'Emelin extension could get done soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
I am assuming that we will have 7 dmen plus Drewiske. If Beaulieu and Tinordi both start next year and Gorges, Markov, Emelin, and Subban stay, we need one more, and it is probably someone making ~1.5 million.

Either way, our defense next year will be ~4-5 million more expensive. It can be managed but it will not be easy or pain free.

The Norris surcharge.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Emelin has laready shown e can play top 4 NHL plus at a high level internationally. Signing a26-27 year old for 4-5 years is not a big risk.

There is always a risk involved after a major injury, and if it is low, then expect to sign him for at least $4M.

If you think there is no risk, then MB is better to sign him now, but Emelin has his UFA coming up and if isn't offered what he thinks he is worth, then he just waits for it.

Last edited:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I'm surprised at all the talk about a multi-year extension from everyone...Have we learned nothing from the DD fiasco?

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Would you say that's literally or figuratively playing Russian Roulette?
It may be neither but it's a scary game.

If you can get Emelin to sign a reasonable contract it will happen when there's some risk to the club and some uncertainty for Emelin about his health . You can't take a hard line with this player he'll wait and get more somewhere else. That would be a huge setback.
I don't see it as a hard line at all. He's coming back from injury and I don't believe he has proven himself yet to be a top-4 defenseman. I think he could be. But he also has weaknesses, poor defensive zone coverage being the main one. But it's a serious one for his role. I think he has some offensive upside, but he hasn't really got the numbers to show it yet. Let him play. He can put any doubts to rest. Or not. And if he prices himself out of his deserved range, fair enough, it's his right to go that way as a UFA, and I don't think we miss him too much. There are always replacements to be had. Flip side, if you can lock him up at a good term on what seems like a good/fair cap hit, then sure, why not.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Is Emelin worth more than Gorges or less? Honest question
Less. Much less... until he proves himself worth more. You can't go paying a non-core player like him on hope alone. He might become better/more important than Gorges. But he never has been to date. Pay guys for what they've actually shown, not for what you hope/think they might be able to show one day.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Less. Much less... until he proves himself worth more. You can't go paying a non-core player like him on hope alone. He might become better/more important than Gorges. But he never has been to date. Pay guys for what they've actually shown, not for what you hope/think they might be able to show one day.

waaaattttt. Emelin was CLEARLY above Gorges on the depth chart last year.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site

You say he is non-core but others would disagree. As far as being better than Gorges, I have to disagree again. It looks like you either haven't noticed or minimize what Emelin brought to the team.

C'est la vie. If Montreal goes the cheap route there are likely 20 other teams that wouldn't mind having him.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

I usually agree with most of what you say but I think I disagree with just about everything you wrote there.

The way to success is to pay for what you think players will be worth in the future not what they were worth in the past. Paying players for past accomplishments is fair but not good for building the best team possible. EDIT: One thing to note here is that past accomplishments often are a big indicator of future accomplishments. But not always and it's important to make the difference.

Also Gorges is insanely overrated and overpaid. Emelin is already better than him at just about everything. Time and time again it shows that Gorges is overmatched and out of his element against top opposition. Emelin was facing top opposition last year with Markov.

That said, Emelin hasn't been doing it at a high level for very long and the injury scares me.

Last edited:

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
I wanted him extended but I thought they would wait for him to come back from his injury first. A 2 or 3 year extension at a good cap hit (3.5 or less) wouldn't be the end of the world.

This reminds me of Gorges situations when he had his injury (besides the difference between UFA & RFA). He wanted to sign long term but the team was weary due to his injury and wanted him to play again first. He signed a one year deal and six months later the Habs locked him up for six more years at a higher cap hit then they would have if they just signed him in the summer.

Waiting or not, both sides have its pros and cons.

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Daniel Briere ($4.000m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Michael Bournival ($0.870m)
Brandon Prust ($2.500m) / Lars Eller ($3.250m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Ryan White ($0.900m) / Louis Leblanc ($0.851m)
George Parros ($0.900m)
DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($4.500m) / P.K. Subban ($6.500m)
Alexei Emelin ($3.000m) / Dan Girardi ($5.000m)
Jarred Tinordi ($1.083m) / Josh Gorges ($3.900m)
Davis Drewiske ($0.638m) /
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,568,833; BONUSES: $2,907,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,638,667

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
There is always a risk involved after a major injury, and if it is low, then expect to sign him for at least $4M.

If you think there is no risk, then MB is better to sign him now, but Emelin has his UFA coming up and if isn't offered what he thinks he is worth, then he just waits for it.

The risk gets more and more minimal as he is rehabbing. Plus, I have heard of guys re-injuring ACL's but never seen a career end in the 20's because of it...

Letting him walk is a much bigger risk.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

How is Emelin not a core player? He's a #3 or 4 d-man, not sure on what planet legit top 4 NHL d-men get signed at 2-3 mil per year with UFA under a year away. Played 19:40 a night last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln