TSN: Elite Speculation from Bob Mackenzie re: The Leafs

ForSpareParts*

Yesterday on TSN radio hour 3 of "Overdrive"

B.M. was a guest and made many comments about the Leafs and their roster (leading up to the WCH and into training camp).

Re. The Leafs moving 5 contracts for Grabner last season.

(Trying not to paraphrase)

"The Leaf bucket is full right now of veteran guys that you may or may not want in your line up depending on how many kids you bring in. You've got Greening, Launch, Michalek, Lupul... there's 4 veteran players. You can't have 4 of them. I'm not sure you can have three of them.

In my mind you have the kids who are dead set certain to be on the roster: Nylander, Sosh., and Hyman. Those three guys have to play themselves out of a spot, because right now they've got a spot in my mind. I think A. Matthews fits into that category, so there's four. You could argue that Mitch Marner could start the season with the Leafs. So now you're up to five kids. And we haven't talked about Brown, Leipsic, Leivo...and we haven't talked about Kasperi Kapenan who's had some apprenticeship time with the Marlies...you've added in Matt Martin who is going to have a prominent role in your top 12...so you've got another veteran there.

The numbers just don't add up. There's going to be bodies flying out the door.

Some of those kids could be going back to the Marlies. Some require waivers and some not, but that is the nature of the beast. But the bucket is filling up with young guys that can play, so it starts to spill over and not everybody is going to be able to play.

...I don't know whether Josh Leivo is going to make the Leafs this year. But the Leafs believe that the way he played in the second half of last season that he warrants a spot on the roster. ...they believe Josh Leivo is a NHL player. I truly believe that. "

Youve got to love it as a leaf fan though. The depth of forward prospects is impressive.

It looks like we won't be hanging on to our vets all the way to the trade deadline. Most (could be as many as three) will be traded, waived, or a Marlie this Oct.

I'm glad he also mentioned Leipsic, because no one seems to talk about him around here.

:)

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
To me certain kids are NHLers, bonafide NHLers.

There are also certain who are just bubbling under, and other ones
who again are NHLers who fit the waivers' game.

I don't think KK, Leipsic and AJ are ready. Brown is ready, but his status is sadly perfect for waivers.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Think this is all pretty obvious. Rychel is another potential roster player.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Laich - will stick around
Greening - traded
Michalek - will stick around for a little while
Lupul - won't play again

Just my guess

ForSpareParts*

It is surprising as to how many vets could fly out the door.

The Leafs might potentially only keep 1 of the marginal vet squad (Lupul, Greening, Launch, and Michalek). Martin already is a lock, and then there's Bozak, Kadri, and Komarov.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Pre-season is going to be super fun this year. If we do a split squad game, we could see almost 2 full rosters full of NHL ready forwards!

JVR, Matthews, Kadri, Bozak, Holland, Komarov, Greening, Laich, Michalek, Lupul, Martin, Nylander, Soshnikov, Hyman, Brown, Rychel, Leipsic, Leivo, Kapenan, Marner, and Gauthier.

Thats 21 guys.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
It is surprising as to how many vets could fly out the door.

The Leafs might potentially only keep 1 of the marginal vet squad (Lupul, Greening, Launch, and Michalek). Martin already is a lock, and then there's Bozak, Kadri, and Komarov.

My predictions...

Lupul - will be on LTIR for the remainder of his stay. He's had so many injury issues throughout his career, he doesn't have anything left.

Greening - will be waived to start the season. He may factor in when bodies are moved at the deadline to provide a vet presence.

Laich - Will be waived to start the season. He may factor in when bodies are moved at the deadline to provide a vet presence.

Michalek - will play top-9 minutes, with a good supporting cast. He'll produce as he has throughout his career and be sold for a premium at the deadline. 50% retained - 2M for a 2nd rd. pick.

ForSpareParts*

Laich - will stick around
Greening - traded
Michalek - will stick around for a little while
Lupul - won't play again

Just my guess

I also think Laich could be the only survivor. He is supposedly a good veteran presence to young NHLers. Can also play Wing and C.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
My predictions...

Lupul - will be on LTIR for the remainder of his stay. He's had so many injury issues throughout his career, he doesn't have anything left.

So many questions ..... How does Lupul go on LTIR if he doesn't have a long-term injury? Were Robidas and Lupul on LTIR last year?

buttman*

They'll send down all the kids that don't require waivers. It's not "elite" is common sense.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
What's the rush? What's the harm in playing a few vets in the final years of their contracts? 55 games or so and the team can see whether they can sell some of these veterans high. Two of these guys, Lupul and Michalek are highly likely just to break down physically anyways making room for youth.

Impatience isn't a virtue of a rebuilding professional sports franchise. 4 rookies is a lot.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Can't agree more with Lupul. If he's healthy play him top 6 in the highly unlikely event he doesn't get injured he's going to be worth something on TDL day. In the extremely likely event he doesn't last 10 games, promote the most deserving Marlie. Problem solved.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I wish he actually touched on if he thinks this roster issue will be handled via trade or if the Leafs will simply demote a vet or 2 to the AHL?

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
My predictions...

Greening - will be waived to start the season. He may factor in when bodies are moved at the deadline to provide a vet presence.

Laich - Will be waived to start the season. He may factor in when bodies are moved at the deadline to provide a vet presence.

Michalek - will play top-9 minutes, with a good supporting cast. He'll produce as he has throughout his career and be sold for a premium at the deadline. 50% retained - 2M for a 2nd rd. pick.

Lupul can't just go to LTIR, he needs to have a serious injury. A string of small injuries that stop him from being able to compete in the NHL is crappy, but something we have to live with. He doesn't have a No Move Clause so he could end up on the Marlies, if a youngster beats him out for a spot. Luckily the small cap savings of sending him down will offset the costs of a youngster, so there is no reason to keep Lupul over a youngster because of his contract. He has to earn his spot.

Laich will not be waived. He is a good vet presence. He is a gym rat and can help show the kids how to eat properly and act professionally. If he is not up for that challenge than he can be waived, but I think he knows thats all he has going for him.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Yesterday on TSN radio hour 3 of "Overdrive"

B.M. was a guest and made many comments about the Leafs and their roster (leading up to the WCH and into training camp).

Re. The Leafs moving 5 contracts for Grabner last season.

(Trying not to paraphrase)

"The Leaf bucket is full right now of veteran guys that you may or may not want in your line up depending on how many kids you bring in. You've got Greening, Launch, Michalek, Lupul... there's 4 veteran players. You can't have 4 of them. I'm not sure you can have three of them.

In my mind you have the kids who are dead set certain to be on the roster: Nylander, Sosh., and Hyman. Those three guys have to play themselves out of a spot, because right now they've got a spot in my mind. I think A. Matthews fits into that category, so there's four. You could argue that Mitch Marner could start the season with the Leafs. So now you're up to five kids. And we haven't talked about Brown, Leipsic, Leivo...and we haven't talked about Kasperi Kapenan who's had some apprenticeship time with the Marlies...you've added in Matt Martin who is going to have a prominent role in your top 12...so you've got another veteran there.

The numbers just don't add up. There's going to be bodies flying out the door.

Some of those kids could be going back to the Marlies. Some require waivers and some not, but that is the nature of the beast. But the bucket is filling up with young guys that can play, so it starts to spill over and not everybody is going to be able to play.

...I don't know whether Josh Leivo is going to make the Leafs this year. But the Leafs believe that the way he played in the second half of last season that he warrants a spot on the roster. ...they believe Josh Leivo is a NHL player. I truly believe that. "

Youve got to love it as a leaf fan though. The depth of forward prospects is impressive.

It looks like we won't be hanging on to our vets all the way to the trade deadline. Most (could be as many as three) will be traded, waived, or a Marlie this Oct.

I'm glad he also mentioned Leipsic, because no one seems to talk about him around here.

:)

I don't see Hyman/Soshnikov as locks by any means. Soshnikov has yet to product at the AHL level

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I think there us something to be said for packaging some of the promising forward prospects for a defenseman or good blueline prospect or for an up and coming goalie. I don't mean the big three prospects, but what could be obtained for a couple of prospects from the next tier?

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Laich will not be waived. He is a good vet presence. He is a gym rat and can help show the kids how to eat properly and act professionally. If he is not up for that challenge than he can be waived, but I think he knows thats all he has going for him.

Sometime, soon-his lack of anything tangible will outweigh his leadership.

PTO bound next year.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don't see Hyman/Soshnikov as locks by any means. Soshnikov has yet to product at the AHL level

Babcock loves Hyman and Sosh.

He called them no doubt NHL players last season.

They will be on the roster unless they stink the joint up in camp

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Babcock loves Hyman and Sosh.

He called them no doubt NHL players last season.

They will be on the roster unless they stink the joint up in camp

There is inevitably some fall off and a young player you expect to make a team can falter in a bad training camp. THAT said, I expect them to be on the team unless they play themselves off the roster.

I like Brown more then either one.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
In my opinion I don't think Lou is going to start any rookies on the 4th line unless they are projected to be 4th liners. I can see a 4th line of Laich and Michalek. Either of those guys can play in your bottom six and are pretty dependable guys. A trait that Babcock loves.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
There is inevitably some fall off and a young player you expect to make a team can falter in a bad training camp. THAT said, I expect them to be on the team unless they play themselves off the roster.

I like Brown more then either one.

Yeah, but with Brown, we are grooming him to play a more significant role on this team than Hyman or Sosh will. So if it comes down to, we have two bottom 6 spots available, it's going to be Hyman and Sosh, to allow Brown to play top minutes in the AHL, and literally be "The Guy" for the Marlies.

With Brown though, I think it's between he, and Marner, rather than grouping him in with Hyman and Soshnikov. If Marner heads back to London, then Brown will likely make the team. If Marner stays, then it will be tougher for Brown.

Mike Babcock must be shaking his head with all the options he has. He was generally a guy that gave more ice to the veterans in Detroit, but he seems to love Hyman, Brown, and Soshnikov as depth players. Add in Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Leivo, etc and we have so many young players that are NHL ready.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Yeah, but with Brown, we are grooming him to play a more significant role on this team than Hyman or Sosh will. So if it comes down to, we have two bottom 6 spots available, it's going to be Hyman and Sosh, to allow Brown to play top minutes in the AHL, and literally be "The Guy" for the Marlies.

With Brown though, I think it's between he, and Marner, rather than grouping him in with Hyman and Soshnikov. If Marner heads back to London, then Brown will likely make the team. If Marner stays, then it will be tougher for Brown.

Mike Babcock must be shaking his head with all the options he has. He was generally a guy that gave more ice to the veterans in Detroit, but he seems to love Hyman, Brown, and Soshnikov as depth players. Add in Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Leivo, etc and we have so many young players that are NHL ready.

Definitely going to require well thought decisions by the coaching staff because of the well stocked shelves.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

I had lines done up before but WCOH has me changing my mind, and maybe Babcock too but I can't see Matthews on a 3rd line for long

Komarov-Kadri-Brown
JVR-Matthews-Nylander
Leivo-Bozak-Marner
Martin-Laich-Hyman
Michalek, Greening

Rielly-Marincin
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Hunwick-Carrick
Polak

Andersen
Enroth

Soshnikov, Lupul, Rychel, Holland looking on the outside for me. Rychel and Sosh gonna need to wait for injuries or trade to get back up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad