Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
Just noticed that in 29 games this season Pettersson is already at half the shots he took last year. His shooting percentage as expected is slightly down from last year but still pretty high compare to most players.

This year 29 games 12 goals 72 shots 16.6% shooting pct
Last year 71 games 28 goals 144 shots 19.4% shooting pct

I would like to see a bigger improvement in this. He has a great shot and he should be using it more.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Is it just me that thinks that he plays alot like Vincent Lecavalier
Thats actually a very good analogy, kudos.

I think he has a little Vinny, and a little Datsuk in him, among his own creativeness.

I think he is starting to figure out his spacing on NHL ice, as well as really becoming an all around elite 2 way Center. He is starting to play 4D chess, because he realizes he's not quite strong enough yet, and that there is not a lot of space and time in the NHL. He will only get better, and its exciting to watch. Him and Quinn are worth the price of admission!

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Interesting to note that Petey is 3rd in the league in powerplay points at this stage, with only McDavid and Draisitle (who are frankly having insane seasons) ahead of him. Hughes is 8th over all. Awesome.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
To make sure we keep everyone accountable - Pety has 6 even strength points in his last 19 games. that is also not elite production

the_gman83

Mar 27, 2002
Lethbridge
Visit site
With his shot off the crossbar last night, Pettersson is now second in the league in missed shots that hit the crossbar/post with 7, behind only Draisaitl's 9. Pettersson only had 8 go off the bar and out all of last year.

Reactions: lindgren

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Petey's in year #2 of his NHL career. Nate Mackinnon didn't start racking up the big points until his 5th year in the league. Different styles, of course, but both had/have to learn how to play to their best advantage.

When I watch Petey, I see a player who's always processing and storing info like a computer, for future use. When he gets physically stronger, he should be deadly. So...patience, and enjoy the great moments when they happen.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the Canucks had any scoring depth anywhere else in the lineup, people wouldn't be obsessed with nightly production from Pettersson or Boeser. But let's face it, it they don't score the Canucks don't win most nights.

I mean what other center is driving any offense these days, including Horvat? It's unfortunate that the Canucks are living and dying every night on the backs of a 21-year center and a 20-year old d-man.... but it is what it is I guess.

Privately, these two kids must be looking at the payroll Benning has tied up in useless bottom-of-the lineup players who're lucky to score once a month, and just shake their heads. But their big paydays are coming, and somehow the Canucks have to clear the books from a bunch of awful contracts with debilitating term.

Reactions: Nomobo

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
To make sure we keep everyone accountable - Pety has 6 even strength points in his last 19 games. that is also not elite production

One of those was a 6-on-4 situation with a Colorado player lying on the ice bleeding from his head.

5 ‘real’ ES points in 21 games is brutal. I don’t know if there’s been a game this year where you could say he was a noticeable major factor against a good team 5-on-5.

Remember, at the start of last year, how much extra effort and commitment he was making at both ends of the rink? Legit hustle plays. Competed in traffic. Skated hard always. Now he’s been Boeser-ified and there’s lots of skating aimlessly around on the perimeter and over-dependence on his shot.

Like, yeah, he’s good enough to get to 75-80 points by beating up on bad teams and raking in PP points, but the potential he showed at the start of last year was so much more than that.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
We sure know how to develop players
Yup, on a good team, players like Pettersson and Boeser would be the second punch of the team. Now they have so much pressure on them and always face the toughest defensive matchups.

A good example is Eichel in Buffalo. He had so little support, so he struggled his first couple of seasons.

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
One of those was a 6-on-4 situation with a Colorado player lying on the ice bleeding from his head.

5 ‘real’ ES points in 21 games is brutal. I don’t know if there’s been a game this year where you could say he was a noticeable major factor against a good team 5-on-5.

Remember, at the start of last year, how much extra effort and commitment he was making at both ends of the rink? Legit hustle plays. Competed in traffic. Skated hard always. Now he’s been Boeser-ified and there’s lots of skating aimlessly around on the perimeter and over-dependence on his shot.

Like, yeah, he’s good enough to get to 75-80 points by beating up on bad teams and raking in PP points, but the potential he showed at the start of last year was so much more than that.
Such a ridiculously awful hot take. This kid's currently 13th in the league in points at 21 years old in his second season and you think he should be putting them on his back McDavid style. Or Crosby. Or Ovechkin.

Like @Canuckle1970 said, it took MacKinnon five years to become the force he is today. If he played in Vancouver half you guys woulda been ready to drive him to the airport at 20 to get him out of town.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Such a ridiculously awful hot take. This kid's currently 13th in the league in points at 21 years old in his second season and you think he should be putting them on his back McDavid style. Or Crosby. Or Ovechkin.

Like @Canuckle1970 said, it took MacKinnon five years to become the force he is today. If he played in Vancouver half you guys woulda been ready to drive him to the airport at 20 to get him out of town.

His compete level at ES is noticeably worse than last year and his production at ES - especially against any sort of decent team - has been outright poor.

I'm not saying the guy is garbage. I'm not saying we should trade him. He's the best and most important asset we have and he needs to be held accountable by management and coaches if he's going to turn into the player we all hope he can be. And from a fan perspective, the guy shouldn't be immune to criticism - if he's playing poorly and competing poorly I'm going to say so and not just slap on rose-coloured glasses and pretend everything is perfect. And again, this doesn't mean I think the player sucks or that he's struggling everywhere - he's obviously been a major weapon on the PP - but just that I think he can be better.

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
Struggling with confidence can often be mistaken for a lack of compete in hockey. Petey seems to be overthinking on the ice rather than going on instinct like he was last year. Overthinking leads players to playing slower which is deadly in the NHL.

He’s also ‘just’ off on his shots. Last year at this time, it was bar down and this year it is bar out... or just missing the net completely. It’s matter of inches and he’s been on the losing end of that battle too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad