end of 2016/17 season. Plus by re-signing him after this bridge, we keep Subban until he's 33. Otherwise, with no bridge, Subban is an UFA at 29 -- imagine how much it would cost then.

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
It's tough, because we have no real comparable players.

He has KHL experience, but I doubt Montreal wants to pay him for their patience.

He has 100 NHL games. He's coming off a major surgery. The cap is going up.

Ipso facto, he deserves....a small raise???

Maybe we should use this strategy:

hqdefault.jpg

The comparable here is Niklas Hjmarlsson. Between 3.5M-4.5M. I would say he'll sign 14M for 4 years.

dkd

May 4, 2012
Canada
I'd rather let him play for a month before signing him. He might not be the same after the injury, you never know.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I'd rather let him play for a month before signing him. He might not be the same after the injury, you never know.

Even if he struggle, would you really let him walk at the end of the year? He would not be the 1st player to take time to get his game in order after an injury.

NewHabsEra*

4 years $14M

Nice terms.. I would like this deal alot..

Emelin has become a very important piece to this team, hopefully he comes back at 100% but its strange but Im not very worried about it.. He has guys around (Markov and Galchenyuk), to give him advices on the matter..

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
That's not the question. There are 8 more months until he could become a UFA. I don't need to sign him by Nov. 1, that's all. If he plays well enough, I'd cheerfully offer him more than $3M somewhere down the road. If he plays like crap and wants a big payday, I would cheerfully let him walk. Etc. I just don't see any point in committing big money right now.

Would you say that's literally or figuratively playing Russian Roulette?
It may be neither but it's a scary game.

If you can get Emelin to sign a reasonable contract it will happen when there's some risk to the club and some uncertainty for Emelin about his health . You can't take a hard line with this player he'll wait and get more somewhere else. That would be a huge setback.

Oct 22, 2012
3-3.5/year for 3 years. We all should know that while knee injuries are nothing to be taken lighly, players can recover and can perform even or more better ala Galchenyuk, Gorges, and Markov.

No real option here, team needs him and might be able to get a discount to get it done early.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
In management, you always solve the big issues before tackling the less critical ones... It's like when you're packing your car for a long trip. You put in the big stuff and fit the rest after.

That's all I have to say.

The Habs have 5 d-men coming up as FA's(UFA or RFA). Letting the other 4 dandle until Markov or Subban is signed is dumb.

If you sign a guy to a good deal, it's a good deal regardless of who else is unsigned.

Emelin is a key piece going forward, if you can sign him now, you do. No reason to believe his knee won't come back he's already ahead of his timeframe.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Glad to hear it could be done soon, as a UFA to be and only 27, it's a must that the Habs lock him up as the D going forward is a major sticking point right now since we have so many un-signed D's currently.

My guess would be somewhere around 5 years, 17.5M/3.5M a year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad