Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
he didn’t use the same trainer.

his personal trainer is the head strength and conditioning coach for Vaxjo named Robert Lygdback as he didn’t go back to Sweden.

he stayed in Vancouver and trained with canuck staff, and we know of their short comings with players showing up not in shape.

Ahh I see, that could explain it. That coupled with his mindset.

He seems to be trying to throw his weight out there and be more aggressive.

On the one hand it’s good to see him try to work on his weak areas, but it seems to be an over correction and is taking away from what he does to be successful.

lennor

Oct 15, 2019
Can’t wait for his 2/2 performance tomorrow against Carey. Dude has always stepped above and beyond any form of criticism. I’m
Sure he’s fuming and ready to unleash

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
He is really playing bad and his inability to be himself is dragging the first line down. Hope he gets going soon.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
There is no reason to be concerned about Petey.

All star players go through droughts. Usually teams have some depth to counteract that and help them win games... but we're the Canucks, so unless the top guys are carrying us on their back, we probably won't win.

Petey will come back into form just fine.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
There is no reason to be concerned about Petey.

All star players go through droughts. Usually teams have some depth to counteract that and help them win games... but we're the Canucks, so unless the top guys are carrying us on their back, we probably won't win.

Petey will come back into form just fine.

Yep. Not worried about Petey in the least.

He's had a few very close calls on chances. Could easily have 2-3 goals. Would be at 4 points and the narrative would be that there's absolutely nothing wrong with him.

Our forward depth is bad and defense is trash. Same story. Somehow for all the money invested, our PKing is also trash. That's the primary responsibility for the losses.

Reactions: Intoewsables

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
yes sure but when your best players play like crap you lose more often than not

Oh, for sure, but he'll pull out of it. Every top player has down streaks.

Of much more concern are the obvious roster problems and long-term problem areas with the club :

- giving up 35-45 shots every night but now not having probably the best goalie in the NHL to deal with it
- all kinds of makeup/matchup problems on defense
- no 3rd/matchup line up front
- completely ineffective bottom-6
- awful looking PK without Markstrom and Tanev

Those are problems that aren't going away quickly and need major attention, and we're in big trouble if we can't find ways to fix them. Pettersson? At some point in the next couple games our PP will light up, he'll get a couple points, and he'll be on his way.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I wonder if Green’s coaching has had any effect on Pettersson? He’s nowhere near as dynamic as he used to be so I wonder if his natural instincts have been muted? Other than that I don’t really know what’s wrong with him, but he doesn’t seem to even want to shoot. Maybe it’s just a confidence thing?

so we had three guys come into the league fully formed. we did literally nothing to develop any of them. and they were all statistically among the best in the league at what they did.

then each guy eventually hit a bit of a wall, and each guy bounced back: boeser with the first half of his sophomore year, petey tearing it up at the beginning of last year, hughes after the COVID break.

but all of them have regressed. i'm not saying travis' coaching makes them worse (though i'm not saying it doesn't either), but the things a young player has to do when the league figures him out, and when the league starts to pay ovechkin/mcdavid/karlsson-level attention to him, and when the refs start swallowing their whistles because reasons, green seems to have no idea how to help his players out there.

he didn’t use the same trainer.

his personal trainer is the head strength and conditioning coach for Vaxjo named Robert Lygdback as he didn’t go back to Sweden.

he stayed in Vancouver and trained with canuck staff, and we know of their short comings with players showing up not in shape.

ah the canucks training staff, which somehow destroyed what looked poised to be the greatest basketball dynasty of my lifetime.

32f3a4bfd55c7bff4ef6447eb5110183.gif

you know your organization is special when they go cross-sport, like a certain someone giving away t-mac.

anywho, i didn't watch last night's game, which probably was a good thing. but damn petey, this is savage

ELIAS-SLASH.gif

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
The hands are a much better target than the chest for a good whack

Hard to blame him though, he's young. He'll get better at target selection as he develops.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
It's embarrassing we are even having these talks. The media, for the most part, has been a joke from what I've seen.

Four games is all it took for people to turn on Pettersson. When I see things like this happen to players like Pettersson, it really makes a lot of sense why we don't deserve nice things.

Reactions: cookiefest

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
At what age are players allowed to be criticized for their play?

Hockey is the softest sport off the ice. Not referring to Pettersson at all here but just a general observation. Meanwhile in the NFL you have announcers saying Sam Darnold is “seeing ghosts” and it’s completely, and deservedly, acceptable.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
I think it’s fair to criticize his play. He’s been terrible. As long as nobody takes shots at him personally then I’m ok with it. I also wouldn’t write him off.
To me, he’s just been invisible apart from bad penalties and I think that maybe he’s slightly overrated (people thinking he’s in the elite category already). I’m sure he’ll get going again and be a good player. I hope he proves me wrong and does step into that top tier of players eventually.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Saying he's sucked ass is completely fair game and true but (especially given that there was no pre-season) you definitely shouldn't be selling your stock on him as a player.

Reactions: PM

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Pettersson will be fine but this valiant defense of any criticism whatsoever is hilarious. If you underperformed at most other jobs in the world for 4 days straight you’d be reprimanded far worse. Hockey media is still soft compared to most sports too. Soccer and American football media are savage in comparison.

Reactions: Zombotron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad