Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
tbh the absence of boeser’s public statement on this sounds kinda loud to me

i know he has other things on his mind but all the twin cities players are speaking up aren’t they?

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
tbh the absence of boeser’s public statement on this sounds kinda loud to me

i know he has other things on his mind but all the twin cities players are speaking up aren’t they?
Not sure if you've seen Boeser's twitter, but he re-tweeted the Canucks' pledge of "Different Together" on June 1st.

I suspect that Brock is more comfortable "doing" than "speaking", like when he took that young lady to her Prom a few years ago.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
EP lost some steam as the last season went on, this rest can't be bad for him. The rest could be said to be equal for all, but perhaps EP benefits more than the average player.

Last edited:
Reactions: David71

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
EP lost some steam as the last season went on, this rest can't be bad for him. The3 rest could be said to be equal for all, but perhaps EP benefits more than the average player.

i agree. rest and heal bumps and bruises. im sure EP will be more dangerous than ever coming out of a long layoff. he's probbaly begun skating back in sweden already. so he will have a headstart on most of his teammates.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks Army predicting that one day Pettersson will win the Hart Trophy, even though he plays in the same division as Connor McDavid.

Also interesting that during his interview with TSN 1040, Tyler Tofoli said the 2019-20 edition of the Canucks was the most talented team he's ever played on. And that assessments includes the L.A. Kings Stanley Cup teams.

Lofty expectations. But Pettersson is just getting started.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Canucks Army predicting that one day Pettersson will win the Hart Trophy, even though he plays in the same division as Connor McDavid.

Also interesting that during his interview with TSN 1040, Tyler Tofoli said the 2019-20 edition of the Canucks was the most talented team he's ever played on. And that assessments includes the L.A. Kings Stanley Cup teams.

Lofty expectations. But Pettersson is just getting started.
Hopefully that makes Tofoli want to take a good deal and stay with the guys

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

ok he's just lying. he played on a team with doughty, kopitar, gaborik, jeff carter, mike richards, quick and martin jones in net. i mean, go down that roster: justin williams, dustin brown, voynov, muzzin, martinez, willie mitchell and robyn regehr, that team was stacked with talent.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I find the make up of this team, with Pettersson and Hughes leading the way long-term, to be at odds with itself. Most of the supplementary pieces are bigger, more versatile players. I often wonder what Pettersson could do with a highly skilled playmaker on his wing. Wonder if it will ever happen?

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I find the make up of this team, with Pettersson and Hughes leading the way long-term, to be at odds with itself. Most of the supplementary pieces are bigger, more versatile players. I often wonder what Pettersson could do with a highly skilled playmaker on his wing. Wonder if it will ever happen?
In theory it isn't a bad idea to have a good mix of skill and size/strength, assuming the bigger players also have a certain level of skill to keep up.
Hey Podkolzin is coming up soon. Based on his international tournament, he has good passing skills. Should be interesting to see him on Petey's wing.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In theory it isn't a bad idea to have a good mix of skill and size/strength, assuming the bigger players also have a certain level of skill to keep up.
Hey Podkolzin is coming up soon. Based on his international tournament, he has good passing skills. Should be interesting to see him on Petey's wing.
Just a tantalizing thought on a slow COVID afternoon, but trying to imagine a 'kid' line of Pettersson with Podkolzin on his right and Hoglander on his left.

That would push J.T. Miller and Boeser to another dynamite line with Horvat. And then a third line anchored by Gaudette, Virtanen and Tofoli or Pearson.

Now that would be scary proposition for the opposition.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

When we had the Sedins there was a train of thought that they needed a big strong winger to play with to get them the puck but in reality they were the real monsters along the boards.

Petey is most effective playing with players who can get him the puck in shooting position and also convert on the chances he generates. Miller has just been about the perfect linemate for Petey this season. As for a highly skilled playmaker, Miller ranks 14th in the league among forwards in assists. But sure it would be great to have an ELITE player on Petey's wing.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Just a tantalizing thought on a slow COVID afternoon, but trying to imagine a 'kid' line of Pettersson with Podkolzin on his right and Hoglander on his left.

That would push J.T. Miller and Boeser to another dynamite line with Horvat. And then a third line anchored by Gaudette, Virtanen and Tofoli or Pearson.

Now that would be scary proposition for the opposition.

Yep. in a couple of years we are going to have a pretty scary hockey team. Too bad we can't afford to pay them all.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Yep. in a couple of years we are going to have a pretty scary hockey team. Too bad we can't afford to pay them all.
Might be a good thing with the cap likely staying level for a bit. Good chance re-signing EP to a long-term deal after his ELC is over might not be as expensive it could've been. Look at the Leaf high priced talent. Think they're contracts were based on a bit more rosier future (when their contracts were signed).

But most of our "scary guys" are upfront. Sure it's great having what looks to be like an elite guy on the blueline but you need D that can also play defense at a high level. Tanev/Edler ain't going to be around forever.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Might be a good thing with the cap likely staying level for a bit. Good chance re-signing EP to a long-term deal after his ELC is over might not be as expensive it could've been. Look at the Leaf high priced talent. Think they're contracts were based on a bit more rosier future (when their contracts were signed).

But most of our "scary guys" are upfront. Sure it's great having what looks to be like an elite guy on the blueline but you need D that can also play defense at a high level. Tanev/Edler ain't going to be around forever.

a few more years, and we have Rathbone coming as well. With Tryamkin Hughes Myers and a few long shots in Woo, Juolevi, etc, and Fantenberg and Benn to round out the top 6 I think we will be ok.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

I think Nyquist could have worked very well here. Or, Teravainen, Nylander etc... A player like that. Someone that relies on his skill to do well, instead of alternative aspects.

Reactions: timw33

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I think Nyquist could have worked very well here. Or, Teravainen, Nylander etc... A player like that. Someone that relies on his skill to do well, instead of alternative aspects.
Unfortunately due to cap issue we will most likely have to rely on cheap ELC. Nyqvist last summer would've been great. Miller was a good target.
I see the ideal linemate for EP is M. Tkachuk. Somebody who is elite down low, can win board battles, is a great passer and scorer, doesn't need to carry the puck a lot to be effective, and draws attention away from Petey with the way he plays. I think he would work better than Nylander/Teravainen type pure offense players.

carrotshirt

Jan 1, 2009
Unfortunately due to cap issue we will most likely have to rely on cheap ELC. Nyqvist last summer would've been great. Miller was a good target.
I see the ideal linemate for EP is M. Tkachuk. Somebody who is elite down low, can win board battles, is a great passer and scorer, doesn't need to carry the puck a lot to be effective, and draws attention away from Petey with the way he plays. I think he would work better than Nylander/Teravainen type pure offense players.
On top of that, Tkachuk’s size and toughness would be able to answer for any liberties opponents take on our boy Pete.

Hopefully Podkolzin will be able to bring some of these traits to the top line.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
On top of that, Tkachuk’s size and toughness would be able to answer for any liberties opponents take on our boy Pete.

Hopefully Podkolzin will be able to bring some of these traits to the top line.
Podkolzin isn't actually that big, listed as 6' exactly and weigh 190lbs. I'm not sure he is "tough" in the traditional sense either. He'll bring a different dimension, but size and toughness aren't something that should be expected of him, in my opinion.

carrotshirt

Jan 1, 2009
Podkolzin isn't actually that big, listed as 6' exactly and weigh 190lbs. I'm not sure he is "tough" in the traditional sense either. He'll bring a different dimension, but size and toughness aren't something that should be expected of him, in my opinion.
Sorry, I meant more the traits you'd posted about, not the toughness of Tkachuk. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pod in a few scraps in the NHL though, guys with motors like that tend to not be shrinking violets.

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Been very very surprised with the snarl and physical play that EP40 has shown in the 1st 2 games vs the Wild. I dont think its a good idea he keeps trying to lay the body because his body isnt big but at the very least he has shown the Wild that he isnt just a skilled player you can push around. It reminds me of the way Bure used to have an attitude.

Does someone have clips of EP40s physical play or hits thus far. thanks in advance

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Impressed with his battle level. Would love for EP to keep it a bit more simple in the d zone (one play stood out to me last night where he tried his patented huge toe drag move below the hash marks in his own zone), but overall you couldn’t ask for much more. As soon as we can get EP out there defending leads late in games, the better off the team will be for it. He’s such a smart player all over the ice.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Loved the push back and snarl last night. Hope Hartman is ok, but that and punishing them on the PP is the way to eliminate the worst of the physical targeting against EP.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
idk maybe i still have some evolving to do but even now in 2020 i still think that when a guy is taking liberties with you in a playoff series and he's made it clear that nothing the refs and/or your own teammates do (or don't do) is going to put an end to it, a gloved punch to the back of his head is the appropriate response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad