Elliott and Neuvirth

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm agnostic about Lyon, showed me little when he came up, but he may have been nervous.
Mediocre two years in the AHL until the playoffs, but it was as if a taste of the NHL convinced him he was better than his AHL peers, and he started playing like it.

I'd like to see him get a shot and find out if those 12 games were a mirage or a player finding himself.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hexy should have never traded for Mrazek and given Lyon more of an opportunity in the NHL last season.

Alex did distinguish himself decently in his 1st taste of the NHL.

I don’t get why some on here are down on Lyon, goalies do take longer to develop, it’s not like Lyon was a total disaster.

You liked this post, Rebel?

Outstanding!

Wanted him last summer.

Needed him now.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I dont see that at all.

If you squint, I think you can see it. Helle is just bigger and a lot better. I'm probably a poor analyzer of goalies, but both seem like blocking goaltenders that rely not on pure athleticism but on above average mobility and smart positioning.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I'm agnostic about Lyon, showed me little when he came up, but he may have been nervous.
Mediocre two years in the AHL until the playoffs, but it was as if a taste of the NHL convinced him he was better than his AHL peers, and he started playing like it.

I'd like to see him get a shot and find out if those 12 games were a mirage or a player finding himself.

"Agnostic" is a good term for Lyon. He is intriguing as a potentially reliable emergency call-up for when either of Elliott or Neuvirth go down, but having him as the long-term backup gives me the blahs. Plus, Lyon's waiver considerations make it more difficult to bring him up for spot duty.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Flyers' management of the goaltending position:

h6mmntxppqwy.gif

(Also, some days/topics on the forums)

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
We'll have to see how the Lyon, Elliott, Neuvirth competition works out in camp. My sense is that Lyon makes the team as a backup and either Elliott or Neuvirth show that they are not healthy enough to open the season and one of them goes on IR. I don't trust either of those two to be healthy through an entire season.
IDK what Kari Lehtonen's demands are right now but I wouldn't be opposed to signing him on a sensible two year deal and cutting ties with Elliott and/or Neuvirth since they're both UFAs at the end of the season. The Flyers have the cap space to eat those contracts this season. Using Lehtonen/Lyon as a bridge to Hart makes more sense to me than what the Flyers have in camp today.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
We'll have to see how the Lyon, Elliott, Neuvirth competition works out in camp. My sense is that Lyon makes the team as a backup and either Elliott or Neuvirth show that they are not healthy enough to open the season and one of them goes on IR. I don't trust either of those two to be healthy through an entire season.
IDK what Kari Lehtonen's demands are right now but I wouldn't be opposed to signing him
on a sensible two year deal and cutting ties with Elliott and/or Neuvirth since they're both UFAs at the end of the season. The Flyers have the cap space to eat those contracts this season. Using Lehtonen/Lyon as a bridge to Hart makes more sense to me than what the Flyers have in camp today.

When has Lehtonen ever been healthy for a longer stretch the last few years?
He is a bonafide starter in this league when healthy and in shape just like Neuvirth and Elliot. Different goalie, same issue.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
When has Lehtonen ever been healthy for a longer stretch the last few years?
He is a bonafide starter in this league when healthy and in shape just like Neuvirth and Elliot. Different goalie, same issue.
He's had back issues in the past but I believe that he has had them under control lately. Any team that took him on would have to have given him an extensive physical exam. Last year his playing time in Dallas was cut due to their acquisition of Bishop.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I think Lyon has an outside chance at being a backup nhl goalie which on this team means he has starter potential lol. He should definitely be in the mix for a job this year. If by the grace of the hockey gods we have 3 healthy goalies pick the best two.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm still sticking by my "Neuvirth will be healthy this season" guarantee. Might even bet an organ on it.

I like to live dangerously.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
if the young dee do their job, and improve simply by having a year of NHL under their belts, all goalies should improve. That's the biggest factor in my mind...Provy simply needs help from his colleagues, on all fronts...Gudas needs to re-learn his anger trigger points and re-calibrate, or else he could be done...Hagg and Sanheim need to take last year's experience to heart and address what they did not do well at an NHL pace...Amac needs to get a bit less TOI which will happen if the others step up...and Ghost just needs to continue to explore whatever vistas coaches give him.

And Folin simply needs to mop up. Unless Meyers can learn to do the same.

Elliot and Neuvy can easily get them to a playoff round win. And I expect Stoly or Lyon could do the same, as long as the dee get better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad