TSN: Elite Speculation from Bob Mackenzie re: The Leafs

buttman*

You can't Robidas a player who doesn't want to be Robidas'd.

Lupul would file a grievance with the PA.

Yep, and he won't file. Why? Why did the NHLPA allow the league to void Richard's deal? What does Lou have on Lupul?

Mad Brills*

Probably nothing, but he was in an Ad for the eaton centre this spring, was taken down this summer.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yep, and he won't file. Why? Why did the NHLPA allow the league to void Richard's deal? What does Lou have on Lupul?

As long as the Leafs are paying Lupul I don't know what his recourse is. He can agree to terminate his contract with the Leafs but he'd be missing out on like 10M which he won't get if he signs a new contract with some other teams.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I can see Shanny and Lou and Babs not wanting any vets around that are a bad influence on the younger players. How they handle the Lupul situation will be interesting. If he tries to pull a Cowan and take on management it could get ugly.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I can see Shanny and Lou and Babs not wanting any vets around that are a bad influence on the younger players. How they handle the Lupul situation will be interesting. If he tries to pull a Cowan and take on management it could get ugly.

How so?

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare

He's kind of broken down and past it at this point. He could sit at home and collect 5.25M this year instead of having to work for it.

How many years does Lupul really have left after this contract? If he was available this summer he'd be in PTO territory already.

buttman*

As long as the Leafs are paying Lupul I don't know what his recourse is. He can agree to terminate his contract with the Leafs but he'd be missing out on like 10M which he won't get if he signs a new contract with some other teams.

It has nore to do with Lupul going on LTIR.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa

It would be a distraction that takes away from the feel-good stories and positive energy surrounding the team. I think management wants to move on from the carnage of the recent past - as quietly as possible. Say the Cowan can of worms escalates...then Lupul and his camp starts making waves. Not a great way to start the Centennial season.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It has nore to do with Lupul going on LTIR.

He *could* say his body is too banged up to play, and if he hasn't worked out this summer or anything he won't be cleared to play. Could fail fitness/medical test.

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
I trust Lou will do everything is can do get Lupul out of town. Aside from being a human cast, his peter pan complex is not desired. We don't need him infecting our sweet child, Auston.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

In what regards? the Leafs did it to the following:

Stalock
Torres
Robidas.

the only thing the Leafs have to do is pay the bills (which they will) they don't have to have him anywhere near the team if they don't want.they are not obligated to have him play.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Lupul should pursue the modelling career he wants and collect his $5.25M cheque from the Leafs as a bonus.

However, I think he will play and get injured in December. Imo Michalek is the guy that doesn't fit in, and could actually be traded.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I don't feel like Soshnikov is 100% ready. He is passable, but since we don't need him, prime minutes in the AHL is better for him.

Otherwise you have competitions. Marner or Brown. Unless you want to totally change the fabric of the team, only one will make it. Brown is an NHL player, but he is also a leader who can go to the AHL without waivers. The Marlies need vets with leadership and experience. Plus, as good as Brown is, Marner is better and Brown in the AHL is probably better than Marner in the OHL. Then the 4RW competition.

Other than that, you are looking at trading one of Michalek, Laich, Greening, JVR, Bozak, etc. in order to open up spots. I doubt that happens right away. Holland and Lupul are also options, but they technically do not have a spot and will almolst be shipped out or put on the LTIR (in the case of Lupul). These are the trades I see happening.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Lupul should pursue the modelling career he wants and collect his $5.25M cheque from the Leafs as a bonus.

However, I think he will play and get injured in December. Imo Michalek is the guy that doesn't fit in, and could actually be traded.

Michalek was rumoured to be acquired by us in order to be a quick flip. Apparently he was wanted by someone, but maybe it was contingent on his performance this coming year. He was also rumoured to be someone to ease the rookies in and act as a mentor. Either or both is realistic (latter probably more so). My money is still on Holland and maybe Lupul at forward, and really in general.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Michalek was rumoured to be acquired by us in order to be a quick flip. Apparently he was wanted by someone, but maybe it was contingent on his performance this coming year. He was also rumoured to be someone to ease the rookies in and act as a mentor. Either or both is realistic (latter probably more so). My money is still on Holland and maybe Lupul at forward, and really in general.

Babcock did not like Holland

I will say I have read good things about Michalek in a locker room setting via the Sens fans on this board.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

I will say I have read good things about Michalek in a locker room setting via the Sens fans on this board.

which is why i am still surprised they qualified him. especially when we're full at the inn/

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Which is why he will probably be traded. He still has value, but what it is depends on the team. I feel like Chicago would be good for him. They love good complementary players, and Holland is young and cheap to boot. Plus they desperately need someone like him.

If they only move Holland, then it is a job well done. Anything more will be bonus, and will open up even more opportunities. Buying out Cowen would be nice.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

There is nothing in the CBA about being played, only being paid.
Remember when the Habs sent Gomez home for the year because they didn't want him getting injured for the buyout?
Nothing is stopping the Leafs sending Lupul to the Marlies to collect his pay check. Sure he can ask for a trade and we will do our best in the next 2 years to accommodate this.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
which is why i am still surprised they qualified him. especially when we're full at the inn/

Which is why he will probably be traded. He still has value, but what it is depends on the team. I feel like Chicago would be good for him. They love good complementary players, and Holland is young and cheap to boot. Plus they desperately need someone like him.

If they only move Holland, then it is a job well done. Anything more will be bonus, and will open up even more opportunities. Buying out Cowen would be nice.

What else could they get for Holland? Hope for an injury with another team and trade him for an AHL player and a 5-7th draft pick? I mean...he went through waivers unclaimed.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It's pretty clear he Leafs have too many bodies at forward. They were even overcrowded before the a holland/Levio signings.

Cut the era if they're dead weight. I'd love to see a quality dressing room guy down in the Marlies bringing his experience to the younger prospects.

None of Greening/Laich/Michalek should be given a job without earning it. Ami doubt the Leafs even let Lupulconpete for a job - he was essentially cut off the team before last season ended

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What's the rush? What's the harm in playing a few vets in the final years of their contracts? 55 games or so and the team can see whether they can sell some of these veterans high. Two of these guys, Lupul and Michalek are highly likely just to break down physically anyways making room for youth.

Impatience isn't a virtue of a rebuilding professional sports franchise. 4 rookies is a lot.

It's not a rush - it's a matter of many young Leaf players are ready for prime time and rebuilding teams should give opportunity to younger guys to let them further their development.

Most of the older guys on the team are dead weight anyways

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I seriously, do not get the Michalek, Greening, Laich hate, other than the fact that they aren't our babies. I bet you anything that Laich will be offered another contract with the Leafs (just at fewer cap hits).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad