Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
You can't deny Matthews' production though...he has put up goals at an insane rate since entering the league. I don't know about Pettersson being the more valuable player at this point. He needs to take the next step to 95-105 point production to be in that discussion.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
You can't deny Matthews' production though...he has put up goals at an insane rate since entering the league. I don't know about Pettersson being the more valuable player at this point. He needs to take the next step to 95-105 point production to be in that discussion.
Yes, I might be exaggerating Pettersson a bit too much. But I highly value he's so versatile on the ice.

Reactions: canuckking1

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Yes, I might be exaggerating Pettersson a bit too much. But I highly value he's so versatile on the ice.

I actually agree with you here. Canucks without Pettersson on the ice 5on5 are a lottery team and when he's on the ice they're an elite team.

Age 21 season

Matthews

Leafs with Matthews on the ice -3

Leafs w/o Matthews on the ice +38

Canucks with Pettersson on the ice +26

Canucks w/o Pettersson on the ice -28

If the Canucks are looking at counting stats, he's lined up to get an Eichel level deal long term and probably 8M on a bridge. That's not even factoring in many players break out in their 3rd year, and Pettersson got the best crash course you could get in terms of checking and pressure by facing some of the best teams in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
For those with an Athletic subscription, Dom Luszczyszyn and Craig Custance embarked on a "tiering" project (as had been done in basketball) based on statistical projections for the league's top 100 players and input from team reps:

Pettersson ends up in tier "2A" (franchise player) along with Pastrnak, Marchand, Point, Stone, Eichel and Josi. There is no ranking within the tiers, keep in mind.

McDavid, MacKinnon and Matthews are alone in the very top 1A tier. There is also a 1B (Crosby, Panarin, Draisaitl and Hedman).

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Tbh I get it. Matthews last season combined Ovechkin-like scoring prowess with strong defensive play. McKinnon isn't the goal scorer he is, and McDavid isn't the two-way player. I see the argument for calling him the best player in the league.

Edit - For the record, I disagree (I would rank them McKinnon-Matthews-McDavid).

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Matthews at 1? Never change Dom :laugh:
As I said, the players aren't ranked within the tiers – so he's not #1, so much as in the top tier.

That said, in the write-up Dom is the first one to say this is a somewhat surprising result, but does explain it -- and it's basically (1) based on projection for the upcoming year, not strictly the record to date, and (2) what @Burke's Evil Spirit was hinting at. Goals are weighted more heavily and his defensive play is better than McDavid's (again, part of this is the eye test of participating teams' officials, so take it for what it's worth).

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Living in Ontario, I see a lot of Matthews. I love Petterson as much as all of you do but let's not underrate #34 in Blue and White. He is absolutely elite at the most important and difficult aspect of professional hockey, which is scoring goals. When he is dialed in, I absolutely concur with him being in that top tier. If the Leafs had any sense of team defence (which is not all on Matthews), his numbers would look much better.

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
How are folks feeling about the "rather have Pettersson over McDavid" narrative right now?

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Prediction: Quinn Hughes leads team in scoring. Wishful thinking: Canucks get Pettersson on a better long-term deal as a result

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyWooot

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
How are folks feeling about the "rather have Pettersson over McDavid" narrative right now?
At least I had the presence of mind to call myself insane for saying it and I had 6 beers in me when writing it, so there's that around that ridiculous hot take statement.

Pettersson has started off a bit sluggish, while Miller is clearly missed. His replacement Virtanen on the 1st line is clearly not an ideal situation and he is way above his punch level.

It looks like it was a bad idea by the Canucks management to order Petey to live in the gym. But we'll see, we're only two games in without any real pre-season, he'll probably find a way to adjust. I think we can all agree it's not a good idea to transform Petey into some kind of power forward hybrid, that's for sure, he needs to base his game on his agility.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rumsfeld

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Prediction: Quinn Hughes leads team in scoring. Wishful thinking: Canucks get Pettersson on a better long-term deal as a result

I don't like to say this but the best thing for the canucks future would probably be that Hughes and Pettersson have lacklustre seasons. If they play like a top-5 centre and top-5 defenceman in the league this year they are going to be able to command the equivalent contracts.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
He went scoreless in the first two games last year as well and the RTP if you count the exhibition game. Seems to be a slow started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad