Player Discussion Elias Pettersson, Pt. VII | Enjoys: Being Mr. Everything, pronouncing it "Peter-son"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
When I talked with Gradin in whistler he said he personally didn't want pettersson to play wing because of the board play required, and it wouldn't help his creativity.
He wanted a winger to take a hit to make a play to Pettersson
Not Pettersson take a hit to make a play to a center

Seems like he was right. It's fun watching skate all over the middle of ice. Plus his goal was just that. A winger taking a hit (Goldobin I think).

Pettersson isn’t a lock to continue playing centre. He had a great debut. He reads the ice well, but for a coach it will come down to battling down low and winning face offs. If he can continue to do these things, he’s an NHL C. If he can’t, this franchise will have to find an NHL C.

The discussion you had had with Gradin is similar to the one that occurred here before the season started. The change is in evaluating how best to use him offensively instead of how best to use him defensively. A coach will tend to weight the latter element to a greater degree. And so, Pettersson’s future at C is still very much up for debate.

Reactions: Drop the Sopel

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I remember I wanted Pettersson or Glass.

There was one thread after the draft more than half of users were not happy with the Pettersson pick.

Reactions: DownGoesMcDavid

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Pettersson isn’t a lock to continue playing centre. He had a great debut. He reads the ice well, but for a coach it will come down to battling down low and winning face offs. If he can continue to do these things, he’s an NHL C. If he can’t, this franchise will have to find an NHL C.

The discussion you had had with Gradin is similar to the one that occurred here before the season started. The change is in evaluating how best to use him offensively instead of how best to use him defensively. A coach will tend to weight the latter element to a greater degree. And so, Pettersson’s future at C is still very much up for debate.
Pettersson did extremley well as a winger, but at the same time he looks good as a center also.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

Yeah he'll probably struggle quiet a bit, and I could see them moving a center up to move him over after a stretch of really struggling
I just hope that it isnt Sutter. I've just never been of the way Sutter uses his line mates.

Yep. The exact thing that Gradin told you about happened on EP’s first goal :)

He didn't say that's how it specifically was going to happen. He just said he thinks pettersson is better off not being a winger and taking hits to make plays like most NHL wingers to start off.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
This is why I always ask people for quotes, because their “remembering” is usually ****.

Literally my first post in the Pettersson draft thread (page 8):
Ya, I “wanted nothing to do with Pettersson”. Good job.

My Mistake then

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Pettersson is extremely smart, and it is why he will succeed at either centre or winger. While there are differences, I find Pettersson to be quite comparable to Datsyuk in his ability to think the game, both offensively and defensively. This quality is what allowed Datsyuk to be a very effective centre at the NHL despite the fact that he wasn't big or overly physically. As an aside, it is the lack of this quality which limits Virtanen so much. Two players on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Yes from 161 to 176 lbs now. Still maybe a bit lean for his height but he is very elusive so I don't think it's a huge issue.

6’2 176 from 161 is actually a very big improvement. Size will not be an issue for this kid

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Help make Leafs fans cry: https://bit.ly/2zV4WQ7
I'd rather not debate with them anymore. I had a long debate with this leafs fan this summer on the prospects board.

To this day, I have watched a lot of highlights from the SHL where EP looks amazing, but having watched every game he played in both world juniors and the summer showcase, I have still never seen him have a good game. His production was pretty decent in the most recent WJC, but it was PP points and the couple ES points came against low end teams. Otherwise he was pretty meh. I have never seen an impressive performance from EP on NA ice. I hope he becomes a star, but I am not sold at all.

Reactions: Tv9924

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
I feel like I've watched an above average amount of Pettersson over the last year and his success doesn't surprise me at all. It's hard to explain but his IQ is visibly better than basically everyone else. He's like .5 seconds ahead.

Thank god Canuck fans. Thank god.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I feel like I've watched an above average amount of Pettersson over the last year and his success doesn't surprise me at all. It's hard to explain but his IQ is visibly better than basically everyone else. He's like .5 seconds ahead.

Thank god Canuck fans. Thank god.

Meh, he owed us.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Elias Pettersson is a superstar.

Not only is he unbelievably smart, but his skill set makes him dangerous every time he touches the puck. He must have some of the best puckhandling skills in the entire NHL. Tonight, he must have deked three or four players out of their pants, and he has so much control in tight spaces. It's remarkable to witness. He is quick, has a tremendous release, and sees the ice so much better than most players.

I am in awe.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
They need to spread the scoring 5 on 5. Besides Boeser gets to play with Petterson in the PP.
I agree. Unfortunately Horvat carries the puck too much on that line and just doesn't have the vision to find his wingers. Boeser needs a setup man and Pettersson is already an elite level passer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad