Eller already in the doghouse?

HabsSlappy

Jul 30, 2005
Ontario
WTF? Desharnais didn't struggle. Wow, delusion has taken over this board.

I agree. I thought Desharnais played a good game. He was physically engaged on almost every shift. His hands may have been a little rusty, but we are seeing that with many players right now.
I personally thought his entire line played well.

I think people are overly critical of him simply because they want to see him fail for some mystifying reason.

Timelord

Stanley Cup polisher
Dec 18, 2011

Hockey withdrawal, hangover from the lockout. Sort of like sensory deprivation experiments in which the subjects eventually substitute their own "reality" and hallucinate.:D

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007
Plus DD is playing with two guys who didn't really play during the lock out and looked like they were skating in cement Saturday. They were a bit better yesterday, but still a struggle for Cole and Pacioretty.

True, but you don't judge a player by who he plays with. Desharnais worked hard, but many passes were sloppy and he needs to be better overall (cause he was last year).

That being said, if Eller comes back in, it wont be because Desharnais goes out. Desharnais won his spot last year, and it will take more than 1 "bad" game or 2 to erase what he did.

Habsterix*

Breakfast is served... How many have ordered this?

eatcrow.jpg

Seriously, I've predicted that this would be a break through season for Eller and I still believe it. Therrien will find the right buttons to push. Be patient Habs' fans.

e46330ivs*

yes he did dont kid yourself, he had a hard time keeping the puck on his stick, couldnt win one on one battles like he did last year, the whole line looks a second behind. Am I worried, no, its only 2 games in.

fufonzo

Feb 28, 2004
I thought Desharnais looked poor last game. I found him and Cole were our weakest forwards.

I'm a fan of him and don't think he will or should sit next game, but Eller needs to be in the lineup.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
DD didnt play a good game. Get over it. He killed a few play by holding to the puck for too long. He was lost mentally too and he also took a stupid penalty. But he did some great plays wich might hinder your judgement.

Anyway he'll get it together.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I thought Gallagher played good but another year in Hamilton will help him a lot, Eller and Galchenyuk on the third line with Prust or Moen would look really good.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I thought Gallagher played good but another year in Hamilton will help him a lot, Eller and Galchenyuk on the third line with Prust or Moen would look really good.
If anything, I'd prefer having Gally2 on the team than 1. The energy he brings is contagious. We need players like that.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
If anything, I'd prefer having Gally2 on the team than 1. The energy he brings is contagious. We need players like that.

That's not really lacking on this team...maybe last year. Guys like Prust Bouillon White Cole(not yet) Gionta bring that energy.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Wow yall are drinking what at this time in the morning?

DD played a great game yesterday. Cole hit the post. Pacioretty shot three times in the middle of the goalie's chest. If his linemates would have scored, he'd have 3 -EASY- passes last night.

He created plays. Destroyed Panthers one with his good positioning.

Remove your pink Eller glasses and wake up. Its not because a player you like is out of the line-up and wont be there next game still -because you know ehat the team performed really well without him last night- that you need to find someone else to blame and remove of the line-up for Eller.

Take-out DD and give Eller his spot? Eh boy. Eller's a good shooter, but one of the worst playmaker on the team. What 3 scorers will do on the same line? Uh?

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I don't think it's "Eller glasses" to say DD isn't playing great. He's not the worst person on his line (Cole says hi) but his passing is very off. He had a great hustle play to get involved on the first Markov goal but besides that he was very ineffective. I like how he's always active but if all three people on that line don't improve it will have to be broken up. Desharnais doesn't deserve to be benched at this point, but he needs to cut out the stupid penalties, sloppy passing and holding the puck for too long or this question will return.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That's not really lacking on this team...maybe last year. Guys like Prust Bouillon White Cole(not yet) Gionta bring that energy.

None of them have the good attitude this guy brings. Well maybe White. Theres a difference seeing a old guy play hard like he always did, and a kid never backing down and smiling. It's just so much better for the team. +He can bring it too.

Wow yall are drinking what at this time in the morning?

DD played a great game yesterday. Cole hit the post. Pacioretty shot three times in the middle of the goalie's chest. If his linemates would have scored, he'd have 3 -EASY- passes last night.

He created plays. Destroyed Panthers one with his good positioning.

Remove your pink Eller glasses and wake up. Its not because a player you like is out of the line-up and wont be there next game still -because you know ehat the team performed really well without him last night- that you need to find someone else to blame and remove of the line-up for Eller.

Take-out DD and give Eller his spot? Eh boy. Eller's a good shooter, but one of the worst playmaker on the team. What 3 scorers will do on the same line? Uh?
¸
It's not about downgrading DD for Eller(Wich alot have done if you switch the sides.) It's about DD playing bad, and thats it. No other point.

Saying DD played great is having DD-pink glasses. And I never saw DD(In his whole damn career) destroy a play with his positioning. its just not him, it's his biggest weaknest.

Now this may sound like I don't like the guy, but I do like him. If someone is playing/bad good, I say it.

Now where I may have Eller's pink glasses is on his potential, I don't want him rotting in the damn stands.

Give him some ice time.

DD-Eller-Armstrong should be a competent line, if Armstrong ever wants to skate.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Not fond of the "it's typical of the Habs board" but I believe that this tendancy of bashing a player to upgrade another is typical of this board and it's sad. So let's sit a guy who was really solid for us last year and has proven that he could succeed in any league for a rather ordinairy start that in the process both of his wingers seems to be having as well. Yet, nobody talks about sitting Pacioretty who looks much worst. Yet, nobody from that line deserve to sit or will ever sit. They work hard, but they are not efficient enough. The "sitting" will always be between the bottom 6 players and maybe Bourque if he goes back in his sleeping mode again.

But while you and I want Eller in the lineup, it doesn't have to be at the detriment of DD. It will be because we need more Eller and surely less of any other bottom 6 players in the lineup like White. Another guy I see as a possibility of sitting as the year progresses is Armstrong. I saw glimpses of Toronto Armstrong and that can't be good. Yet, right now, nobody sits, we had a good game last night, but we will lose soon and Eller will be back.

People are really strange though. Targetting Therrien for maybe screwing a prospect up, yet chances are he'll give every chance he can to.....Gallagher and Galchenyuk which are ALSO pretty young prospects. And Diaz forced Therrien to give him some more icetime. Therrien is CLEARLY open for some new love. And it will be Eller's chance to gain it next time he can play.

But really, while we are a pretty ordinairy team, chances are nobody will ever deserve to be sit. But one or 2 guys will at one point or another. But as a new coach, you don't alienate the vets on your team. By sitting DD, you make him made and you make both of his wingers mad as well. Great way to restart a coaching career.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
DD-Eller-Armstrong should be a competent line, if Armstrong ever wants to skate.

With all this talk of looking for a scapegoat to get Eller back in the lineup, I'm surprised more people aren't pointing the finger at Armstrong. Our worst forward the last two games IMO.

But either way, it's not a big deal. I have a feeling throughout the season we'll see a lot of bodies rotating in and out. I'm disappointed Eller was scratched, and DD didn't have a great game IMO, but I'm not ready to switch one for the other.

People have DD on such a short leash around here it's incredible. When Eller puts up 60 points, maybe then he'll get that extra rope that Desharnais gets from the coaching staff.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
For the record I don't think Desharnais should be in discussion for being scratched at this point. But I don't think scoring 60 points one year in an offense-only role gives him a free pass to remain on the first line. Eller is not more important than Desharnais...he is younger and therefore has more room to surprise us at this point, but Desharnais has proven more offensively, even if neither one of them has proven much of anything.

I'm more interested if that line doesn't step up in seeing it broken up, and MAYBE trying Desharnais on the wings depending on who else is in the lineup. And quite frankly if anyone should be accused of disinterest it's Cole, but the same thing was said about him last year for the first few games. Of course some of you blamed Plekanec for Cole's slow start, so you should be no surprised DD is getting the same blame. This player vs player thing is silly though - this team has so few skilled players, nobody should be chased out of town until a great trade comes up or we need to clear cap space.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
For the record I don't think Desharnais should be in discussion for being scratched at this point. But I don't think scoring 60 points one year in an offense-only role gives him a free pass to remain on the first line. Eller is not more important than Desharnais...he is younger and therefore has more room to surprise us at this point, but Desharnais has proven more offensively, even if neither one of them has proven much of anything.

I'm more interested if that line doesn't step up in seeing it broken up, and MAYBE trying Desharnais on the wings depending on who else is in the lineup. And quite frankly if anyone should be accused of disinterest it's Cole, but the same thing was said about him last year for the first few games. Of course some of you blamed Plekanec for Cole's slow start, so you should be no surprised DD is getting the same blame. This player vs player thing is silly though - this team has so few skilled players, nobody should be chased out of town until a great trade comes up or we need to clear cap space.

Great post, man. Listen to this guy.

Habtchum*

Hopefully Eller will get the message. I'd rather have him than Armstrong in the line up.

A Moen-Eller-White line would be fine.

Maverik

Oct 26, 2006
With all this talk of looking for a scapegoat to get Eller back in the lineup, I'm surprised more people aren't pointing the finger at Armstrong. Our worst forward the last two games IMO.

B

Not sure what you are expecting of him. He's playing 10-13 minutes a game on the 4th line and killing penalties. I thought he did a good job in what he's asked to do. He even drew a penalty last night by digging the puck hard in the corner.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
Not sure if this was posted here yet, in his post game conference MT confirmed that lineup won't change for next game.

It's at about 2:30 into this video:

http://www.rds.ca/zone-video/#cat=53&videoID=118951

A journalist asks him if his roster will be identical next game given the performance they had to which he quickly replied: "Yes, it will be identical"

So expect Eller to sit out at least another game.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I like the Habs, but as a dane, I really hope Eller find's a new club...

I don't think he has proven himself yet, but I also don't think he has been given a proper chance yet...

Nor do I think he ever will...

I don't think there is room for him to develope properly on your team..

He clearly does not have the talent that Gally has, and wont be given the same room to improve...

I don't know if he is even suited for the NHL, id actually like to see him in the SEL or KHL, that is if im looking with my Danish National team glasses..

Im not bad mouthing your team or management, I just think Eller is in a bad spot, not his fault, not Montreal's, just bad luck..

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Not sure what you are expecting of him. He's playing 10-13 minutes a game on the 4th line and killing penalties. I thought he did a good job in what he's asked to do. He even drew a penalty last night by digging the puck hard in the corner.

He's been pretty invisible when he's not killing penalties. Haven't seen much hustle, hitting, forechecking, wreaking havoc on the goalie, etc.

I suppose if him being on the team lightens the PK workload for Plekanec then that's a plus in itself, but I kind of expected more...jam, I guess.

Maverik

Oct 26, 2006
I guess he could be a bit more agressive. 2 games in though, and he hasn't been terrible, id cut him some slack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad