Eller already in the doghouse?

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
When Eller was acquired, our center depth wasn't all that great. Desharnais wasn't part of the plans. We had Gomez and Plekanec, with Plek heading into free agency.

I don't get this whole "he was never given a chance". He has played multiple 20+ mins games over the years and has been used in important roles many times. Just not offensive roles all that much. Mostly because he has never shown he could take a game over offensively except once against Winnipeg.

I hope he steps up this year. But he will have to show he's able to do it before he's given DD or Plekanec spot.

I seriously believe that with the role and TOI he was given last season, he did prove himself... 16G with his role.. you guys can't expect more!!

So in context to what allot of you guys expect from him, no I don't think he has been given the chance...

He is sound defensively, so no complaints there... Im not saying Lars is some wonderkid, But I sure as hell don't like that so many Habs fans are jumping on the Lars Eller as scapegoat bandwaggon, after you won a game without him...

Sorry if im offending anyone, not my intention..

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I dont think weve been watching the same rds. They arn't bashing eller like that...
You know RDS just needs a scapegoat. Now that AK is gone its Eller. They said he was out of shape and soft...
Makes me wonder why in the HE*L you guys traded for him? It never really looked liked like theres was room for him?

Im not really digging the way some are trash talking Eller, there are a few loverboys out there, but as I see it, far too many of you are in a hurry to blame it on Eller...

Especially after you guys won a game without him, pure hypocrisy.

I don't care what anyone says, NO he has not proven himself, but he has NEVER been given the chance, any Habs fan that thinks differently, either just don't like Eller, or you are being stubborn!

He will never be given a chance to shine for you guys, as I mentioned in an earlier post, Gally is much more talented, and thus will have a longer leash and given more responsibility early on.. Before Eller was traded to the Habs, he would pass the puck, shoot, score for the national team and so on.. Ever since he joined you, he has become a puck hogger for some reason even on the national team...

Again im not bashing your team, or management this is not Montreals fault, nor Ellers it is just pure bad luck..

Danish media are already speculating in an Eller trade or a move to Europe..

I say let him go, PLEASE for Danish Hockey!!! :D

Please take no offence :D
I don't get why you'd want him back in your country.. And even in Europe.. He's good enough for the big league, let him play there ? He could be a 2C in many cities. (Unlike what some think...) And you should bash our management. Eller has been handled poorly.
If that is true, then I am disgusted, always thought Canadian media was fair at least against their own teams.. But this is ridiculous..

Jesus Lars, get outta this mad house NOW!!!!

Unlike some nations, we cant afford to have a player ruined by a confused organization!
Yep, Habs media are like that. Unless you're french. If you are then you're a demi-god.
When Eller was acquired, our center depth wasn't all that great. Desharnais wasn't part of the plans. We had Gomez and Plekanec, with Plek heading into free agency.

I don't get this whole "he was never given a chance". He has played multiple 20+ mins games over the years and has been used in important roles many times. Just not offensive roles all that much. Mostly because he has never shown he could take a game over offensively except once against Winnipeg.

I hope he steps up this year. But he will have to show he's able to do it before he's given DD or Plekanec spot.

You said it yourself...
Giving the chance to a player is an offensive chance. He never had a sustained one.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
You know RDS just needs a scapegoat. Now that AK is gone its Eller. They said he was out of shape and soft...

I don't get why you'd want him back in your country.. And even in Europe.. He's good enough for the big league, let him play there ? He could be a 2C in many cities. (Unlike what some think...) And you should bash our management. Eller has been handled poorly.

Yep, Habs media are like that. Unless you're french. If you are then you're a demi-god.

You said it yourself...
Giving the chance to a player is an offensive chance. He never had a sustained one.

Well I don't wan't him back in Denmark... NO WAY!! But the SEL or KHL would be profitable for the danish national team, as he would be available to play in the OG Qual's in the future..

He would also get a chance to shine... I also think he has what it takes, but as I said, I dont see him being traded and he is not given the chance on the Habs...

Sooo I think his NHL career will end before it even starts!

Well color me dissapointed at RDS!!!

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Well I don't wan't him back in Denmark... NO WAY!! But the SEL or KHL would be profitable for the danish national team, as he would be available to play in the OG Qual's in the future..

He would also get a chance to shine... I also think he has what it takes, but as I said, I dont see him being traded and he is not given the chance on the Habs...

Unless he can find a 2C spot somewhere. A possibility is New York Islanders, maybe in some trade with Nino Niederreiter.
For Islanders Frans Nielsen can be moved from 2C to 3C and Lars Ellers playing 2C at least until Ryan Strome is more ready for that spot. As you often do in soccer clubs (especially Holland knows that - long tradition for it in Ajax) when you bring danish players together on the team they generally play better.
Niederreiter would bring a lot of offensive bulk to a lightweight Montreal.
Islanders would though probably try to get more than just Eller for him, but if Niederreiter really wants to leave...then its businessmans-tactics

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Unless he can find a 2C spot somewhere. A possibility is New York Islanders, maybe in some trade with Nino Niederreiter.
For Islanders Frans Nielsen can be moved from 2C to 3C and Lars Ellers playing 2C at least until Ryan Strome is more ready for that spot. As you often do in soccer clubs (especially Holland knows that - long tradition for it in Ajax) when you bring danish players together on the team they generally play better.
Niederreiter would bring a lot of offensive bulk to a lightweight Montreal.
Islanders would though probably try to get more than just Eller for him, but if Niederreiter really wants to leave...then its businessmans-tactics

On another note:

I feel so sorry for the Isles, no one wants to play there.....

I just don't see any team taking a chance with him on 2c over a long period..

Gabe84

Bring back Bonk!
Feb 13, 2007
Montreal, QC

RDS is a tv channel. They have no say in what the Canadiens do.

Eller's fine. You're way overreacting. Good players sat before him, good players will sit games in the future.

It's just 2 games.

fufonzo

Feb 28, 2004
On another note:

I feel so sorry for the Isles, no one wants to play there.....

I just don't see any team taking a chance with him on 2c over a long period..
It's their own fault. No sympathy at all for that franchise.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
RDS is a tv channel. They have no say in what the Canadiens do.

Eller's fine. You're way overreacting. Good players sat before him, good players will sit games in the future.

It's just 2 games.

As I said, im not blaming your franchise :)

I was voicing my opinion on RDS as seperate thing from the Canadiens..

I hope I am overreacting, I just don't see Eller get the chance... Sadly so..
It's not just that he is sitting two or more games, it's just the way he has been used, he is not utilized to his best and never will be in Montreal imo.

It's their own fault. No sympathy at all for that franchise.

Ok - Well then I feel sorry for their fans, hardly their fault...

Last edited:

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
If going forward this season, our organisation feel more confortable with Galchenyuk as the third line center, we might trade Eller.

A trade i would look for, is Eller vs Kassian. Dreger said yesterday that Vancouver is looking for a young center and the Habs need a powerforward with skill + meanstreak for years.

That would be fair.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
If going forward this season, our organisation feel more confortable with Galchenyuk as the third line center, we might trade Eller.

A trade i would look for, is Eller vs Kassian. Dreger said yesterday that Vancouver is looking for a young center and the Habs need a powerforward with skill + meanstreak for years.

That would be fair.

IMO Kassian is untouchable, we just got the kid :D

Jensen/Kassian - Gaunce - Kassian/Jensen is a future line for us :yo:

Habtchum*

Wow,too much hate against Eller around here

Don't use that word.

A big majority likes Eller. But they are not overating him.

I want him back on the line up a.s.a.p, but where he belongs, asva winger on the top-two lines or as a center on one of the two. Bottom lines.

warsawyak

Sep 17, 2002
Warsaw, PL
Not sure where you saw that my post was directed to you. But if you ended up bashing DD or sending him in the pressbox to make room for Eller so then yes it was directed towards you and others. If not...it wasn't. As far as messages that are directed towards everybody on a team....Seriously? Since when would a guy, especially a coach with his 2nd and surely last stint in the NHL would send in the pressbox some vets to get a message through? If he does, the "message" would be that he's an incompetent that would actually lose his dressing room the fastest in sports history.
If you call David Desharnais a 'vet' after his one full season as a Montreal Canadien, than Lars Eller should be called a 'seasoned vet', as he has two full seasons as a Hab under his belt.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
If you call David Desharnais a 'vet' after his one full season as a Montreal Canadien, than Lars Eller should be called a 'seasoned vet', as he has two full seasons as a Hab under his belt.

He probably should have been in the AHL his first year though.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Wow,too much hate against Eller around here

Most around here love Eller and have been defending him since day 1 but besides that 1 game against the Jets he hasn't been spectacular and shouldn't be pencilled in for every game. He has plenty of work to do

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Ultimately, Eller has played very well for the Canadiens given the role he was put into it, his production is solid and respectable given his linemates, quality of opposition, zone starts, and ice time. He also showed substantial improvement between his first and second season.

However, I'm more and more resigning myself to the reality that current Habs management may very well be vastly more incompetent than even the previous managements. We may very well lose both Lars Eller and PK Subban. Unless this is all an illusion, It will be several long years in the basement of the eastern conference before Marc Bergevin is fired by Geoff Molson.

BobbyFischer*

Ultimately, Eller has played very well for the Canadiens given the role he was put into it, his production is solid and respectable given his linemates, quality of opposition, zone starts, and ice time. He also showed substantial improvement between his first and second season.

However, I'm more and more resigning myself to the reality that current Habs management may very well be vastly more incompetent than even the previous managements. We may very well lose both Lars Eller and PK Subban. Unless this is all an illusion, It will be several long years in the basement of the eastern conference before Marc Bergevin is fired by Geoff Molson.

What?

Why would we lose Eller? I think he will play great under Therrien, probably will play with much more intensity and be much more effective.

Gabe84

Bring back Bonk!
Feb 13, 2007
Montreal, QC

Holy overreaction.

Bergevin barely made any moves. He may end up being a total catastrophe, but maybe wait a bit more than one week into his first season as a GM?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Holy overreaction.

Bergevin barely made any moves. He may end up being a total catastrophe, but maybe wait a bit more than one week into his first season as a GM?

He's not a week into his job, he's had his job since last summer. Thus far I don't like what I've seen of him.

I'd love to be wrong, but he's off to a bad start in my opinion.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
I don't like this situation as I don't feel DD is a long term top 2 centre option. Trading Eller now would be a mistake, he needs to be put into the top 2 lines with decent linemates if we expect him to play to such levels.

Dharvey33

Apr 30, 2010
He's not a week into his job, he's had his job since last summer. Thus far I don't like what I've seen of him.

I'd love to be wrong, but he's off to a bad start in my opinion.

He couldn't do nothing when the lockout was on.

If he trades Subban and get an horrible return i guess it will cost him his job, it's a lot more safe to sign him.

On Eller one of the 3 centers is gonna have to be traded, Eller fits the profile as a scape goat but still since he was traded for Halak he must hold more value to the organisation or it would have mean they did a bad trade with St louis ( which they did should have asked for Oshie or Berglund but whatever)

I like Eller a lot and i think he can be a 2nd line center but maybe because he is shy coach think he lacks intensity, for what i have seen him play the last 2 years he had some good nights and some bad nights just like everyone but he was never soft, always battled for the puck and played a reliable defensive game.

This kid deserves to play.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He couldn't do nothing when the lockout was on.

If he trades Subban and get an horrible return i guess it will cost him his job, it's a lot more safe to sign him.

On Eller one of the 3 centers is gonna have to be traded, Eller fits the profile as a scape goat but still since he was traded for Halak he must hold more value to the organisation or it would have mean they did a bad trade with St louis ( which they did should have asked for Oshie or Berglund but whatever)

I like Eller a lot and i think he can be a 2nd line center but maybe because he is shy coach think he lacks intensity, for what i have seen him play the last 2 years he had some good nights and some bad nights just like everyone but he was never soft, always battled for the puck and played a reliable defensive game.

This kid deserves to play.
Trade Oshie for a journeyman Goaltender ? Who wasnt even signed ?
We got a good return. Eller was a top pick in his draft and had/has plenty of promise. Now will he develop into a second liner ? I doubt it. But it's not because of PG actually.

I don't like this situation as I don't feel DD is a long term top 2 centre option. Trading Eller now would be a mistake, he needs to be put into the top 2 lines with decent linemates if we expect him to play to such levels.

Well better trade him right now than see him become Kostitsyn II

firewagon77*

Bergevin rebuild the team that's why they brought you in to repair the damage of gainey and gauthier,start trading Cole,Gionta,Markov go and pick up some size like niederreiter,some centers like kuznetsov and coyle some draft picks,so far bergevin your performance gets a CF complete failure.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
The correct role for Eller to help the team win is in some kind of depth defensive role behind Plekanec and lots of penalty kill time.

But people shouldn't compare his bottom line time to that of Desharnais or now Galchenyuk. Those two played in a depth offense role, given an offensive winger and sent out in offensive situations to get scoring away from the top lines.

Desharnais had Pouliot and Darche, two depth offensive players that have consistently scored at a top 6 pace on ES in supporting roles on offense. The only comparable guy Eller got was Kostitsyn and they had no problems scoring together. Heck, Leblanc on a call up had decent production with Eller.If your top linemate is Moen, your set to be good defensively but you're not going to score at a good clip.

Just because a line is listed 3rd or 4th in the depth chart doesn't mean their roles are the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad