Elliott and Neuvirth

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Its really depressing heading into the season with these bozos in net. With competent goaltending and PK, this team could have competed for the Division title.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If anyone's expecting Carter Hart to never get hurt and never be victimized by poor penalty killing, then they are setting themselves up for some major disappointment.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
If anyone's expecting Carter Hart to never get hurt and never be victimized by poor penalty killing, then they are setting themselves up for some major disappointment.

Its just another reason why set your expectations low. I don’t expect the kid to come in and be the savior right away. The kid is likely going to have a learning curve early on and folks are going to have to be patient.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I hope none of them are here. No faith, the Neuvrith play has been done to death, he's borderline useless in the NHL, can't stay healthy, I don't care how talented he "may" be.

I hear you, but there are no good options to replace them in the immediate future. Pick up a different mediocre goaltender, overpay for a good/great one, run with Lyon, etc.

jghockey

Aug 14, 2018
My hope is that Elliott, Neuvirth, and Lyon are battling for the placeholder 1A goaltender position next season, since there is no good option among the three and the logically best outcome for Hart would be Flyers backup in 2019-20 if he has a fabulous season with the Phantoms this year. I will predict Elliott as starter in 2019, Lyon as backup, and Hart starts in Lehigh Valley.

Then it pays to trade Neuvirth for whatever the team can get for him.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
When will this problem be solved? The Flyers continually try to get the best out of back up goalies (Neuvirth and Elliott), but continue to put their future on hold by burying their prospective starting goalies in minor league purgatory.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Who has been buried?

Stolarz, blew out his knee or he would have played last year.
Lyon, two mediocre AHL seasons, then a meh showing in the NHL, before he shined in the AHL playoffs, he'll get a long look this year.
Sandstrom, injured last year, hopefully he'll bounce back and star in the SHL.
Hart, 20 year old WHL star, needs seasoning in the AHL, it's a huge jump for a goalie from the CHL to the NHL.

At least this year, we'll have depth through the system, and more options than trading for Mrazek.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I’m gonna go ahead and stand by what I said before.

If Neuvirth his healthy (which I made a bet that he will be) then he’s good enough to be a legit starter. He’s had ups and downs but it seems like most of the downs are injury related, so if we can eliminate that we might have a decent goalie on our hands.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Which goalie prospect have they buried in the minors for too long?

Stolarz played 107 AHL games in three years, then he had to have two major knee surgeries which removed him as an NHL option and cost him almost his entire fourth season. Lyon has played 74 AHL games over two years. That's pretty normal for non-elite goalie prospects.

Corey Crawford played five full AHL seasons and 252 AHL games before becoming an NHL starter at age 25.

Jimmy Howard played four full AHL seasons and 186 AHL games before becoming an NHL starter at age 25.

And Elliott has been at worst a 1B the past four seasons.

14-15: 45 starts, .917
15-16: 38 starts, .930
16-17: 45 starts, .910
17-18: 42 starts, .909

Last edited:
Reactions: renberg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Elliott and Neuvirth are capable of stretches of sterling play when they can carry a team, unfortunately, they're also capable of putrid play that can bury a team!@#

Elliott
2014-15: 45g .917
2015-16: 38g .930, 18 PO games .921

Neuvirth
2015-16: 29g .924, 3 PO games .981
2017-18: 15g .914

Flyers need to get a little lucky between these two, Lyon and Stolarz and buy a year while Hart and Sandstrom grow up.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I’m gonna go ahead and stand by what I said before.

If Neuvirth his healthy (which I made a bet that he will be) then he’s good enough to be a legit starter. He’s had ups and downs but it seems like most of the downs are injury related, so if we can eliminate that we might have a decent goalie on our hands.

I want to believe that Neuvirth can visit the Pool of Bethesda and emerge a healthy goaltender who, when on, is top notch. But I wouldn't want to invest in this with a new contract. I also have no confidence that Hakstol will split starts efficiently to keep his goaltenders healthy.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
What games were you watching? The one thing Elliot didnt do was give up back breaking softies until he got hurt down the stretch. He was solid most of the year and gave us a chance to win every night

Elliot gave up tons of softies and he rarely ever makes a big save

Reactions: Morinisbear

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I want to believe that Neuvirth can visit the Pool of Bethesda and emerge a healthy goaltender who, when on, is top notch. But I wouldn't want to invest in this with a new contract. I also have no confidence that Hakstol will split starts efficiently to keep his goaltenders healthy.
Me neither. Unfortunately, even if he does have a good year and stays healthy, you still can't sign him because what are the chances he's able to stay healthy into the future...? So I guess the hope is just that we get one good year out of him before he's gone.

Reactions: BernieParent

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
I still wonder if we could get a healthy year out of Luongo. When he has played over the past few years, he is a top G in this league! Could be a nice bridge to Hart.

Anyway, Elliot will never win in the Playoffs. Neuvy is good when healthy.....ya know the rest. Hopefully Lyon proves to be a decent starter this year after building from his stint and AHL playoffs.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I still wonder if we could get a healthy year out of Luongo. When he has played over the past few years, he is a top G in this league! Could be a nice bridge to Hart.

Anyway, Elliot will never win in the Playoffs. Neuvy is good when healthy.....ya know the rest. Hopefully Lyon proves to be a decent starter this year after building from his stint and AHL playoffs.
There's no way Panthers trade him though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad