Eller already in the doghouse?

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
Desharnais might not be a real 1st line player but Eller would be no more than a 3rd line centre on most NHL team if not all. Eller would possibly play on wing if he was still a St Louis Blues player.

Yes, Eller looks great. He's tall and skates well. But he has major flaws in his play. Three consecutive head coaches at NHL level can't be wrong about him.

Whether DD is a "true" first line center shouldn't be the question. The habs made
great use of what he brings to the table last year, by using him in that role. It could
also be argued that we got a lot from Cole and MaxPac by using them together.
Eller hasn't shown anything that would suggest he would do better. And we
would lose DD's most effective role into the bargain.
And ,as to them struggling this season. Two games is too little, and DD
did look somewhat better the second game.
Cole on the other hand I'm a little worried about. After all, the 9 month lay-off
would effect an older guy more.

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
It is pretty sad. I guess their point is that Eller looks better as a C which is not false. Yet, incredible that it took them 2 games to dismiss what Desharnais has done last year and would took him out instead of White. Just incredible. But then, they'll tell you that Eller deserves, for some reason, 1st line duty. How great is that. 'Cause Eller wouldn't be able to produce with plugs like Gallagher and Prust...something a young rookie was able to do.

Gallagher is far from a plug

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
There's no doghouse for Eller at the moment. Let the coaching staff feel their way through this roster. Guys have to earn their spots and the coach's trust. The nature of this shortened season dictates that the coaches have to figure out what they have got "on the fly".

Eller will get back in at some point and earn his stripes. I think you will see a bit of a revolving door for the next little while until the coaches have a better feel for what they have. Even some players that are in the lineup have experienced line shuffling already.

Its too early to say that he's in the doghouse. Had Eller been with MT in the past like Armstrong or Bouillon, he may have gotten the benefit of the doubt, but as it stands, he simply has to earn MT's trust, and after he has done that, MT is known to be a pretty loyal guy. If you are worried about him getting a chance, don't be. There will be plenty of time to get back in and showcase.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Desharnais might not be a real 1st line player but Eller would be no more than a 3rd line centre on most NHL team if not all. Eller would possibly play on wing if he was still a St Louis Blues player.

Yes, Eller looks great. He's tall and skates well. But he has major flaws in his play. Three consecutive head coaches at NHL level can't be wrong about him.

Counting Cunneyworth as a legitimate NHL head coach is a bit of a stretch. And Martin is brutal on all rookies.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
Counting Cunneyworth as a legitimate NHL head coach is a bit of a stretch. And Martin is brutal on all rookies.

Both did a good job with PK imo.

Desharnais also found his place with them as a rookie, even though it took a while before he finally got Gomez's spot.

Eller will have his chance soon. It's very clear what Therrien wants from his players, we all know what he'll have to do to stay on the line up and get a chance on a top line.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Both did a good job with PK imo.

Desharnais also found his place with them as a rookie, even though it took a while before he finally got Gomez's spot.

Eller will have his chance soon. It's very clear what Therrien wants from his players, we all know what he'll have to do to stay on the line up and get a chance on a top line.

I would give a lot of credit to Martin for improving both Eller and Subban's defensive games, and it is proof that benching isn't always a bad thing. Cunneyworth is another story.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Why always link Desharnais and Eller ?

I am sick and tired of it.
Because one is a big damn talented center with great attitude, which we have been crying for for heeeh.. I wasn't born ? +Hes getting benched for no reason.
Another thing the DD buttkissers dont understand is that we have a damn diamond in the rough with Eller. He sure does look bad at times, I'd be a fool to say otherwise. He need's grooming. Now can you get groomed while in the stands ? NIET.

Another point that i'd like to add is that we have screwed enough players. If he's not in the plans trade him. Don't leave him in the stands. This counts for Weber too.
<<<----THIS IS WHAT YOU GUYS SHOULD READ AND NOTHING ELSE
It is pretty sad. I guess their point is that Eller looks better as a C which is not false. Yet, incredible that it took them 2 games to dismiss what Desharnais has done last year and would took him out instead of White. Just incredible. But then, they'll tell you that Eller deserves, for some reason, 1st line duty. How great is that. 'Cause Eller wouldn't be able to produce with plugs like Gallagher and Prust...something a young rookie was able to do.

Who said that Eller deserves first line duty? Who even said second line ? Eller deserves his chance to produce offensively, he never had one.

You're contradicting yourself by bashing Eller yourself.
And Galchenyuk did scored a goal. In one game. Let's slow down here.w
Desharnais might not be a real 1st line player but Eller would be no more than a 3rd line center on most NHL team if not all. Eller would possibly play on wing if he was still a St Louis Blues player.

Eller would be a second line player on many teams in fact. The coaches argument is flawed. You know why? Because MT has coached 2 games so far, so we don't really know his intentions. Eller was 21 at the time JM was there, and was in his rookie season. And rc is rc.

What about his major flaws ? He's not productive you say? The kid never had his damn chance.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Gallagher is far from a plug

I always use the irony smiley....always....and the few times I don't, there's always somebody who don't pick it up....Come on man...it's irony.

Who said that Eller deserves first line duty? Who even said second line ? Eller deserves his chance to produce offensively, he never had one. You're contradicting yourself by bashing Eller yourself.And Galchenyuk did scored a goal. In one game. Let's slow down here.

Who said he needed 1st line duty? Oh I don't know maybe the ones who keeps dissing DD and keeps saying that they'd love to see Eller with Pacioretty and Cole to see what he could be able to do? Putting Eller with Cole and Pacioretty....does it qualify for 1st line duty? And "a chance to produce offensively" can happen with other guys that the 1st liners as we prove from time to time, as other teams prove it from time to time as well.

The thing is, this discussion is totally irrelevant and borderline stupid. Who here had this discussion last year? Who suggested to put Eller in an offensive line duty? Clearly, if it happen, nobody would have suggested to replace Pleks did they? No...would have been to replace DD. But people were wise enough to see that DD was amongst the only good news we had last year. Now, that WHOLE line is having some problems for 2 games now. And yet, it's dress Eller bench DD? You need talent in a lineup. Yes, Eller has some talent but so did DD. So I don't agree with a Eller stand watching, but clearly can't agree with a DD stand watching either. But Eller will be watching for his 2nd game in a row....guess what, we lose that one and if Eller respond well, he can have all of the next 45 games to build his confidence....Can't wait to see at the end of the year how the first 3 games was soooooo detrimental to his progression.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Why always link Desharnais and Eller ?

I am sick and tired of it.

im sorry your such a fan of his, but ive never rly been truly impressed with him, and i look at his spot and seeing Eller taking over that exact spot in the future (hopefully near), so linking them makes sense to me yeah.

Habtchum*

im sorry your such a fan of his, but ive never rly been truly impressed with him, and i look at his spot and seeing Eller taking over that exact spot in the future (hopefully near), so linking them makes sense to me yeah.

I'm sorry your such a fan of his...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I always use the irony smiley....always....and the few times I don't, there's always somebody who don't pick it up....Come on man...it's irony.

Who said he needed 1st line duty? Oh I don't know maybe the ones who keeps dissing DD and keeps saying that they'd love to see Eller with Pacioretty and Cole to see what he could be able to do? Putting Eller with Cole and Pacioretty....does it qualify for 1st line duty? And "a chance to produce offensively" can happen with other guys that the 1st liners as we prove from time to time, as other teams prove it from time to time as well.

The thing is, this discussion is totally irrelevant and borderline stupid. Who here had this discussion last year? Who suggested to put Eller in an offensive line duty? Clearly, if it happen, nobody would have suggested to replace Pleks did they? No...would have been to replace DD. But people were wise enough to see that DD was amongst the only good news we had last year. Now, that WHOLE line is having some problems for 2 games now. And yet, it's dress Eller bench DD? You need talent in a lineup. Yes, Eller has some talent but so did DD. So I don't agree with a Eller stand watching, but clearly can't agree with a DD stand watching either. But Eller will be watching for his 2nd game in a row....guess what, we lose that one and if Eller respond well, he can have all of the next 45 games to build his confidence....Can't wait to see at the end of the year how the first 3 games was soooooo detrimental to his progression.

Wow, I never seen you so angry.
I've never said that DD should sit out because of Eller. I said Eller needed his chance and yes, I've been saying that since last year. No, I wouldn't ask for Eller to replace Plekanec, because Plekanec is arguably, in the same position than Eller. Even if he's our best center(dont disagree, it would be foolish of you.).
Now, you have to read some posters with some reservations. Alot of people say alot of bs around here, and you should know that.

I wouldn't like to see Eller with Patches and Cole. 3 Puck possession players wouldn't mesh well. He'd fit well with a (what I call)Skilled-grinder(See gionta, Armstrong circa Atlanta.) and a passer(DD).

baldrick

Jul 1, 2005
Not fond of the "it's typical of the Habs board" but I believe that this tendancy of bashing a player to upgrade another is typical of this board and it's sad. So let's sit a guy who was really solid for us last year and has proven that he could succeed in any league for a rather ordinairy start that in the process both of his wingers seems to be having as well. Yet, nobody talks about sitting Pacioretty who looks much worst. Yet, nobody from that line deserve to sit or will ever sit. They work hard, but they are not efficient enough. The "sitting" will always be between the bottom 6 players and maybe Bourque if he goes back in his sleeping mode again.

But while you and I want Eller in the lineup, it doesn't have to be at the detriment of DD. It will be because we need more Eller and surely less of any other bottom 6 players in the lineup like White. Another guy I see as a possibility of sitting as the year progresses is Armstrong. I saw glimpses of Toronto Armstrong and that can't be good. Yet, right now, nobody sits, we had a good game last night, but we will lose soon and Eller will be back.

People are really strange though. Targetting Therrien for maybe screwing a prospect up, yet chances are he'll give every chance he can to.....Gallagher and Galchenyuk which are ALSO pretty young prospects. And Diaz forced Therrien to give him some more icetime. Therrien is CLEARLY open for some new love. And it will be Eller's chance to gain it next time he can play.

But really, while we are a pretty ordinairy team, chances are nobody will ever deserve to be sit. But one or 2 guys will at one point or another. But as a new coach, you don't alienate the vets on your team. By sitting DD, you make him made and you make both of his wingers mad as well. Great way to restart a coaching career.

With all this talk of looking for a scapegoat to get Eller back in the lineup, I'm surprised more people aren't pointing the finger at Armstrong. Our worst forward the last two games IMO.

But either way, it's not a big deal. I have a feeling throughout the season we'll see a lot of bodies rotating in and out. I'm disappointed Eller was scratched, and DD didn't have a great game IMO, but I'm not ready to switch one for the other.

People have DD on such a short leash around here it's incredible. When Eller puts up 60 points, maybe then he'll get that extra rope that Desharnais gets from the coaching staff.

Jeesh, overreact much?
Eller was sat because the coach wanted to send a message, at least that was the initial theory, so silly me assumed that it would be applied to everyone on the team.
Eller is not my boy.
I'm not bashing DD, there were many posts in the PGT critical of him.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Jeesh, overreact much?
Eller was sat because the coach wanted to send a message, at least that was the initial theory, so silly me assumed that it would be applied to everyone on the team.
Eller is not my boy.

Not sure where you saw that my post was directed to you. But if you ended up bashing DD or sending him in the pressbox to make room for Eller so then yes it was directed towards you and others. If not...it wasn't. As far as messages that are directed towards everybody on a team....Seriously? Since when would a guy, especially a coach with his 2nd and surely last stint in the NHL would send in the pressbox some vets to get a message through? If he does, the "message" would be that he's an incompetent that would actually lose his dressing room the fastest in sports history.

beaverBFP

Dec 24, 2008
Winnipeg
Anyone watch le 5 a 7? They had a lockeroom clip of Eller today and asked him if he agrees with MT decision and he said yes, he also needed to play with more grit ad passion. Kid has a great head on his shoulders, I think he'll come back in the lineup with a chip on his shoulder, something to prove.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Jeesh, overreact much?
Eller is not my boy.

Same as WS, I'm not sure what made you think my post was directed specifically at you.

Habsterix*

Anyone watch le 5 a 7? They had a lockeroom clip of Eller today and asked him if he agrees with MT decision and he said yes, he also needed to play with more grit ad passion. Kid has a great head on his shoulders, I think he'll come back in the lineup with a chip on his shoulder, something to prove.
Agreed. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if, at the end of the season, he took over for Desharnais as the second center on the team. I've predicted a break through season for Eller this year and I'm sticking with it.

EDIT: And this is not a knock against Desharnais by the way, but Eller's potential is far more.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

I really liked his answers. Like Michel Therrien new theme, Eller had no excuse. He admits that he wasn't intense enough against the Leafs... but the way he said it, he seems to think he was the only one, which is the absolute truth.

For me, he was the "easy" victim. Therrien would not scratch a veteran and there's plenty of them that were just as bad as Eller in the Leafs game so scratching a player like Eller is the obvious choice.

I'm just sick of hearing the so-called analysts on RDS bashing on Eller big time. One bad game from the whole team and Therrien decides Eller should be the one to pay for everyone, now RDS analyst starts saying he's lazy, out of shape, low IQ, lacks intensity etc..etc... What a bunch of idiots. No one claimed such things after the training camp and no one pointed out Eller's poor performance after the Leafs game. Now that Eller got scratched and the Habs won that game, Eller is the problem in this team.

Desharnais' performance in the last 2 games has been extremely poor but you never heard a word about it in the french media. Not a word.

Eller is definitely the next target for the media. It took one ****ing game.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
I really liked his answers. Like Michel Therrien new theme, Eller had no excuse. He admits that he wasn't intense enough against the Leafs... but the way he said it, he seems to think he was the only one, which is the absolute truth.

For me, he was the "easy" victim. Therrien would not scratch a veteran and there's plenty of them that were just as bad as Eller in the Leafs game so scratching a player like Eller is the obvious choice.

I'm just sick of hearing the so-called analysts on RDS bashing on Eller big time. One bad game from the whole team and Therrien decides Eller should be the one to pay for everyone, now RDS analyst starts saying he's lazy, out of shape, low IQ, lacks intensity etc..etc... What a bunch of idiots. No one claimed such things after the training camp and no one pointed out Eller's poor performance after the Leafs game. Now that Eller got scratched and the Habs won that game, Eller is the problem in this team.

Desharnais' performance in the last 2 games has been extremely poor but you never heard a word about it in the french media. Not a word.

Eller is definitely the next target for the media. It took one ****ing game.

I dont think weve been watching the same rds. They arn't bashing eller like that...

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Makes me wonder why in the HE*L you guys traded for him? It never really looked liked like theres was room for him?

Im not really digging the way some are trash talking Eller, there are a few loverboys out there, but as I see it, far too many of you are in a hurry to blame it on Eller...

Especially after you guys won a game without him, pure hypocrisy.

I don't care what anyone says, NO he has not proven himself, but he has NEVER been given the chance, any Habs fan that thinks differently, either just don't like Eller, or you are being stubborn!

He will never be given a chance to shine for you guys, as I mentioned in an earlier post, Gally is much more talented, and thus will have a longer leash and given more responsibility early on.. Before Eller was traded to the Habs, he would pass the puck, shoot, score for the national team and so on.. Ever since he joined you, he has become a puck hogger for some reason even on the national team...

Again im not bashing your team, or management this is not Montreals fault, nor Ellers it is just pure bad luck..

Danish media are already speculating in an Eller trade or a move to Europe..

I say let him go, PLEASE for Danish Hockey!!! :D

Please take no offence :D

Last edited:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Uh yes they did.

Everything I've said up there, was heard on RDS, mostly on l'antichambre. True story.

If that is true, then I am disgusted, always thought Canadian media was fair at least against their own teams.. But this is ridiculous..

Jesus Lars, get outta this mad house NOW!!!!

Unlike some nations, we cant afford to have a player ruined by a confused organization!

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal

So you actually mean to tell me he is taking the situation like an adult and using it to improve and learn from it instead of pouting and pointing the finger at other players? Shocking! :sarcasm:

Eller will come back stronger for this. Can't wait to see what kind of fire it lights up because all he was lacking was a bit of involvement or intensity as MT called it. He never lacked the tools and the talent. He's a smart kid and he'll fix what they wanted him to fix I'm sure of it.

Gabe84

Bring back Bonk!
Feb 13, 2007
Montreal, QC
Makes me wonder why in the HE*L you guys traded for him? It never really looked liked like theres was room for him?

Im not really digging the way some are trash talking Eller, there are a few loverboys out there, but as I see it, far too many of you are in a hurry to blame it on Eller...

Especially after you guys won a game without him, pure hypocrisy.

I don't care what anyone says, NO he has not proven himself, but he has NEVER been given the chance, any Habs fan that thinks differently, either just don't like Eller, or you are being stubborn!

He will never be given a chance to shine for you guys, as I mentioned in an earlier post, Gally is much more talented, and thus will have a longer leash and given more responsibility early on.. Before Eller was traded to the Habs, he would pass the puck, shoot, score for the national tram and so on.. Ever since he joined you, he has become a puck hogger for some reason even on the national team...

Again im not bashing your team, or management this is not Montreals fault, nor Ellers it is just pure bad luck..

Danish media are already speculating in an Eller trade or a move to Europe..

I say let him go, PLEASE for Danish Hockey!!! :D

Please take no offence :D

When Eller was acquired, our center depth wasn't all that great. Desharnais wasn't part of the plans. We had Gomez and Plekanec, with Plek heading into free agency.

I don't get this whole "he was never given a chance". He has played multiple 20+ mins games over the years and has been used in important roles many times. Just not offensive roles all that much. Mostly because he has never shown he could take a game over offensively except once against Winnipeg.

I hope he steps up this year. But he will have to show he's able to do it before he's given DD or Plekanec spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad