TSN: Elite Speculation from Bob Mackenzie re: The Leafs

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
This is a game changer thread Darkside. This is the dawn of a new era for thread titles, where the use of just Elite will no longer suffice in describing prospects etc. We're moving into Ultra Elite type territory now.

While I wouldn't call this a "legit" #1 thread, it's definitely in the conversation for a generational utility thread.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Pre-season is going to be super fun this year. If we do a split squad game, we could see almost 2 full rosters full of NHL ready forwards!

JVR, Matthews, Kadri, Bozak, Holland, Komarov, Greening, Laich, Michalek, Lupul, Martin, Nylander, Soshnikov, Hyman, Brown, Rychel, Leipsic, Leivo, Kapenan, Marner, and Gauthier.

Thats 21 guys.

Just for fun:

JVR - Kadri - Brown
Komarov - Nylander - Marner
Leipsic - Holland - Johnson
Lindberg - Gauthier - Martin

Lupul - Matthews - Hyman
Soshnikov - Bozak - Kapanen
Leivo - Laich - Greening
Prust - Froese - Michalek

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
They'll send down all the kids that don't require waivers. It's not "elite" is common sense.

This is the mindset we should all have in regards to our opening night roster. I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see Marner sent back to junior based on someone having earned the spot and Mitch being the victim of the circumstance.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I think Greening deserves to stay, but at the same time he probably has the most value out of them all. I like the idea of keeping Laich around, so I'd move Michalek and Lupul if possible.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think Greening deserves to stay, but at the same time he probably has the most value out of them all. I like the idea of keeping Laich around, so I'd move Michalek and Lupul if possible.
I'd think Michalek has the most value to a veteran team. I think we can move Michalek if we retain 50% and get a decent pick back. I'd be fine with using 1 retention spot to do that.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The group with the shortest leash coming in camp:

1) Lupul
2) Holland
3) Leivo
4) Corrado

Greening earned a bit of brownie points down the stretch with his play and effort.

ForSpareParts*

This is the mindset we should all have in regards to our opening night roster. I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see Marner sent back to junior based on someone having earned the spot and Mitch being the victim of the circumstance.

No we shouldn't. The future is now. What could we possibly lose if the Leafs have more rookies in the line-up then you're comfortable with?

I only:consider Matthews and Marner to be rookies. Everyone else hardly needs anymore AHL experience.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Greening produced at a 40 point pace and had good possession stats. Definitely room for him.

Laich is a good vet, you can definitely keep him around as a 13th forward/locker room presence.

No need for Michalek imo.
I have to agree with you, Greening looked good for the Leafs, Laiche is a pro who handles himself well, but can he outplay others? Michalek is the unknown, imo don't know how good or healthy he'll be. As for Lupul, I'd be happy if he just faded away. Really, the plan could be to ride the season out with the vets for another year until you can trade whoever, whenever, and backfill with youth. Logically that's the smart move, although it holds back the development of the kids another season.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Greening produced at a 40 point pace and had good possession stats. Definitely room for him.

Laich is a good vet, you can definitely keep him around as a 13th forward/locker room presence.

Will be given the chance because he waived his NTC to come to the leafs.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Michalek is playing on the top line for the Czechs with Tomas Plekanec, and Jakub Voracek in the World Cup.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
What's the rush? What's the harm in playing a few vets in the final years of their contracts? 55 games or so and the team can see whether they can sell some of these veterans high. Two of these guys, Lupul and Michalek are highly likely just to break down physically anyways making room for youth.

Impatience isn't a virtue of a rebuilding professional sports franchise. 4 rookies is a lot.

So if the vets break down, they have zero value and it would be pointless to play them over more deserving kids.

And I don't see any of them returning more than a 3rd, possibly 4th. But if you can get rid of a vet (waivers, etc.) and have cap room, then you can make deals like the Winnik deal where you get a second and Connor Carrick because you have cap space. Much better return than trying to sell off junk at the deadline.

deuce457

Nov 28, 2010
did we really need bob mackenzie to say this to make a thread?? the exact sentiments have probably been stated 300 times in other posts this summer.

these guys are referred to as insiders, but everything i hear just seems extremely obviously.

maybe next week he will go out on a limb and say that Polak may play a physical game but not bring much offence to the table.

TheSeed

Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
I say you play Lupul until he gets hurt, then you have the 5+ Million in cap space after the first 15 games.

If Joffrey has proven anything, it's that he'll give Lou a way to throw him on the LTIR

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I say you play Lupul until he gets hurt, then you have the 5+ Million in cap space after the first 15 games.

If Joffrey has proven anything, it's that he'll give Lou a way to throw him on the LTIR

Have they not already removed Lupuls stall in the dressing room? I doubt he will come back.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
In what regards? the Leafs did it to the following:

Stalock
Torres
Robidas.

the only thing the Leafs have to do is pay the bills (which they will) they don't have to have him anywhere near the team if they don't want.they are not obligated to have him play.

No, you guys are right. I was thinking LTIR, but then, if he's not injured, we couldn't put him there anyways. So... yeah, just wasn't thinking.:laugh:

... although, having said that, Cowen did hint at a grievance over sending him home last year, so maybe it is a possibility. It's hard to see the league dictating to a team to put a player in the lineup but at the same time, if the Leafs are sitting him while he believes he can still play, he could argue that being forced to sit out a year due to team bias is detrimental to his future earnings potential. Don't think there's any precedent on that though. Whatever the case, given that his career is at stake, I don't seem him going softly into that good night.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It's not a rush - it's a matter of many young Leaf players are ready for prime time and rebuilding teams should give opportunity to younger guys to let them further their development.

At least 4 rookies are going to play on this team to start the season without a veteran purge. That's enough. If the young players are in fact ready for prime time, they'll be ready for it in January, March or October 2017 as well. And they'll be less likely to be playing on a team that has little chance for success because it has 8 rookies in its lineup. And they won't be moving off of their ELCs with the leverage of having played an extra full NHL season (=cost control).

A little bit of gratification delay works with most things: diet, personal finance, romance and sports team rebuilds.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't really consider some of the players fighting for roles complete rookies. Players like Brown, Hyman, Leivo, Soshnikov and even Zaitsev have played pro hockey at least a year and are much older than your prototypical rookie. Nylander, Matthews and Kapanen have at least some pro experience despite them being young.

The only true rookie that's is completely green from pro hockey with a great shot at making the Leafs is Marner at this point.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if this team had between 6 to 8 "rookies" in the lineup and the Marlies had a couple high salaried waived players.

We have plenty of young veterans in the lineup, as well as a couple older veterans to help out the team. I don't care at all for Holland, Greening, Lupul, Michalek, etc and what happens to them because they won't be here past this year. I'm all about development and someone like Leivo won't ever develop if he's in the AHL, same for Soshnikov and whoever else. If they come to camp and play better than a veteran, they should stay.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Vets verses Rooks

Michalek, Lupul, Greening, Laich, Holland and potentially Prust?

verses

Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Soshnikov, Hyman, Brown, Leivo

Battling for roster spots at forward, going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

JVR, Bozak, Kadri, Martin and Komarov spots all secure baring a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad