Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Well if he slumps this year at least it means he would get much smaller AAV on his next deal IE Barzal on a 3 year deal.

Reactions: mossey3535

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I don't like to say this but the best thing for the canucks future would probably be that Hughes and Pettersson have lacklustre seasons. If they play like a top-5 centre and top-5 defenceman in the league this year they are going to be able to command the equivalent contracts.
Nah, I hope they cash the f*** out. They will be worth it long term, especially when the cap starts going back up.

It keeps Benning from f***ing up the team with more Erikssons/Sutters/Myers/Beagle/Baertschi and on and on and on and on and on

Reactions: BAM

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
So we are in a situation where we hope our franchise center and d-man play badly so we dont have to pay them?

It’s a question of dollars and cents. If both players happened to have career years this year and are paid accordingly but then regress, the Canucks will be hamstrung. A repeat of the Toronto situation or even worse than that.

Of course a situation where the players steadily keep improving for the next 6-7
years would be ideal.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
I wonder if Green’s coaching has had any effect on Pettersson? He’s nowhere near as dynamic as he used to be so I wonder if his natural instincts have been muted? Other than that I don’t really know what’s wrong with him, but he doesn’t seem to even want to shoot. Maybe it’s just a confidence thing?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
So we are in a situation where we hope our franchise center and d-man play badly so we dont have to pay them?

If we want to have any money to build a roster around them for the next few years, then kinda, yeah. It's not a situation we should be in for a team that missed the playoffs for 4 years and slipped into the playoffs because of a pandemic. All of this was completely avoidable of course.

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
Pettersson can't play with 2 non possession wingers (Virtanen Boeser). It works with Miller and Boeser as a sniper but with Boeser and Virtanen he just can't get any possession play going.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Pettersson can't play with 2 non possession wingers (Virtanen Boeser). It works with Miller and Boeser as a sniper but with Boeser and Virtanen he just can't get any possession play going.
Virtanen should never ever be anywhere near EP.

shouldnt matter if every other player is injured.

EP needs to play with people that have an IQ.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
I wonder if Green’s coaching has had any effect on Pettersson? He’s nowhere near as dynamic as he used to be so I wonder if his natural instincts have been muted? Other than that I don’t really know what’s wrong with him, but he doesn’t seem to even want to shoot. Maybe it’s just a confidence thing?

I remember when Bo would always try to dangle people and it sorta stopped after green became the coach so who knows

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
He looks slower than normal. Not straightline speed, but just in general. Not as silky smooth or elusive as normal.

Did he try to bulk up this offseason?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Combined with covid, it's the perfect storm to sign him for 8 years.

yeah you have no idea what a player is thinking.

but Pettersson strikes me as very confident in himself so I can see him saying bridge deal, instead of negotiating off this season that most predicted he should be point per game or higher.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
He looks slower than normal. Not straightline speed, but just in general. Not as silky smooth or elusive as normal.

Did he try to bulk up this offseason?

he didn’t use the same trainer.

his personal trainer is the head strength and conditioning coach for Vaxjo named Robert Lygdback as he didn’t go back to Sweden.

he stayed in Vancouver and trained with canuck staff, and we know of their short comings with players showing up not in shape.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
He looks like someone hit him over the head with a bat and took away 50 of his IQ points. Never seen him making so many unforced errors.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

blfr

Aug 29, 2009
Pettersson, for all his struggles so far, is somehow leading the team plus/minus with plus 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad