ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I'd personally go with:

JvR - Kadri - Nylander
Komarov - Matthews - Marner
Michalek - Bozak - Brown
Hyman - Laich - Martin

Holland, Sosh, Leivo all close. I think Sosh could make the team over one of Brown/Marner, hard to call, and Laich/Holland are probably competing for the same spot too. I do think the Martin signing means one of Marner/Sosh/Brown gets cut, while before that signing we had room for all 3. IMO Lupul and Greening don't have much of a shot to make the team.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I had lines done up before but WCOH has me changing my mind, and maybe Babcock too but I can't see Matthews on a 3rd line for long

Komarov-Kadri-Brown
JVR-Matthews-Nylander
Leivo-Bozak-Marner
Martin-Laich-Hyman
Michalek, Greening

Rielly-Marincin
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Hunwick-Carrick
Polak

Andersen
Enroth

Soshnikov, Lupul, Rychel, Holland looking on the outside for me. Rychel and Sosh gonna need to wait for injuries or trade to get back up.

Personally, I'd rather see Soshnikov or Rychel in the spot you placed Leivo. I just feel like they are both a better fit. Otherwise, I don't have any issues with this forward group as a starting point.

Beyond that, the only issue I have with the group is that I would absolutely not play Marincin in the #2 spot. We don't have really anyone that is a great option there, granted, but we can do a lot better than Marincin who, quite frankly, isn't good at anything.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
this is a good problem to have... if the kids prove themselves then out the door for the vets. If not, then we have the vets in to fill in the mean time.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'd personally go with:

JvR - Kadri - Nylander
Michalek - Bozak - Brown
Hyman - Laich - Martin

Holland, Sosh, Leivo all close. I think Sosh could make the team over one of Brown/Marner, hard to call, and Laich/Holland are probably competing for the same spot too. I do think the Martin signing means one of Marner/Sosh/Brown gets cut, while before that signing we had room for all 3. IMO Lupul and Greening don't have much of a shot to make the team.

Greening has an excellent shot to make the team. He was one of the Leafs best forwards post deadline.

I don't think Soshnikov has much of a chance. Leivo, Rychel, Hyman and Holland are all ahead of him on the depth chart for the spot that he'd be fighting for. Plus, it's probably better to have him in a top 6 role than a 4th line role next year anyways. Hyman, Leivo or Rychel would excel beside Laich and Martin, and may even be able to help the line produce some points. I still think trading Holland would be the best course of action, and should happen in the next few weeks.

Mr Hockey*

Greening has an excellent shot to make the team. He was one of the Leafs best forwards post deadline.

I don't think Soshnikov has much of a chance. Leivo, Rychel, Hyman and Holland are all ahead of him on the depth chart for the spot that he'd be fighting for. Plus, it's probably better to have him in a top 6 role than a 4th line role next year anyways. Hyman, Leivo or Rychel would excel beside Laich and Martin, and may even be able to help the line produce some points. I still think trading Holland would be the best course of action, and should happen in the next few weeks.

I have listened to a lot of leaf management interviews, etc. You would be surprised at how highly Soshnikov is thought of.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

The thing that sticks out to me is: Leafs knew signing guys like Hopland and Levio they knew they'd be under a crunch to create space in the roster, because if they thought they'd likely end up waiving Holland I doubt they'd go through the trouble of inking him. Same goes for trading for a near ready for prime time Rychel who was unhappy with his icetime with the Blue Jackets organization.

Which makes me assume management have a plan to clear up roster spots.

Way too many forwards on the Leafs need jobs. Someone gotta give....

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The thing that sticks out to me is: Leafs knew signing guys like Hopland and Levio they knew they'd be under a crunch to create space in the roster, because if they thought they'd likely end up waiving Holland I doubt they'd go through the trouble of inking him. Same goes for trading for a near ready for prime time Rychel who was unhappy with his icetime with the Blue Jackets organization.

or they wanted competition (like Shanahan said), and have a full stocked roster/marlies squad like last year?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I'd personally go with:

JvR - Kadri - Nylander
Michalek - Bozak - Brown
Hyman - Laich - Martin

I would change Nylander and Marner. Marner and Komarov are both very energetic in their styles, something no one else really is in the top six. So have one of each on the lines and it is better balanced.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013

I'm sure they set up this logjam at forward deliberately. The internal competition will be intense and with so many options any one underperforming will be replaced swiftly by someone more deserving on the Marlies. The only thing that concerns me is losing a guy like Leivo for nothing cause he's shown he can score at this level and will a solid depth goal scorer at the least IMO

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
or they wanted competition (like Shanahan said), and have a full stocked roster/marlies squad like last year?

Probably a lot to do with it - but I'd say there's a pretty high chance the Leafs make a contract clearing trade before the home opener.

Did so last year to clear up the Marlies with that Grabner trade, may see it again for the Leafs.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Probably a lot to do with it - but I'd say there's a pretty high chance the Leafs make a contract clearing trade before the home opener.

Did so last year to clear up the Marlies with that Grabner trade, may see it again for the Leafs.

maybe.
but i mean, it shouldn't be seen as a "well this is what they are going to do." like a lot of people here (and in media) are like oohoo maybe the Leafs will set up a trade (which - again could be likely, it wouldn't surprise me) - but Shanahan flat out said that he wants every player to earn their spot. regardless of who they are. (like obviously some people are a given - ie: Matthews) but it doesn't surprise me that we've got a massive log-jam.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Pre-season is going to be super fun this year. If we do a split squad game, we could see almost 2 full rosters full of NHL ready forwards!

JVR, Matthews, Kadri, Bozak, Holland, Komarov, Greening, Laich, Michalek, Lupul, Martin, Nylander, Soshnikov, Hyman, Brown, Rychel, Leipsic, Leivo, Kapenan, Marner, and Gauthier.

Thats 21 guys.

Who needs FA's next year.Develop your own kids & pay them when the time comes.Also,imagine that if the Leafs carry 13 forwards,then 8 of those guys might be wearing a different jersey this season.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If Michalek shines at the World Cup, maybe a suitor comes forward, maybe his brother's team?

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
I'd personally go with:

JvR - Kadri - Nylander
Michalek - Bozak - Brown
Hyman - Laich - Martin

... You're almost identical with my thoughts on this. Only difference is I'd switch JVR and Komarov.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If Michalek stays healthy, he will absolutely draw interest from clubs around the league that are looking to fill out their top 9. He's an established big bodied forward that can put the puck in the net, and he's in the final year of his contract.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I'd personally go with:

JvR - Kadri - Nylander
Michalek - Bozak - Brown
Hyman - Laich - Martin

I think it's definitely Sosh over Brown, going by Babcock's statements on Soshnikov and Hyman being NHLers.

Holland is either in minors or dealt. And I have this feeling that it might be Lupul instead of Michalek ... but yeah. One of them at the very least has to get dealt or buried.

It's so difficult though! I know every time I try making a lineup, I leave out a player or two who should be there ...something's gotta give before the season starts. Whoever comes out to camp playing a bit flat or lifeless is going to find themselves without a spot!

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I think it's definitely Sosh over Brown, going by Babcock's statements on Soshnikov and Hyman being NHLers.

Holland is either in minors or dealt. And I have this feeling that it might be Lupul instead of Michalek ... but yeah. One of them at the very least has to get dealt or buried.

It's so difficult though! I know every time I try making a lineup, I leave out a player or two who should be there ...something's gotta give before the season starts. Whoever comes out to camp playing a bit flat or lifeless is going to find themselves without a spot!

Babcock on Brown

“He was our best kid in training camp,†Babcock said. “He has elite hockey sense and he’ll be an NHLer for a long time.

If this is based on merit. Connor Brown's done far more to earn his spot than either Sosh or Hyman.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Babcock on Brown

“He was our best kid in training camp,†Babcock said. “He has elite hockey sense and he’ll be an NHLer for a long time.

If this is based on merit. Connor Brown's done far more to earn his spot than either Sosh or Hyman.

One problem is that Brown won't be as effective in a 4th line role than someone like Hyman (I'll leave Sosh out because he plays opposite wing anyways). Brown's greatest effectiveness comes out of a good top 6 or at the very least 3rd line role. I think he's ready for it, but Marner is too and they are kind of fighting for only one spot. Even moving a veteran, unless it's Komarov which has like a 1% chance of happening, won't really solve the problem unless you want Komarov back on the LW playing down in the lineup instead of with Kadri (which is where we should put him).

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Babcock on Brown

“He was our best kid in training camp,” Babcock said. “He has elite hockey sense and he’ll be an NHLer for a long time.

Babcock on Sosh and Hyman

There is plenty of optimism surrounding the Toronto Maple Leafs, despite having the worst record in the NHL. The team has won just two of their last 10 games, but a pair of young forward prospects has caught the attention of head coach Mike Babcock

“(Zack) Hyman and (Nikita Soshnikov) are here to stay,” Maple Leafs coach Mike Babcock said in a scrum with local reporters after a 4-3 shootout win over the New York Islanders on Wednesday. “They’re real players. They’re going to play. They’re just too good, too hard, and too fast with too much work ethic so those guys will play.”

Hyman logged 15:10 minutes of ice time Wednesday night and scored his second goal of the season while Soshnikov netted the lone goal of the shootout to seal the win over the Islanders.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-babcock-hyman-soshnikov-real-players/

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Thats a given.

Maybe not as much this year. There isn't really any "dead weight" left on the Marlies, unless you count the veterans who have purpose there (Froese as a 1C and mentor, Holl as a mentor, Campbell as a captain and mentor, etc.). Then we also have 3G's, but I'm sure that is by design as well (at least for the duration of the year). All of those guys can be let go at the end of the year if we don't want/need them anymore.

The young guys who no longer fit here (Piccinich, Desrocher, Herzog, etc.) don't even have contracts with us, so they are easy sells. Otherwise, it's Holland and Corrado. Corrado will probably be kept until next year before maybe getting moved (or will get moved at the TDL) since it seems like they like him as a depth guy (but even then, who knows). Holland will almost certainly be moved before the start of the season.

I mean, the Leafs could do some trade like Holland + maybe Loov and a bunch of prospects for Pokka. I can see that happening. Good value for Chicago and they get something to improve them at forward (Holland would be like their 7th best forward)for minimal upgrade on cap space. Plus guys like Desrocher, Piccinich, etc. are guys who can become cheap and solid contributors to rotate in down the line once guys get too expensive, which they need desperately as well.

Marlies defense:
Valiev-Pokka
Dermott-Holl
Nielsen-Campbell
Brouillard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad