Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I love the interference in OT that got him a 2 on 1 and a great scoring chance instead of Vegas puck possession

Really high hockey iq to know the refs won't call that shit ever

We have a good one here. Stop the overreaction, he's our best player of all time

the_gman83

Mar 27, 2002
Lethbridge
Visit site
I love the interference in OT that got him a 2 on 1 and a great scoring chance instead of Vegas puck possession

Really high hockey iq to know the refs won't call that **** ever

We have a good one here. Stop the overreaction, he's our best player of all time

My favourite hockey IQ moment from Pettersson that game was in the 3rd period. Myers flipped the puck high in the air from his own zone as Pettersson was streaking through the neutral zone. He didn't even look at the puck, just watched the Knights defenceman as he waited for the puck to come down. As soon as he reached up to knock it down with his hand, Pettersson simply swatted at his hand, making him miss the puck and giving the Canucks possession in the offensive zone. Almost created a scoring chance from it.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Pettersson was buzzing all game around the net, played a chippy game and went to the greasy areas in front of the net. He’s much more effective playing in the high danger zones than on the perimeter. Great game, great player.

Reactions: petrishriekandgo

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
You better watch out
You better not cry
You better not pout
I'm telling you why
Pettersson is comin' to town

He's making a snipe
He's staring them out
He's gonna find out
Who's open in the slot

He sees you when you're sleeping
He knows when you're awake
He knows if you play bad or good
So play good when in Petey's gaze

So you better watch out
You better not cry
You better not pout
I'm telling you why

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
Still not getting why he isn’t used at PK. He has all the tools to create breakaways and would force the other team to back off a little and not take so many chances. I know what I would do if was coach...

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Still not getting why he isn’t used at PK. He has all the tools to create breakaways and would force the other team to back off a little and not take so many chances. I know what I would do if was coach...

Would it be wise to have him out there blocking shots?

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005
Even though he’d excel at it, I think that’d add too many minutes to his ice time. I wouldn’t mind him on the PK late in games when the team is trailing, though.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Even though he’d excel at it, I think that’d add too many minutes to his ice time. I wouldn’t mind him on the PK late in games when the team is trailing, though.

A lot of elite players play on the PK (Marchand & Bergeron). EP would make an excellent PKer with his endurance, awareness and quick stick. Needs to improve his strength and faceoffs first, see him as a all situations player in a couple seasons, he’s Elite in all 3 zones.

Last edited:

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
Because
He will make of the overpaid bottom six forward look even more useless
You have a point. However, a guy often compared to EP with the name of Sebastian Aho, plays more in average and currently have 3 sh goals and 4 shorthanded points. He is also on the ice when the other team pulls their goalie... Just sayin.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Wish we could get Pettersson more creative linemates, I mean Boeser is a good young player but clearly doesn't think the game or have anywhere near the offensive creativity of a Pettersson. Having a guy like William Nylander on his line would make him a much better player,

perhaps petty, but playoffs is one of the times i actually think virtanen could be more valuable. EP is always giving, Nylander not so much under tough going.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Im really encouraged by what is going on with Pettersson
I think he has been really inconsistent this year and sometimes invisible, and yet he is STILL over a point per game pace.

Just makes you excited about what he can do once he develops more consistency.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I actually thought his game against VGK was a bit better in terms of competing physically - this may have had something to do with the tone of the game after Leivo went down and there was no call, it seemed a little chippy after that. That being said, I still think there's another level to his play that we saw more so last year that isn't being brought out so much this year, and I think part of that is on coaching.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Would it be wise to have him out there blocking shots?
If you play your position right, you shouldn't need to be blocking shots all the time on the PK. Top-end centres like Bergeron and Kopitar are good examples of this.

See Ryan Johnson a decade ago for the exact opposite.

Reactions: timw33

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
I actually thought his game against VGK was a bit better in terms of competing physically - this may have had something to do with the tone of the game after Leivo went down and there was no call, it seemed a little chippy after that. That being said, I still think there's another level to his play that we saw more so last year that isn't being brought out so much this year, and I think part of that is on coaching.
IMHO, he's playing better this year than last. It's just that opposing players are draped all over him the second his stick touches the puck.

Last year, he had time and space to dial in his shot and snipe it or feather the perfect saucer pass. This year, there's one guy closing the gap and another player diving into his shooting/passing lane. What that's forced him to do is operate under less-than-pristine conditions. Last game vs. VGK was a great example of him starting to figure out how to do that.

In the next couple of years, his frame will start filling out and his center of gravity will lower. This will allow him to make more quality plays under pressure. That's when we'll see him putting up huge numbers and flirting with the Art Ross.

whoshouse

Aug 13, 2004
I wouldn’t mind trying EP in the last 30 seconds of the pk. But when the team is filled with bottom 6 grinders there’s really no point in gassing out your only offensive weapon to play pk

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I think Pettersson should rotate position more and not be in his office on the PP as much. It'll make it much tougher for opponents to smother him. Last night against Pittsburgh they even constantly had a guy in his face on the 5 on 3.

Reactions: Canucks5551

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
IMHO, he's playing better this year than last. It's just that opposing players are draped all over him the second his stick touches the puck.

Last year, he had time and space to dial in his shot and snipe it or feather the perfect saucer pass. This year, there's one guy closing the gap and another player diving into his shooting/passing lane. What that's forced him to do is operate under less-than-pristine conditions. Last game vs. VGK was a great example of him starting to figure out how to do that.

In the next couple of years, his frame will start filling out and his center of gravity will lower. This will allow him to make more quality plays under pressure. That's when we'll see him putting up huge numbers and flirting with the Art Ross.
I've thought the same, right from game 1 you could see the dramatic difference in time and space the other team gave him this year. He's struggling less with the added attention now than he was to start the year. I still wish he'd deke more, we haven't seen that side of him as much as we did last year.

One of my favourite things about Pettersson is the chippier the game and the angrier he gets, the better he plays. Angry Petey is a reckless force of nature on the ice. You can see why he's going to be incredible in the playoffs if we ever get there and he adjusts to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad