Eller already in the doghouse?

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
He has no confidence, don't look elsewhere. He seems mentally fragile.

The interesting thing is the Godin piece that starts off with the Eller = Jan Bulis headline then goes into how Bulis himself could have ended up better if teams showed faith in him instead of shifting him around to different roles.

CN_paladin

Jan 22, 2007
Westeros
Eller needs someone soothing who can boost his confidence. Having a Danish girlfriend might stabilize him as much as what Angela did for Price.

Knowing Therrien, I am sure Eller will get further opportunities to prove himself!

e46330ivs*

Move Eller to center and put DD on the wing.

then what??? werent you crying he had no linemates last week, wan wan wan.... enough......... just let the kid play, nothing you say or do will change is outcome its up to him.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
then what??? werent you crying he had no linemates last week, wan wan wan.... enough......... just let the kid play, nothing you say or do will change is outcome its up to him.

His linemates have been just as bad, the no excuses thing applies to all three of them. So of Eller looks out of position and Desharnais outmatched... Maybe flipping them could benefit everyone?

Last edited:

bigtimehockeyfan999*

if he is in the doghouse..we all know what happened the last time he went up against winnipeg.....:sarcasm:

Mag1328

Aug 9, 2006
Hi guys. Just hopping on to give a few observations regarding my piece on Eller.

First, it would be wrong to read it as "Eller is the new Bulis". They're not the same player, Eller has more offensive upside.
My point is that a player needs a chair, needs to have a precise role within a team in order to be successful. In order to achieve that, a player has to brings forward a "dimension", as Trevor Timmins described me several times. By dimension I mean that among the NHL skills a player has, one has to stand out so that the player can build his hockey identity around it and always rely on it. A guy like Bulis, who had some qualities, couldn't really find a role, either in Washington or in Montreal, because nothing was really standing out. His hockey identity always left Bob Gainey wondering.
Who knows, maybe a guy like Louis Leblanc could face that too at the NHL level, we'll see.
As for Eller, he clearly has some skills - again, superior skills than Bulis. But so far neither his speed, his shot, his defensive potential and clearly not his vision, no dimension has helped him establishing his role.
Part of that job is the coach's. He's got to help the kid pan out. I'm fully aware that bouncing the kid around isn't helping his stability. But Eller is now at his 3rd coach in Montreal and his situation remains murky. He's class of 2007, it's time for him to step up. And it's time for his fans to stop seeing it simply as a Desharnais vs Eller debate.
I like the kid and I want him to succeed. But for now, what I see is a player who tends to do too much, who keeps the puck for too long who and doesn't see his linemates often enough. Maybe there's a sense in him that he wants to prove that he's got the talent and that he can do it all by himself.
So what now?
Pacioretty is out for a month and Eller has now a chance to define his identity with a clearer offensive mandate albeit as a winger. He's playing with good players so it's up to him. If Galchenyuk runs with a centerman job, Eller's future in Montreal will have likely be as a winger. He's got to be open to make the switch and force his way into the top 6. I bet that down the road, Michel Therrien will be happy to have an option when Bourque hits the snooze button...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad