Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Wonder what his next contract will look like.

I could see an Eichel type of situation with Pettersson. Sign him to max term next summer already. We'd probably be looking at at least a 11M/yr. Don't think it makes sense to bridge a player like this.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Petey is not at his best and is currently at the top 10 in scoring lol

I'm not saying he's Crosby but I often think the same thing of him. He's obviously capable of some jaw dropping plays when he's in the mood, but Crosby's biggest strength is that he does all the small and 'unimpressive' things right way more consistently than anyone else, which results in a lot of points. Take something as trivial as passing the puck to your blueliner on the PP, if you do that correctly 99 times out of 100 instead of 95 times you will see results in the scoring sheet.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
Uhhh what??? He’s on pace for 99 points in his 2nd year in the league, and he’s just getting started...he’s not even at the top of his game yet. He has the will to get better and has the work ethic, IQ and every quality you can ask for. He’ll slowly get bigger as well. He’s easily a Franchise player. Generational talent? No. That’s reserved for Crosby/Ovechkin and now Mcdavid
The question is, can he do what MacKinnon did against Vancouver last week?

Will he ever be able to?

Course if you look at it from a different perspective, Preds fans watched him put up 3G 5P against them. I'd be more curious how they feel about him.

and Colorado last year after he and Boeser dominated.

Or the Ottawa game last year where he had a hat trick and could have had more.

He's shown flashes of dominant ability. If he doesn't do it that often then boo hoo, at 100 points a season he won't need to do it that often.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I'm not saying he's Crosby but I often think the same thing of him. He's obviously capable of some jaw dropping plays when he's in the mood, but Crosby's biggest strength is that he does all the small and 'unimpressive' things right way more consistently than anyone else, which results in a lot of points. Take something as trivial as passing the puck to your blueliner on the PP, if you do that correctly 99 times out of 100 instead of 95 times you will see results in the scoring sheet.
Crosby's biggest strength is dat ass.

EP could use an ass like Crosby's that's for damn sure.

Reactions: Upoil and vanuck

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The question is, can he do what MacKinnon did against Vancouver last week?

Will he ever be able to?

Course if you look at it from a different perspective, Preds fans watched him put up 3G 5P against them. I'd be more curious how they feel about him.

and Colorado last year after he and Boeser dominated.

Or the Ottawa game last year where he had a hat trick and could have had more.

He's shown flashes of dominant ability. If he doesn't do it that often then boo hoo, at 100 points a season he won't need to do it that often.

I think Petey can dangle past 3 guys and score a goal in 3 on 3 OT. But what does it prove?

Right now, MacKinnon is a top 3-5 player in the league. Petey is not that. Will he ever get there? I'm not sure. I think he is capable of having some great seasons where he does play like a top 3-5 player in the NHL.

I think the question is whether the Canucks can build a team around Petey being the #1C for years to come. I think they can. So to me he's a franchise player.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Wonder what his next contract will look like.

I could see an Eichel type of situation with Pettersson. Sign him to max term next summer already. We'd probably be looking at at least a 11M/yr. Don't think it makes sense to bridge a player like this.

A bridge contract would be an absolute disaster. This is the play we're building around—absolutely crucial that we offer him an 8 year deal as soon as we're eligible to offer an extension.

Reactions: bh53 and Kreator

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Mackinnon had good to average seasons for his first 4 NHL years, not even close to the level Pettersson is playing today. Pettersson will be an absolute beast when he is in his 5th NHL season and really hits stride.

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
A bridge contract would be an absolute disaster. This is the play we're building around—absolutely crucial that we offer him an 8 year deal as soon as we're eligible to offer an extension.
I’m thinking they are going to want to lock him up. 8 years. That said, a bridge can give you the best opportunity to make him a ‘career Canuck’. Just have to make sure it’s a short bridge. Worst case scenario would be a contract like Mathews. Man the Leafs got bent over on that one.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
He should do what Backstrom's doing and negotiate his next contract as his own agent.

37921614eaa0ce4a218a15b3fa85aec1-original.jpg
"Alright Petey let's get something done. We think 9 million a year is fair"
upload_2019-11-23_18-29-26.jpeg
*alien mind control*
37921614eaa0ce4a218a15b3fa85aec1-original.jpg
"Ok Petey max term and money sounds good let's do it"
upload_2019-11-23_18-32-36.jpeg
"Great, I already had the contract written up earlier just sign here"
upload_2019-11-23_18-30-50.jpeg

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
He’s not a franchise/generational talent at this point. That much is obvious. He’s not dominating or taking games over on his own.

He’s an elite cornerstone for this team to build around, but he isn’t dragging this team to the promises land on his own.

That said, we’ll see how he progresses.
This is bs, he doesn’t have a ceiling.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
I have been honestly thinking that if Petey was 205lb instead of his current weight, he would probably be a top 3 centre in the NHL right now. Probably only behind McDavid, and Crosby. He's honestly just so dominate at times and does all the small defensive things. Guy is just an insanely smart hockey player so he doesn't really have a ceiling tbh. I wish he had some meat on his bones to make him harder to play against

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
He's better then them both arguably now pretty clear Elias's year two knocks their year 2 stats out the park. However they are both overpaid so I'd be happy to get EP at anything around 11 per for 8.

Marner yes, Matthews no but they are on the same level.

An 8 year deal will raise the AAV because you are buying Ufa years.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Marner yes, Matthews no but they are on the same level.

An 8 year deal will raise the AAV because you are buying Ufa years.
I personally take EP over Mathews however that's subjective both great. Yes AAV will go up by going 8 but since they were overpaid I'm being hopeful I suppose. Again anything that begins with 11 per for 8 I'm happy with. Who knows how deals go this summer 12 might be new thing really they are moving up fast now per year.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Am I correct in thinking that his current contract ends the same time the CBA expires?

I'm going to assume here and it could become a real sticking point for CBA negotiations moving forward but I think the owners are going to try and limit the salaries of players coming off their RFA status.

Perhaps we'll be able to save a buck or two till Pettersson turns 23 or 24 but who knows as I'm just spitballing here.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Pettersson has a grade A, golden cannon shot, but his problem is to get to the open space to release it. He needs to change up his game plan, with the encouragement of the coach. Look at a guy like Pastrnak, or look what MacKinnon does. Sometimes they circle around out towards the blueline. MacKinnon loves to place himself right in the center of the blueline and just shoot. He has scored alot of goals that way. Pettersson should ease up a bit and try the MacKinnon approach. Not even a fast guy like MacKinnon likes the prospects of finding space towards a regularly collapsing defense. Pastrnak does the same, he doesn't always score from his office.

For example, watch this setup by Ottawa against the Rangers. Duclair comes in for a really clean shot on the 5 on 3.

It's not really something to complain about, since the Canucks have such an effective PP, but they should really think about being even better by set up plays where Pettersson or Boeser comes in for a clean shot.

All in all, Pettersson needs more options to be available to score. He shouldn't shoot 2 shots per game, he should be a volume shooter in the game plan. And if he can't shoot, he'll make magic happen. His offensive prowess is hampered 5 on 5 by his defensive responsibilites. Yes, I'm still whining about it, but that's a luxury at this point, so I can't exactly yell.

Pettersson's been struggling alot for the start of his sophomore season. He still ends up in the top 10 in scoring. He doesn't exactly have an equivalent beside him like other top scorers do. That he's still able to belong in the top 10 in scoring says volumes of what will happen when he evolves into his prime. He's just that good, shooting wise, passing wise, IQ wise, skating wise, vision wise and with his mentality of his approach.

I just love when he scores. It doesn't happen often enough and the coach and teammates should help him score more. What do I want to say? Well, Pettersson should try to score from more spots than his office. He's certainly capable of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: vanuck

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
I think Petey is saving his one timers for near the end of the year/hopefully playoffs. The less he uses them now the more people forget he has the ability so the more space he'll get later on in the year. Just a theory though lol.

Reactions: Paradise Circus

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I think Petey is saving his one timers for near the end of the year/hopefully playoffs. The less he uses them now the more people forget he has the ability so the more space he'll get later on in the year. Just a theory though lol.

That's silly. Hes trying to score.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
That's silly. Hes trying to score.
Yeah I know, Im kind of half joking. But at the same time it seems like he's trying them way less than last year so you have to wonder if he might be trying it more often when they're hunting for a playoff spot near the end of the year.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I think he is the best player to play for this team since Bure. My one complaint is that he has turned into a chronic diver. This may get him the calls in November but will hurt him big time in May. If he ever gets to play in May, that is...

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008

Petey has the drive to become a consistent force. Other than a few guys like Crosby, Ovechkin and McDavid it usually takes players a few years to hit their stride in the nhl. It took the Sedins until age 27 to even be a point per game threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->