Elliott and Neuvirth

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
th

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Neuvirth has shown that he's too brittle to play in this league. The Flyers should be finished with him. Elliott could do as a back up to Hart but he has his problems with his injury history of late and his lack of lateral movement. I'd rather see someone else to pair with Hart. Someone who is more reliable health wise for one. No one wants to see a goalie roulette like this season has been ever happen again.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Elliot would probably work as a Veteran mentor and backup to Hart because he appears a team guy with good attitude.
I believe there is a reasonable chance we see him back next season. Not many better options available that would sign short term and accept such a role.

Personally, with Hextall gone and a new regime in place, I'd talk to Steve Mason's agent to find out if he still wants to play.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Why on Earth would we re-sign Elliott? He is also falling apart physically.

There will be other options for short-term backups on the market.

Reactions: BernieParent

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT

Elliot has played more than 40 games a season each of the last 4 seasons, which is standard for a split starter and more than you could ask for in a backup.
And he would probably not have to shoulder a similar workload ever again with Carter Hart pushing for playing time.

I'm more scared of the alternatives available like Anderson, Smith, Lehtonen who are less durable physically and worse statswise.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I've been saying that, but no one listens.
The goalies have been the problem.
The PK is fixed (especially with Hart in net), now just figure out the PP and this is a decent team.

Elliott was fine through December last year, then broke down three weeks later after Neuvirth returned and his workload was reduced to 5 games in three weeks - maybe there's something to goalies getting into a groove.
Hart has play 69-70 games the last three season at age 17-19.

Bringing Elliott back on a low cost deal will probably depend on Lyon, who is playing very well at LHV.
If Lyon keeps developing, Elliott isn't needed, if not, are there goalies on the market who make more sense as Hart's backup?

Reactions: Appleyard

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I've been saying that, but no one listens.
The goalies have been the problem.
The PK is fixed (especially with Hart in net), now just figure out the PP and this is a decent team.

Elliott was fine through December last year, then broke down three weeks later after Neuvirth returned and his workload was reduced to 5 games in three weeks - maybe there's something to goalies getting into a groove.
Hart has play 69-70 games the last three season at age 17-19.

Bringing Elliott back on a low cost deal will probably depend on Lyon, who is playing very well at LHV.
If Lyon keeps developing, Elliott isn't needed, if not, are there goalies on the market who make more sense as Hart's backup?
I’d take McElhinney over Elliott due to Elliott’s injury problems. I’d take Talbot as the backup, too. I assume Koskinen & Lehner will get re-signed as starters.

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Lyon can be in the AHL next year. Come up is someone gets hurt. No team grabs him and he is already signed for next year.

Stolie looks like he has no spot. Can't go with Hart and Stolie. Can't have Stolie and Lyon in AHL unless Sandstrom doesn't come over. He looks like the guy without a chair when the music stops.

Just add a NHL goalie who can post a +.910 SV% and play 40 games if needed. Not a big ask.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I’d take McElhinney over Elliott due to Elliott’s injury problems. I’d take Talbot as the backup, too. I assume Koskinen & Lehner will get re-signed as starters.
Despite his age, McElhinney for sure has been the most consistent option that is out there.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Elliot has played more than 40 games a season each of the last 4 seasons, which is standard for a split starter and more than you could ask for in a backup.
And he would probably not have to shoulder a similar workload ever again with Carter Hart pushing for playing time.

I'm more scared of the alternatives available like Anderson, Smith, Lehtonen who are less durable physically and worse statswise.

Elliott will 100% get injured again next season.

Let's get a back-up that isn't a constant injury risk.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

It depends.

Bobrovsky
Varmalov
Lehner
Howard
Miller
Crawford
McElhinney

Are only guys who are at a higher or the same level...

and a few might be re-signed.
Crawford has some injury worries.
Miller might not leave the West coast.
Varmalov might get a long contract.
Bob WILL get a long contract and cap.
Is Talbot an upgrade off last two years?
Can McElhinney play more than ~25 games?

I think Howard might be the best fit... but after him it is a legit possibility that Elliott could be once term, cap etc taken into it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
All the above options come with issues. There is no perfect 2 year guy for 2-3 million who is always healthy and posts a .915 SV% or more.

Gotta get lucky with who we get.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It depends.

Bobrovsky
Varmalov
Lehner
Howard
Miller
Crawford
McElhinney

Are only guys who are at a higher or the same level...

and a few might be re-signed.
Crawford has some injury worries.
Miller might not leave the West coast.
Varmalov might get a long contract.
Bob WILL get a long contract and cap.
Is Talbot an upgrade off last two years?
Can McElhinney play more than ~25 games?

I think Howard might be the best fit... but after him it is a legit possibility that Elliott could be once term, cap etc taken into it.

Talbot is the most appealing to me there as a short-term option. He's proven to be a good goalie in the past. A change of scenery could do him some good maybe?

Or maybe we sign a Kinkaid?

Or maybe we go trade route?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad