Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
If you include playoffs which is part of the 2019-20 season then he has 77 points in 77 games. So he’s been PPG over the entirety of the season.
Well more importantly quibling over a few points in this context is silly.

He will be a ppg player because he is pretty much bar a few points.

So in 5 years time has EP improved his game by 5 points a season. I hope so.

Reactions: Tb0ne

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Well more importantly quibling over a few points in this context is silly.

He will be a ppg player because he is pretty much bar a few points.

So in 5 years time has EP improved his game by 5 points a season. I hope so.

No matter how you slice and dice it. Both seasons, Petey don't get a ppg. It's like calling someone a 50 goal scorer when they got 47 goals. If you're in school, 86 percent was an A and you got a 84% which is a B. Now you go tell everyone that you got an A because it was close enough. That's silly.

I think for the most part Petey will be around 80 to 90 points. I see a few high Peak seasons around high 90s to a 100.

Petey didn't improve his ppg by much in the second year and his even strength points decline. It's not a sure thing that young elite players will see a hugh increase in their point total later on their career since young elite players they peaked really fast.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
No matter how you slice and dice it. Both seasons, Petey don't get a ppg. It's like calling someone a 50 goal scorer when they got 47 goals. If you're in school, 86 percent was an A and you got a 84% which is a B. Now you go tell everyone that you got an A because it was close enough. That's silly.

I think for the most part Petey will be around 80 to 90 points. I see a few high Peak seasons around high 90s to a 100.

Petey didn't improve his ppg by much in the second year and his even strength points decline. It's not a sure thing that young elite players will see a hugh increase in their point total later on their career since young elite players they peaked really fast.
No matter how you slice it?

Lol Ok.

sosallycanwait

Aug 20, 2020
Pettersson has been better against the blues
I think they are both the real deals.
I think Petey will break a 100 points regularly. Both Sedin twins did it in a less offensive era and Petey is way better when comparing ages.
Petey at his peak is a scary thought especially since his mind is like a computer, he keeps learning and finding new ways to get better. It wouldn't surprise me if he hits 35 goals and 60 assists next season.
The way he has adapted against a very good Blues team is just another experience he can store in his brain and use to make him better long term.
I know it's taboo to compare Petey to certain guys in Edmonton but those guys cheat for offense and it shows. I don't think plus minus is the greatest tool but when you score over a 100 points and are a minus player, I think it's useful in this context.
You would never see #29 or #97 make all the amazing defensive plays we have seen Petey make.

Reactions: Kushman

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
He will be battling Hughes for that title. He is better than Pavel was at his age in the playoffs anyways, so sky is the limit. However, Hughes is already best Canuck d man I have seen.
Sure, but the Canucks haven't exactly had the equivalent of Bure, Näslund or the Sedins on the blueline either. I mean, those are the guys Pettersson competes with as the best forward. Who does Hughes compete with? Öhlund? Edler? Jovanovski? I mean, still good defensemen, but they were never stars.

Don't get me wrong, I think the sky is the limit for Hughes as much as anyone else, I just want to nitpick a and study navel lint a bit.

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010

People call players that score 18 goals "20 goal scorers" and so on all the time. It's not an award, it's a way to quickly assess someones capabilities. So if someone is saying "we have a 50 goal scorer" when he "only" scores 47 goals every season you won't be seeing me objecting to that...

Reactions: Tb0ne

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
People call players that score 18 goals "20 goal scorers" and so on all the time. It's not an award, it's a way to quickly assess someones capabilities. So if someone is saying "we have a 50 goal scorer" when he "only" scores 47 goals every season you won't be seeing me objecting to that...
Well more so that the context of the orginal post was projection into the future.

Saying EP will be a point a game player in his prime which is like 5 years from now, when he is basically a ppg player now is, well not really predicting much.

I mean if Pettersson is still only getting a ppg in 5 years time I would be seriously concerned unless he develops into a more defensively capable player. Not that he isnt good at that already.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

Hmm.. I'm not so sure. This series against the Blues has shown that EP is getting much better at dealing with the added attention and cheap shots. In particular, in game 5, he started to puck handle more and protect the puck with his body more effectively. In 2-3 years, he'll begin to fill out and he'll be able to do those types of things all of the time, which will give him a new way to maintain possession. EP with more sustained possession rather than just relying on skill and creativity, because he's physically overmatched, can reach 100 points with regularity.

Reactions: Kushman

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Pettersson is already filling out and his 22nd birthday is less than three months away. In 2-3 years he'll be at the median physiological peak age (24).

He has the same character, work ethic and team commitment as the Sedins and is clearly a level above them on inherent ability.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
This kid is a special player, it’s his psychological make up and compete. Not all elite finesse players develop the non offensive aspects (eg battles in dirty areas, hard back check, blocking shots) so soon.

kid wants to win.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Kid really reminds me of Zetterberg/Datsyuk hybrid. Kid is definitely a franchise player, and someone you can build a contender around. I can honestly say the only young center I’d take over him in McDavid at this point.

His combination of offence+defense is something so rare. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Elias won a Selke one day his defense while contributing 90+ points.

Kid is an absolute stud.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
663641d5e6a8f37168c4e796364317fb6699bea3_00.jpg

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Took Over the series from game 3 on. 6 points in his last 4 games and 4 of them at even strength. Was creating so much offence for everyone around him.

Reactions: Starships
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad