TSN: Elite Speculation from Bob Mackenzie re: The Leafs

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I respect Bobby Mac but not everything he says is gospel. This is logical speculation that has been discussed for months on this board.

Last edited:

Mr Hockey*

Yesterday on TSN radio hour 3 of "Overdrive"

B.M. was a guest and made many comments about the Leafs and their roster (leading up to the WCH and into training camp).

Re. The Leafs moving 5 contracts for Grabner last season.

(Trying not to paraphrase)

"The Leaf bucket is full right now of veteran guys that you may or may not want in your line up depending on how many kids you bring in. You've got Greening, Launch, Michalek, Lupul... there's 4 veteran players. You can't have 4 of them. I'm not sure you can have three of them.

In my mind you have the kids who are dead set certain to be on the roster: Nylander, Sosh., and Hyman. Those three guys have to play themselves out of a spot, because right now they've got a spot in my mind. I think A. Matthews fits into that category, so there's four. You could argue that Mitch Marner could start the season with the Leafs. So now you're up to five kids. And we haven't talked about Brown, Leipsic, Leivo...and we haven't talked about Kasperi Kapenan who's had some apprenticeship time with the Marlies...you've added in Matt Martin who is going to have a prominent role in your top 12...so you've got another veteran there.

The numbers just don't add up. There's going to be bodies flying out the door.

Some of those kids could be going back to the Marlies. Some require waivers and some not, but that is the nature of the beast. But the bucket is filling up with young guys that can play, so it starts to spill over and not everybody is going to be able to play.

...I don't know whether Josh Leivo is going to make the Leafs this year. But the Leafs believe that the way he played in the second half of last season that he warrants a spot on the roster. ...they believe Josh Leivo is a NHL player. I truly believe that. "

Youve got to love it as a leaf fan though. The depth of forward prospects is impressive.

It looks like we won't be hanging on to our vets all the way to the trade deadline. Most (could be as many as three) will be traded, waived, or a Marlie this Oct.

I'm glad he also mentioned Leipsic, because no one seems to talk about him around here.

:)

Looks like Bob has Shosh on the roster over Brown, I have been saying that for a long time now. :laugh:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I repect Bobby Mac but not everything he says is gospel. This is logical speculation that has been discussed for months on this board.

Yeah, nothing we didn't know already. Its impossible to even have a close guess what management does with the situation. I'll bet teams aren't lining up for any of them vets. If we could get rid of them all I would be pretty happy bout it. Not going to happen though.Riding out their final year won't bother me. I don't want buy out money hanging over the teams head is the #1 thing for me.

Another year of Ahl development for our prospects is not the end of the world. Its actually likely going to make them better.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
It's Bobby Mac simply connecting the dots. Not some great insider info.

Leafs clearly have too many bodies.

But at this point Laich, Lupul, Michalek and Greening are unmovable. Giving up assets to move them out doesn't make any sense.

Lupul & Michalek also figure to loss time to injuries. Laich maybe also.

I personally think the first guy to get moved is Holland because teams can take on his cap hit. He'll get moved like Colborne did just before the season to a team that doesn't have a youngster quite ready to make the jump or who suffers an injury in camp.

Mad Brills*

No. Robidas isn't retiring because he wouldn't get paid.

This is just to make him being on LTIR legit, instead of him dissapearing last year.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It's Bobby Mac simply connecting the dots. Not some great insider info.

Leafs clearly have too many bodies.

But at this point Laich, Lupul, Michalek and Greening are unmovable. Giving up assets to move them out doesn't make any sense.

Lupul & Michalek also figure to loss time to injuries. Laich maybe also.

I personally think the first guy to get moved is Holland because teams can take on his cap hit. He'll get moved like Colborne did just before the season to a team that doesn't have a youngster quite ready to make the jump or who suffers an injury in camp.

They could waive, Laich, Michalek and Greening to see if anyone is interested in them, or they could retain on 2 of them as it would only be for this year.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
They could waive, Laich, Michalek and Greening to see if anyone is interested in them, or they could retain on 2 of them as it would only be for this year.

I definitely could see Laich or Greening waived but I still think it's unlikely.

As for retaining prior to the start of the season they are very tight to the cap.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The real question here is what is "Elite Speculation"?

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
We know Lou is big on personal appearance and grooming. Who better than Lupul to work with the young guys?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Bob will be on again today.

Looks like nothing about Leaf team this segment.

Last edited:

buttman*

Not really but I can't say I'm surprised.

What have you heard?

He was good friends with Richards and Carter in Philly. Those two were dealt for a reason. He came here and didn't change much. He's still single and likes to indulge in some activities that Lou would not consider....well you know. Pretty common knowledge amoungst most fans. I have heard worse but I won't speculate. That said I do think it's likely the reason they are able to put him on the slf so easily wothout Lupul himself having much recourse in the matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad