Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Impressed with his battle level. Would love for EP to keep it a bit more simple in the d zone (one play stood out to me last night where he tried his patented huge toe drag move below the hash marks in his own zone), but overall you couldn’t ask for much more. As soon as we can get EP out there defending leads late in games, the better off the team will be for it. He’s such a smart player all over the ice.

This. They're better off having EP out there late in games instead of Beagle or Sutter.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Anyone have advance stats for the first 2 games regarding EP’s play?

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Last edited:
Reactions: vanuck

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Pettersson puts up 4 points in 4 games after being absolutely smothered by Minnesota and enduring total physical abuse.

He's 21 years old, still underweight and not even close to his prime yet he is producing as a first line forward on pure skill and IQ.

for some perspective, it took Nathan MacKinnon 4 seasons before he turned into Connoor McDavid lite.

Reactions: Canuckle1970

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Has anyone sort of correlated Pettersson's perceived "struggles" with his new skates? I feel like from the first time I heard he was getting used to a new edge, I noticed him being a bit more unstable on the ice and getting taken down a bit more often.

It's credit to him really that he still manages to have the best advanced stats on the team and plays at a PPG pace despite "looking" like he's getting taken down more often and being a bit less dominant. Dude is so good that he finds ways to create wins in any situation, he really does a lot of subtle things to drive the play on both sides of the puck.

Reactions: I am toxic

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
For now being the classic mitten in an autumn storm that Pettersson's physical posture is, I'm deeply impressed how he has handled it. He has handled the physical abuse and even bitten back, he's been angry but still containing his focus on his job: producing points. He didn't get many chances as the key player to stop for Minnesota and he was certainly pushed to be rattled by the opposition, but he still produced really well and held up. He still shows his talent, maturity and commitment. When Pettersson has 10-20 more lbs on him and is a more brawny player, he will be truly tough to deal with for the opposition. I'm not even mentioning aging mentally, he's so mature already. He already takes responsibility and accountability on the team, big time. Anyhow, I'm so impressed by how Pettersson handled playing Minnesota.

I'm so glad Boeser is back at his normal self after his tough season with all that came with it, on and off the ice. Boeser emerging more in the image of himself is a big help for Pettersson to take some pressure off. That was a big key for their line and to help Pettersson also shine. And Miller is Miller. He's a veteran quality player that has grown so much in a leading role in Vancouver.

But of course Hughes being such a monster, wow. I'm so happy for him. There's alot to be happy about even if they don't succeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: bcbill

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
You know you're already considered a superstar within a franchise, when you have 9 points (4+5) in 7 playoff games (with an adequate two-way game) and nobody feels like there's anything to discuss. I had to dig for the second page to update this thread and the previous post was also mine.

It's just Pettersson producing those highlight reel things every game - even at his age - while the coach, team and fans have other stuff to deeply worry about. Haha! Because Pettersson producing points is kind of like the 20th interest of discussion this playoff for the Canucks. He's just like clockwork right now and this thread proves it. He's developing juuuust fine. Holy hell the goals he scores, apart from anything else.

It's also kind of funny reading the St Louis board. The obviously lament their team for not being good enough, but they still give praise to the Canucks having some real talent. But when it comes to fear? "Don't let Pettersson take an open shot." They kind of agree his shot is really, really nasty.

Commentators: "Pettersson *PING* SCORES!" will be a... how will they shorten down his career retirement video when the time comes? Will it be a Lord of the Rings lengthy triology of all his worthy highlights for three home games? No, I'm not joking. Like 15% of his goals aren't highlight reel material.

Am I raving? Well, someone has to pick up the carrying bag of mentioning how freaking awesome Pettersson is when everyone else are silent. To feel some comfort, I post to you this just recently produced video:

Last edited:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Markstrom and Motte got the headlines yesterday, and rightfully so, but EP was instrumental in the comeback. He just kept on pushing and making things happen when most of the team was dead.
Indeed he did, he kept pressure, made sure the possession remained with some moves and put up teammates in good spots if they did their things right in the cycle - which they did.

Last edited:

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
Pettersson’s work on that Virtanen goal were similar a lite version of Crosby’s work behind the net on a Letang playoff goal against Ottawa.

This kid is really special and may just be the best player this team has ever had. I say that as a life long Sedin supporter but this kid has Datsyuk potential.

He dummied Bozak on that play so hard. Instead of focusing on the developing play Bozak lets Miller skate right by him just so he can get a hit on Pettersson for embarrassing him.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Pettersson’s work on that Virtanen goal were similar a lite version of Crosby’s work behind the net on a Letang playoff goal against Ottawa.

This kid is really special and may just be the best player this team has ever had. I say that as a life long Sedin supporter but this kid has Datsyuk potential.

Kid has put up 7 points in 5 games against the team that neutered the best line in hockey last year. At age 21!

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
I love seeing him drive down the middle of the ice with no fear. Also noticed he was slowing the game down and making space for himself. He has an alien brain.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

He will be battling Hughes for that title. He is better than Pavel was at his age in the playoffs anyways, so sky is the limit. However, Hughes is already best Canuck d man I have seen.

Reactions: Kreator

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
watching Canuck games and getting to alternate marveling at the puck control skills btw EP and QH is what made trudging along through the past 7 years worthwhile. Now if we can add a physically dominating puck retrieving presence to balance it all out.....

thenextone

Mar 19, 2005
New York City
Makes you wonder if the Sedins came into the NHL in 2005 instead of 1999, would they have actually been stars from the get go? It took the league to change and the twins to grow up for them to show the kind of jam and skill that EP40 has from day 1.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

He had a phenomenal game 5. He could be the greatest Canuck the franchise has ever seen. That's his potential.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
You know you're already considered a superstar within a franchise, when you have 9 points (4+5) in 7 playoff games (with an adequate two-way game) and nobody feels like there's anything to discuss. I had to dig for the second page to update this thread and the previous post was also mine.

It's just Pettersson producing those highlight reel things every game - even at his age - while the coach, team and fans have other stuff to deeply worry about. Haha! Because Pettersson producing points is kind of like the 20th interest of discussion this playoff for the Canucks. He's just like clockwork right now and this thread proves it. He's developing juuuust fine. Holy hell the goals he scores, apart from anything else.

It's also kind of funny reading the St Louis board. The obviously lament their team for not being good enough, but they still give praise to the Canucks having some real talent. But when it comes to fear? "Don't let Pettersson take an open shot." They kind of agree his shot is really, really nasty.

Commentators: "Pettersson *PING* SCORES!" will be a... how will they shorten down his career retirement video when the time comes? Will it be a Lord of the Rings lengthy triology of all his worthy highlights for three home games? No, I'm not joking. Like 15% of his goals aren't highlight reel material.

Am I raving? Well, someone has to pick up the carrying bag of mentioning how freaking awesome Pettersson is when everyone else are silent. To feel some comfort, I post to you this just recently produced video:

Hopefully your Swedish coach plays him more next time around.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I think with this experience, especially 11 points in 9 games against the bruising wild and defending Stanley Cup champs is the best experience Pettersson can have.

I expect him to have a break out season next year (More then PPG).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad