'Emelin extension could get done soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
I would not wait at all. He's a newport client, and if you give them an inch they'll take a mile. I'd hammer out a deal before he shows again just how important he is to the club. Anything below 4 million a year over 4 years would be a steal i think. He hasn't even had a chance to show his offensive potential, which i think is definitely there.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
he played 105 games in the NHL, shouldn't he get a 2 year "transition" contract to see what he's worth? we don't know much about him, I wouldn't want to pull a Desharnais again if I was Bergevin

WestIslander

Feb 5, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
Trade Markov for prospects and picks this March, trade Diaz, do not re-sign Bouillon, sign Girardi and Quincey.

Next season:

Quincey - Subban
Girardi - Emelin
Gorges - Beaulieu
Tinordi

68*

I hope Bergevin knows what he's doing. Don't want another Briere/Desharnais situation. Right now Bergevin has shown that he has nice facial aesthetics, good fashion sense and good social skills but damn he ****ed up bad with the salary cap.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
In management, you always solve the big issues before tackling the less critical ones... It's like when you're packing your car for a long trip. You put in the big stuff and fit the rest after.

That's all I have to say.

If you're packing your car for a long trip could you please make an exception and just toss DD in the boot?

Emelin should be signed semi long-term IMO, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that he commands DD money, $3.5M x 4yrs. I hope we don't just sign him for one or even two years but yeah it is a tough call I understand waiting to be sure he's 100% as we've had issues before with Russian defencemen and lingering knee issues.

I think Subban Markov Emelin Gorges is a well-balanced and high-quality top four, especially if Mur-ray is there on the bottom pairing. (How's that for a nickname, "Mur-ray", because he's like a wall, or "mur" in French. :naughty:)

Last edited:

PricePkPatch*

To be honest, signing him while he's still on IR is probably get us a good discount; at the risk of maybe signing a lame duck.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
This one can go so manu ways I dont even know where to start.

Zorro

Aug 5, 2011
The fact that Emelin wants to sign right now is actually kind of scary...think about it, he perhaps knows that he may not hit like he used to and therefore his value would go down once he starts playing, so for him to get a deal based on his accomplishments prior to his injury is a nice safety net.

MB knows this and shoudl take advantage of the situation, i.e signing him to a low cap hit

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
In management, you always solve the big issues before tackling the less critical ones... It's like when you're packing your car for a long trip. You put in the big stuff and fit the rest after.

That's all I have to say.

If you manage that way, then the less critical issues never get handled because there are always more important or more urgent issues to handle. Managers have to be multitaskers and make sure they are actively managing less important/urgent issues even when more important/urgent issues are outstanding.

Perhaps Bergevin is handling both Subban and Emelin extensions at the same time, but Emelin is likely to get completed sooner because it is a less complex case? Or perhaps he is handling Emelin first because he knows it will go quickly, then he can focus on the longer negotiation?

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Trade Subban for prospects and picks this March, trade Diaz, do not re-sign Bouillon, sign Girardi and Quincey.

Next season:

Quincey - Subban
Girardi - Emelin
Gorges - Beaulieu
Tinordi

Our present defence is better than that as Markov is miles ahead of everyone not named Subban on the list. Quincey is **** and Girardi - Emelin should amount to 24points together.

Last edited:

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
with 100 game played? you can't really give a contract based on projections like that...

anything over 2.5M X 2 would be too much

I think emelin is better than gorges now but the good old union seniority comes into play in the nhl.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
I think emelin is better than gorges now but the good old union seniority comes into play in the nhl.

Emelin is probably better, but after the Desharnais disaster we can't afford to sign another contract like that one... Desharnais got that contract because he "deserved" it, he was pretty good that season...

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
At least $4.5M is my guess, this is going to be some high priced defence going into next year. That's why Tinordi and Beaulieu are needed .

In terms of team priorities I think Diaz and Bouillon are odd men out, at least they should be.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
At least $4.5M is my guess, this is going to be some high priced defence going into next year. That's why Tinordi and Beaulieu are needed .

In terms of team priorities I think Diaz and Bouillon are odd men out, at least they should be.

4.5/year for emelin?

attachetatuque

un gros bonhomme!
Feb 1, 2013
Signing Emelin is of upmost importance, much more important than Diaz and Markov IMO

I wouldn't do it until he has proven his knee is 100%, but I think it's fair that it gets done before the end of the season because if he tests the market he will get all kinds of offers, as team are, as we have seen it, willing to overpay for this type of player. I'd offer him 3 x 3mil. anything in that range i'm fine with.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
4.5/year for emelin?

The loss of Emelin has highlighted his importance, he's a UFA not RFA, salaries are escalating and seem to be disproportionately doing so for defenceman.

That's my argument to support largely a guess on a player with a unique history. I think his salary starts with a $4.xM

Edit: Josh Gorges got $3.9M in a similar status, how does Emelin stack up?

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
Guessing is like stabbing the dark.

This defense fell apart after he got injured last year, on the other hand we are doing fine without him this year.

Comparables are tough since there so many factors, age, hits, ice time, experience, etc.

I see his value at 3 - 3.5 million, but you never know, I could easily be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad